Author Topic: What can I give to help her poo?!  (Read 638 times)

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
What can I give to help her poo?!
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:48:33 PM »
Hi Everyone! 

Paisley was spayed on monday, as you know no food from 7 the night before then light meals of chicken and rice etc.  She had her first full (normal kibble) meal this morning.

Well she seems to be struggling to poo.  She squats, a tiny bit comes out (firm) and then she tries to keep going but whimpers and then lies down  :huh:  I think it hurts her to push it out!  And since she's not eaten much in the last few days I guess it's not coming out as easily as it usually would IYSWIM! 

So do you think I should give her some mushed up bran flakes or something? Would I mush them up with water or milk?!

She's going to the vets tomo for her check up so I'll mention it then but I'd like to help her, it's horrible to see her in discomfort  :'(

Thanks

Becky
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Re: What can I give to help her poo?!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 01:56:26 PM »
Misha had the same problem (was told it was a side effect of the aneasthetic).  I was advised (by Nessr) to try canned Chappie as this has alot of fish oil and is easy to digest or alternatively some of the Hills canned I/D food. 

This thread might be of some help as well.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=63972.15
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 01:57:38 PM »
awww bless her, yes bran can be given (in her food is probably best - not with milk), psyllium (sp)  husks or a tsp of mineral oil a couple of times a day.

you could give her some sardines in oil for dinner (but drain off a good proportion of the oil  ;) )
helen & jarvis x

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 02:00:20 PM »
Aww poor baby :(

I stand to be corrected by I've been told liquid paraffin can make things a little easier, but not sure it's sufficient to make her go IYSWIM
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
Thanks for the tips!  I'll try some chappie later as I bought a can a couple of weeks ago "just in case".

If that doesnt help then I guess the branflakes and sardines will be another option!  Don't want to try all at once or I might end up with the opposite problem!  :P

The link to the other thread said it was fairly normal after anaesthetic for them not to go for a few days so I'm glad it's normal!
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline puppy love

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 03:00:10 PM »
Watching this thread with interest as Saffie is having her op on Monday, although not nice to hear that Paisly is uncomfortable. Saffie has such a low pain threshhold - she cried when she had her jabs- such a sensitive soul. Good luck with the Chappie and let us know how she is later. Big hugs to you.... :luv:
Mims Saffs & Ins xxx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
I stand to be corrected by I've been told liquid paraffin can make things a little easier, but not sure it's sufficient to make her go IYSWIM

It does but I'd probably try the other stuff first, I've given LP to horses in the past to get them 'shifted' and it often causes a bit of leakage ph34r
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 03:39:59 PM »

It does but I'd probably try the other stuff first, I've given LP to horses in the past to get them 'shifted' and it often causes a bit of leakage ph34r

Lovely....think I'll stick to the other stuff!  Wouldnt have a clue where to get liquid paraffin from anyway!  ::)