Author Topic: 2 of my dogs lost part of their tongue  (Read 1114 times)

Offline fi61

• Site Member
    • http://
2 of my dogs lost part of their tongue
« on: May 06, 2009, 02:13:32 PM »
I tried to copy something I had written about Processional Pine Caterpillars onto here but it did not work!!!  This is a very short version but I hope people will read it and pass the message on, sadly I have not been able to put the photo's on as I did with the other piece.

I had never heard of these caterpillars except that they walked around in lines in the Alemeda Gardens in Gibraltar , you find them in France, Spain and Gibraltar, they nest in pine trees.  One of my cockers suffers from allergies and when her tongue started to swell, she was dribbling I was on the alert, she then had a seizure and obviously I rushed her to the vet, it was not her allergies but these caterpillars, she had touched one.  Over the following days the smell was so awful you really felt you needed to keep your nose covered, it was rotting flesh, my vet told me part of her tongue was going to fall off, as you can imagine I felt dreadful my poor Poppy if only I had taken 5 mins to look on the internet to see what was in our area that could harm her she could have been saved all this stress.

Another of my cockers went through the same thing even though they were no longer allowed in the garden and she also lost part of her tongue.  My other 4 dogs then started with what sounded like really bad kennel cough, took them to be checked and it was the dust from these caterpillars that had caused the distressing cough they all had.

Please even if we only save one dog from me writing this pass the message on.

Many thanks
Fi

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: 2 of my dogs lost part of their tongue
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 02:21:29 PM »
So sorry to hear this. I'm very familiar with the caterpillars as we stay at a relatives house in the south of France quite often and have a real problem with them nesting in the trees in the garden there - but I don't take the dogs so not had to deal with that. My Aunt and Uncle live in Western France and my Uncle has had a bad incident with them their also.

For UK based users, as far as I'm aware they're not here yet but with climate change it's probably only a matter of time.

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline skyesmum

• Limited Member
  • My 2 Girls!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 02:37:37 PM »
How awful for you, I was so sorry to read your post.
xxx  Gill, Skye-de-Pie and Puppy Ruaidh  xxx

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 02:49:25 PM »
Oh I'm so sorry! How horrendous for you and your poor doggies.
Thanks for sharing, I am sure lots of us will find it very useful info. I for one am planning to take Molly to our house in Spain in the future and would have not known anything about this.
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 02:55:30 PM »
I have never heard of these and I am so sorry to read about your doggies  :'(
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 03:03:01 PM »
how awful for you and your dogs, can you spray your garden to kill them , i hope your dogs recover ok, please keep us updated on their recovery
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline AllyH

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 03:05:33 PM »
So sorry to read about your doggies and Thank you for posting this - we are taking Ozzi to France in August so will have to look into these and see what they look like. Are there any specific areas that they habit or are they all over France?

When did he take over my life?:-)

Offline fi61

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 04:14:53 PM »
August is fine in France they come out from January to April.  I would suggest you search the net on the area you are going to, leishmania is all over now so you should look at drops or a collar and keep dogs in after dark.  Before the caterpillars I looked things up as I came across them, BIG MISTAKE.  We have had 2 monpellier snakes which would kill the dogs if they were bitten, I live in Spain 10 mins from Gib and when I told a friend about the snakes she said they did not have them in Gib., my reply 'snakes do not carry passports, if we have them so do you!!!!'

Offline AllyH

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 07:30:53 PM »
I have ordered a Scalibor collar from the vets, which I was recommended to have. Thank you for the info, I am very grateful.

Hope your doggies are ok now and are coping with the heat ok in Spain  :D
When did he take over my life?:-)

Offline Helen_Marsden

• Limited Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 08:40:51 PM »
Oh my..I have never heard of these. Lets hope they dont get to the UK.

Offline fi61

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 08:52:24 PM »
I am so grateful to cockers on line so that we can get the message out, for those kind people who have asked about my dogs now they are very happy cockers but whenever Poppy drinks water I feel so sad she lost a quarter of her tongue and makes a lot of noise when drinking because it is so much harder for her now but otherwise she is fine, Milly did not loose as much thank goodness and she is just great but then what cocker is not great!!!

Offline BabyB

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 10:13:37 PM »
Like others have said, thank you for sharing your sad story.

I'm pleased that they are ok now though  :-*
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind