Author Topic: When to castrate?  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Brooksuk

• Site Member
When to castrate?
« on: March 15, 2006, 09:25:14 AM »
Fred is now 7 months old and has always had only 1 descended testicle. The vet advised us when he was young that if the other one didn't descend we would have to have him castrated for health reasons.

I don't have a problem with having it done but would like some advice as to how old he should be before we do it. His one descended testicle is getting quite big now and I just wanted to make sure I either don't get it done too early or wait too long.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Re: When to castrate?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 05:23:58 PM »
Unless your vet suggests otherwise, I would still be inclined to leave him until about 18 months so that he is fully mature. Our vets ten to tell people that if it hasn't come down by the time the dog is about a year old, then it will more than likely have to be removed surgically so I wouldn't say it was something that you would have to have done immediately
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 06:08:17 PM »
I followed the advise from expert COLers and decided to wait until Molo was 18 months old before I considered castration :) I had been told that they don't fully mature if they are castrated before this - and I certainly noticed a difference in Molo's behaviour once he "matured" at about 14 months or so.......I often wonder if he'd still behave like a loopy puppy if he had been done at 6 months  :-\

As it is, we have decided to leave him entire - obviously, if Freds retained testical hasn't appeared by then, then you have to take your vets advise and have it removed :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 09:33:41 AM »
I'm at very early stage with Paddy - only 4 and a half months old, so not ready for an early or a late op yet!

This business of the dog being "mature" - is it only to do with behaviour or does it have physical side effects if it's done too early? 

In all honesty, I haven't made my mind up.  I often think - leave him entire, unless/until there are behaviours or issues which castration would (or would probably) solve.  Other times, especially when one of my friends tells me about dogs being "fondled" by strangers in the park - to check if they're entire and worth nicking for breeding - I get determined to do it as a precaution.  then I calm down and decide that's a dumb reason to do it....

I'd be really interested to hear from people who went ahead with the op as to when and why they did it, and whether it's panned out as they expected/hoped.

Denise

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 09:13:48 PM »
My two were done at 7 months and 9 months both at the same time so I had two of them wearing collars and pants and trying to lick each others stitches :lol:

The main reason for this was that they kept eyeing each other for a scrap and Mikey was getting a bit pushy towards my eldest son and had started to chase the odd bitch.  I did think long and hard before having them done and Freya (crazy spaniels) said she had had hers done at 7 months and hers were fine so I went for it and seem to have made the best decision for me - although I can't say it might be the right thing to do for everydog but I have 2 adolescent males so it was the right thing to do for me.

My mum has a golden ret who was castrated at about 10 months and he did stay very much a puppy - and with a 6 stone dog that can be a bit of a problem but if my two stay as they are now for ever then I don't have a problem :blink:

Is the undescended testicle the only reason for castration?  or are you experiencing behaviour probs that could be associated with a young dog with his hormones kicking in?
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 09:29:00 PM »
Alfie was just done at 20 months. I had no intention of getting him done when I got him (my last lad was entire) but by time he was 18 months he was showing behaviours that were not being corrected by training alone.
Caroline and Alfie

Offline daunting

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 10:15:17 PM »
Think Harley is long overdue for his  :o

This is what i woke up to the other morning - nice  ::)

He is booked in for Tuesday  :005:
Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 10:40:41 PM »
 :rofl1: :005: :rofl1:
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 11:05:46 AM »
OMG :rofl1:
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 11:10:30 AM »
pmsl at that pic  :rofl1: :rofl1:

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 11:12:01 AM »
anyone for a game of conkers  ph34r :005: :005: :005:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline dave w

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 03:27:25 PM »
looks like me on a morning   :005: :005:

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 03:34:12 PM »
You braggin' or complainin'??!!?? ph34r :005:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 06:35:37 PM »
 :005: :005: Bragging, but pretending to complain!!!! :lol: ;)
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline Brooksuk

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 12:52:22 PM »
Fred is not showing any signs of very bad behaviour so our only reason for castration would be health concerns over his undescended testicle.

Great picture!!! I love the way cockers seem to like sleeping on their backs with leg spread!!!!