Author Topic: Toilet training - puppy pads??  (Read 2207 times)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Toilet training - puppy pads??
« on: March 04, 2004, 05:28:40 PM »
Hey Folks,

toilet training is going ok at the mo in our household... luckily for us we have a lot of laminate flooring ;)

The problem is this:

I lay down newspaper to cover the floor... but because the girls end up playing and running about the newspaper ends up... well crushed ripped and generally not laid on the floor! As a result we gave up and only lay newspaper at night, but even then they end up playing/moving the paper around (although not as much) and she will always piddle on a spot where there is NO paper... she's been trained backwards :roll: during the day we put her out and tell her 'be clean Jenni' after each play seesion, meal and when waking .. she kinda 'knows' thats where she should go, but as yet hasn't the hang of asking .. hardly surprising as she's only 9 weeks! but if you watch her she goes to the door, if its closed (which it usually is) she about turns and looks for a cosy spot on the laminate :roll:

I was looking at these puppy training ads and thought 'hey that might be a better idea than newspaper, not as much needs laying down and hopefully it will smell like a good place to piddle'!!  
- So I am looking for testimonials ... are they any good?? please help me save my laminate flooring!! :D :D                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 06:12:52 PM »
:D Hi Kelly

I gave up with the newspaper too with Indie, for this reason, I did try the puppy pads, but much the same happend with them they moved about :roll:

So I gave up both the newspaper and the puppypads altogether, and did as you are doing with Jenni, take her out very often and command for her to do her "stuff" it worked for me :)   Is Jenni crated at night?                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 06:21:01 PM »
At the moment no Emma, if you lock her in the crate she howls and cries the whole house down - even if you're standing in front of it :(
This isn't conducive to a good nights sleep - she was ok for the first 2 nights, but after that she just turned into a hellbat ... nextdoor work shifts so we thought it best to leave her out
 :oops:  :oops: they are both locked in the kitchen at night - she has access to the crate (the door is always open) but prefers to snuggle up to Millie.

we are locking her in the crate for a few minutes each day, praising her for quietness and just generally going about our stuff.. trying to make it normal for her... when shes quiet we let her out - and we try not to speak to her when she's howling... I've read that if the puppy howls / cries you should bang on the top loudly ... but this just makes her howl more :( we've also tried covering it with a blanket - no difference.
Hopefully building her up a few minutes a day will help - we've really no idea what caused her to decide to howl in there .. she obviously decided we were soft touches  :oops:  :oops:  :twisted:  :D                    

Offline andrea

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 06:23:19 PM »
Hi Kelly,
I tried puppy pads with Bleu and she used them most of the time. But we ran out of them and used newspaper for a few days until I could go and get some more. As soon as I got more she wouldn't use them any more. At 12 weeks she thinks it is much more fun to shred them up! :roll: We are having much more success with putting Bleu outside and saying 'Wee-wee' much the same as you are doing.

Andrea, Phil and Bleu                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 09:19:39 PM »
Kelly - save your money!!  I thought they were rubbish.  If I put one down at night, invariable in the morning there were shredded green and white bits of it absolutely everywhere.   :evil: The only thing I found they were good for was clearing up a puddle.  If Georgia weed where she shouldn't have done they were really absorbant to clear up the mess.  Not what they were designed for but that's how I managed to use up the jumbo super size pack I'd bought.

I guess someone will come along and say they were great but - hey every dog is different.

Loraine  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 10:53:37 PM »
I agree with lorraine.  But if you decide to go ahead I have 2 spare pack going free  :lol:   'cos Morgan didn't think much of them, so won't be using them with cocker no.2 when he arrives  :wink:                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 11:06:24 PM »
so won't be using them with cocker no.2 when he arrives  :wink:

:shock: AHAAAA caught that :wink:   Is there something in the water, or is everone just cocker crazy :lol:   Ohhh so come on Shirley spill them, what colour?                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 11:58:09 PM »
:lol:   :lol:   :lol:   You are quick, Emma   :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

He's blue roan  :D   He's 10 weeks old  :D  and hopefully will be winging his way to Lewis on Saturday  :D   He's called "Bencleuch Blair Drummond"  :D  and I can't wait  :D   :D   :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 12:41:48 AM »
:shock:  :shock: Sorry to take over your thread Kel, but I am stunned and shocked you kept that quiet Shirley 8)

Open your own post, so we can all congratulate you :wink:                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 07:49:30 AM »
That was quick Shirley :wink:  :lol: Thats excellent news - can't wait to see a photo of him. Have you decided on a name yet?

Kelly, I used those pads with Vegas and he did pee on them but as he got bigger he just started to shred them up :roll:  But it certainly stopped him peeing on my floor which was carpeted at the time. Don't think I'll buy them again though.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2004, 12:38:30 PM »
I use the pads with Indie, and I like them.

I'd tape newspaper down maybe and try that? The pads are so expensive I wish I'd not started using them!

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2004, 01:00:37 PM »
Shona

Would it be any cheaper to use the disposable baby changing mats?  Pampers do them :)   Its worth a look :!:                    

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2004, 10:39:03 PM »
hehe  - no problems with hi-jacking the thread Emma :)
I'm glad that my thread exposed such a sneaky cocker-acquiring :lol:

As for taping down the paper .. hehe I tried .. just ended up with bits of tape and little bits of paper stuck to the floor ...  :roll: you have this to come Shirley :D                    

Offline mrs hamster

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2004, 11:09:07 PM »
I gave up with the pads because they have a plastic backing and in my mind that could be a danger when chewed and they were!!!
Jane                    
Dull women have immaculate homes