Author Topic: why is my 7 year old cocker so obsessed with food?  (Read 854 times)

Offline bre

• Site Member
why is my 7 year old cocker so obsessed with food?
« on: February 11, 2007, 01:45:19 PM »
my red male cocker spaniel has recently started tremoring with excitement when food is around. He has always been a scavenger but over the last 3 monhts he has got worse and we cannot understand why he has suddenly started getting shaking so much that his teeth chatter when we walk into the kitchen or the bathroom where we keep his food.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: why is my 7 year old cocker so obsessed with food?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 01:47:01 PM »
How is he in other ways? Any changes to anything in his life, in behaviour or traits? Could be worth getting him checked out by the vet if nothing has changed.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 04:19:42 PM »
Bre

Agree with Pammy about getting him checked by the vet - but could it be something to do with his diet generally?  Have you changed foods or feeding regime (e.g. timing of feeding) recently?  My dog Paddy (only 15 months) used to have a mania for food (beyond cocker greediness) but that was to do with malabsorption of nutrients because he suffered from colitis - changing his diet made a 90% improvement in his health and he settled down to "ordinary greed" levels.  Perhaps discuss with your vet whether there could be any nutrient deficiencies?

What food are you feeding him with?

Offline spanielkiss

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 09:24:33 AM »
my dog is obsessed with food also . As soon he sees the food bowl out he starts getting very excited .
He often completes some very impresive mid air pirouettes before diving into his crate , which generally skids across the room and slams against the wall   :005: :005: :005:(he is fed in the crate ). I always worried he had a problem but he is just a piggy .