Author Topic: Growing and spaying questions...  (Read 455 times)

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
Growing and spaying questions...
« on: April 25, 2014, 06:09:12 PM »
So, Pebbles has just had first season, and is now 9 months old.

We want to get her spayed, but want to wait until she has stopped 'growing'...read a bit about growth hormones being affected by spaying, and potentially causing issues with joints, etc.

Am aware 8 months is a little on the young side for a cockers season (from reading this forum), so don't want to cause any issues by having her spayed too early.

Is anyone aware of when a cocker stops growing?
Is it just the growing upwards stage (or the filling out stage, too) that people mention can be affected by spaying early?
Also, what is the different types of spaying - full, ovary, etc?

Any help greatly received :-D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MummyJane

• Site Member
    • http://
Re: Growing and spaying questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 11:18:58 PM »
I have a similar dilemma, we will be bringing our first bitch puppy home in 6 weeks.  Although we have plenty of time, it is something that worries me.  The more I read the more confused I become, all I want to do is what's best for her x

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 11:51:14 AM »
If you are going to spay there is growing evidence to suggest, as you say, to do so after the dog is fully grown due to the effect of cutting off the hormones required during the growth stage.  In the future I would be looking at 14 months minimum before I spayed a cocker spaniel - older for larger breeds. 

Don't have too much info on the different types of spay - but am sure someone will be along soon :)
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »
I understand you can now have key-hole removal, I think it just removes the ovaries not everything, I bet someone will have more knowledge of this.
Kez (now 4 & 1/2) was only 6 months when she was done, this was because it was what the vet advised.  :o
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline Des

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 02:42:31 PM »
Bonnie had her first season at about 11months, the vet advised us to wait 3 months after season which is what we did.After her operation she now has a real aappetite and food has to be monitored, she was a fussy eater before her spay.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 06:44:40 PM »
I looked at my girl after her first season and thought she was too small and immature to endure such a big operation, I waited until her second season and I'm glad I have, she has matured so much in that time and is now around 11kilo's.

I have her booked in for key hole next month, they take out the overies only just as they would do with a conventional spay, they will shave more of her belly and will only have two small incision wounds.

Our vets go by weight and there is a risk that they may need to convert to a conventional spay if there is heavy bleeding or things are not where they expect them to be etc,. :huh:

I believe the price to be around £200
Bea will be modeling baby grows for a while afterwards  :005: :005:

Offline annclare

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 06:53:21 PM »
Having lost my lovely Hollie in April, I am happy to say I have now got a new cocker. She had a litter at Easter and will be 7 next month. I have always had my cockers spayed but not been as old as this. Would appreciate comments/advice pl.