Author Topic: Grass seed ruptured eardrum - please take care !  (Read 5725 times)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Grass seed ruptured eardrum - please take care !
« on: June 23, 2004, 06:36:35 PM »
Have just brought one of my girls, Georgie,  back from the vets - where she has been today to remove a grass seed from her ear.  It has ruptured her ear drum - poor little girl.  She is on antibi's and has some eardrops and has to go back next week.

I am going to be so scared to take her for a walk now !!  

Please take care everyone!                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 06:40:45 PM »
Very sorry to hear this. As you can see from a previous post of mine, my Daisy had a grass seed go right down into the ear canal - very painful for her, but fortunately the drum didnt rupture. It's that time of year when everyone needs to be careful I'm afraid  :( I hope Georgie makes a full and painless recovery over the next week!                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 08:05:20 PM »
Oh Suzysu, that sounds awful :? .  I hope Georgia has a speedy recovery.  Plenty of pampering shoud do the trick :) .

Mike, is Daisy okay now?  I think I must have missed that post before  :?   Sending her belated hugs and cocker kisses from Morgan and Cooper.

It's surprising how dangerous grass seeds are.  In February Morgan had to be knocked out to have one removed from the surface of his eye - it had dug right into his eyeall and he was in a lot of discomfort.  No lasting damage thankfully.

Hope but your girls are better soon.                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 08:51:25 PM »
Thanks Mike and Shirley - Georgie is getting lots of treats tonight !!

Does anyone use the snoods I have seen advertised or anything else for covering the ear - I am getting paranoid now !!!                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 09:51:33 PM »
Poor little Georgia   :cry: - we are sending her lots of love and licksters from Wigan.

Luckily where we walk there is no long grass but after everything that's happened recently I'm getting a bit paranoid about avoiding it at all costs  :shock:

Hope Georgia is up and at it soon.

Louise                    
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

scoobie

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 09:53:48 PM »
Ahhh poor little Georgia that sounds really nasty :cry: hope she feels better very soon
Edith and scoobie x                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 09:59:39 PM »
Poor Georgia!

Hope your feeling better soon                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 10:56:44 PM »
Awwww......Poor little girl. BIGS HUGS

This seems to be a common problem.....is there anything to prevent it?
Are the grass seeds visible?
I assume it's because of the length of the cockers ears, it's not a problem I've encountered with Goldie.                    

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 11:49:56 PM »
Thanks Mike and Shirley - Georgie is getting lots of treats tonight !!

Does anyone use the snoods I have seen advertised or anything else for covering the ear - I am getting paranoid now !!!

These grass seeds can get anywhere. My vet found one embedded in Ruby's throat last year (they only found out when they extubated her after her spay op so it saved us another anaesthetic) and another cocker I know had to be operated on after one had worked its way up into the dog's paw.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 09:22:22 AM »
Awww poor girl, get well soon Georgie, Big                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline gc

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 09:25:15 AM »
oops, get well soon...                    
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 06:37:40 PM »
Thanks everyone - Georgie is brighter today.  Unfortunately my other girl Daisy bumped into her and she yelped so I think it is sore.  Hopefully the tablets and drops will help.

Have done a bit of a 'blue peter' today! - Had an old pair of black tracky bottoms and have made a sort of large hairband which stretches over the head and holds down the ears - one for each of them.  Don't know if they will work - will let you know,

Paranoid mummy !                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 07:29:15 PM »
Hi Suzysu,
I hope Georgie is feeling better today. I had the very same problem last year with Alfie. He had to be sedated as he wouldn't the vet anywhere near his ears!!!  :evil: Anyway the vet sugested I use a pair of underpants on him!!!!!   :oops:  :oops:
I made him some snoods and he wears it when we go out throught the fields. People in the village now recognise him from a distance as I have made him a waterproof one in light green. :oops:  :lol:  He also has one in camouflage material !!!  :lol: I don't care if people take the mickie as I don't want him to go through that again.
Take care                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 10:28:29 PM »
Hi Suzysu,  
 I have made him a waterproof one in light green. :oops:  :lol:  He also has one in camouflage material !!!  :lol: I don't care if people take the mickie as I don't want him to go through that again.  
Take care

Lou, have you thought about making some more of these and selling them at the likes of London Cocker?
I bought one from a lady selling them there a good while ago and they went like hot cakes  :D                    

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004, 11:52:27 PM »
Yeah great idea! It is definitely better to be safe than sorry :wink: !!
Ours may look like wallies out an about - but at least we know that they will be ok :) . As their health is mre important  :D .
I would be interested in a waterproof one too! As ours do tend to get a little wet - from rain and dew on the grass.
A few years ago I remember someone saying that they got something, which sounds like what you have made :? . They were like boot covers...when walkers wear waterproof pants they apparently place these covers over the boot and bottom of the pant. However we looked around the walking shops up here and there was no sign of them :roll: .