Author Topic: Blasted Ticks  (Read 6015 times)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Blasted Ticks
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2004, 05:29:14 PM »
eeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwww - I think if I found a tick on me - you'd hear the screams across the nation. :roll:   :x                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Blasted Ticks
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2004, 05:48:51 PM »
eeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwww - I think if I found a tick on me - you'd hear the screams across the nation. :roll:   :x

Pammy my first tick was bodyless - I thought it was something sticking in my leg - pulled it out to discover legs and jaws :shock:  Didn't realize it was a ticks head until it was out!!  The 2nd wasn't so big a shock - helped because it was tiny - had to stay calm as well because my 4 year old was sitting on my bed when hubby saw it - I was getting up at the time.  Now if I ever find a spud size one on me - cover your ears because I would freak then!!  I find it amazing that you can't feel them :evil:  horrible things!! :x  I know you can get them out with a fingernail - but, even with it in my leg - i couldn't touch it - daft I know!!  Had to be tweezers.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
Blasted Ticks
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2004, 05:54:33 PM »
What a co-incidence - I found a nasty little tic on Pickle today :( . I have to say, I dont think it has been there since last weekend at Tentsmuir, as I have only just noticed it today and it was on his EYEBROW! Like 2 mm above his eye - the cheek of it! It was teeny tiny, bright red - and I tried like nothing on earth to pick it off, before realising what it was. Luckily Pickle was in at his breeder's being groomed today, so she dealt with it for me. There is a little bald patch where it was, so goodness knows what she used to remove it, but it's gone, and that's all that matters!
If I ever find one on me.......I will have a wobbly! Laura, as you are the nearest COL-er to me, I'll be straight round to yours at 100mph for emergency assistance!
Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Blasted Ticks
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2004, 06:26:28 PM »
If I ever find one on me.......I will have a wobbly! Laura, as you are the nearest COL-er to me, I'll be straight round to yours at 100mph for emergency assistance!

Emma I have my tick remover at the ready - just hammer on my door - you know where I am  :lol: or I can lead you to Gill !! 8)  If it was from Tentsmuir last week - it would have been the size of a balloon by now  :shock:   We seem to have a few tick infested areas around our neck of the woods right now Emma  :evil:   Where have you been walking?  No-one will want to come and meet us again - Looks like it is me and you :roll:  Talking of which - we are post op and raring to go again after Friday - if you fancy going tick catching :?  :lol: Wonder if Gill would be interested? Will drop you a pm.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Blasted Ticks
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2004, 06:31:25 PM »
or I can lead you to Gill !!

HMPH!!!                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline PennyB

Blasted Ticks
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2004, 08:19:27 PM »
Don't know about ticks I've just been cutting live slugs out of Ruby's fur Yuk or what!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Blasted Ticks
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2004, 08:21:32 PM »
Ok Penny - you win :lol:  :lol:  :lol: That has to be the most revolting thing....ever :shock:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Blasted Ticks
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2004, 11:18:29 PM »
Never mind a "babe magnet" Butty is a complere "Slug Magnet" too Penny  :?  they are gross  :shock:                    

Offline gc

• Site Member
    • http://
Blasted Ticks
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2004, 09:12:46 AM »
During warm/hot periods of time April/October, I put on Balu a frontline ambule every month and I change the scalibor twice. For the rest of the months I apply the frontline only every couple of months.

What I've read very recently about these fluids:
=> When we apply them on the neck or spray them, the fluid is tranfered via the under-skin fat. While the toes do not have much fat, the fluid doesn't have a good affect there. So the ticks or fleas can actually start their travel from there. Frontline spray (or any spray which works in the same way) are better because you actually spray it everywhere, especially in areas like the toes. The only withdraw, is that you must wear gloves, and be on an open area...even though non-toxic, it's still an antiparasite thing... I used to apply the spray but then I stopped because I was annoyed from the smell.

I also use a natural herbs combination (spray use), while being on areas with many mosquitos and/or midges (is that the right word for this mosquito-alike-bug?).

Leismania is spread via infected midges. Derofilaria (heart worm) is spread via infected mosquitos. Both severe illnesses can be found mainly in suburbs where mosquitos and midges can find animals to bite and feed themselves. In urban areas in Greece, 1-2 years ago, no cases have been reported, while in suburbs we had something like 120-140 cases in total. 1-3 years ago, a couple of humans have been affected by leismania too. Last year some cases have also been reported in a county near my city. We usually go there for vacations as we also do this August.

Sorry, this was a large post...                    
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Blasted Ticks
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2004, 01:00:25 PM »
As far as I'm aware I don't think Lottie has ever had a tick but I've just noticed a small oval 'thing' on the back of her neck.  The only way I can describe it is that it looks a bit like a tiny broad bean, off white/greyish in colour and seems attached by the end :?

I have no idea what a tick would look like but reading back over previous threads there seems to be a lot of variations on colour and size.

So, am I barking up the wrong tree here :?:   She doesn't usually walk in the areas that ticks are likely to be picked up but a couple of weeks back we did walk her where there is often cattle and she was bounding about in long grass :?                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Blasted Ticks
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2004, 02:45:32 PM »
As far as I'm aware I don't think Lottie has ever had a tick but I've just noticed a small oval 'thing' on the back of her neck.  The only way I can describe it is that it looks a bit like a tiny broad bean, off white/greyish in colour and seems attached by the end :?  

Sounds like a tick I'm afraid Mary :wink: Our dogs don't pick up ticks v often but when they do, they tend to be this shape & this colour - think they are sheep ticks?

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Blasted Ticks
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2004, 03:19:30 PM »
Sounds like a tick to me to  :?  I saw one for the first time yesterday and I was talking to a lady with a cocker and she was stroking him as we were chatting and suddenly went " uh oh...tick alert! " :shock:  and promtly pulled it off with her finger nails  :shock:  :shock:                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Blasted Ticks
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2004, 03:26:41 PM »
Sounds like one to me too :cry:                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Andrea L

• Site Member
Blasted Ticks
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2004, 07:33:20 PM »
UUrrggghh Gilly.......That is gross :shock:                    
lots of woofs n' licks,
Andrea, Silas and Marley

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Blasted Ticks
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2004, 10:12:56 PM »
[Sounds like a tick I'm afraid Mary :wink: Our dogs don't pick up ticks v often but when they do, they tend to be this shape & this colour - think they are sheep ticks?

Jane

:(  Oh dear, now I'm feeling a bit apprehensive about what to do :?

Although I trust you all I'm unsure whether to have a go at removing it (ok..Jim will have to, don't think I can cope with this  :oops: ) incase it isn't one and we do some damage :?  Would it be safer to go to the vet as a precaution :?:                    
Mary & Lottie x