Author Topic: Grass seed ruptured eardrum - please take care !  (Read 5727 times)

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
Grass seed ruptured eardrum - please take care !
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2004, 06:35:42 PM »
Sorry to hear about Georgie's plight and hope she'll feel better soon.  I must admit at this time of year allowing them to run free in fields where there are grasses is a bit risky.  Mine have to make do with pavement walks on leads! :D                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2004, 07:14:36 PM »
Gosh what a frightening tale!  We haven't walked Woody in a park yet but were planning to next week.  Is there a certain time of year when this problem is more prevalent?  Perhaps a month when the grass seed is more liable to be spreading?  I hadn't even considered this as a potential danger!  Thanks for making us all more aware of this problem!! xxx                    
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline PennyB

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2004, 08:57:44 PM »
Gosh what a frightening tale!  We haven't walked Woody in a park yet but were planning to next week.  Is there a certain time of year when this problem is more prevalent?  Perhaps a month when the grass seed is more liable to be spreading?  I hadn't even considered this as a potential danger!  Thanks for making us all more aware of this problem!! xxx

Its usually a particular type of grass seed thats the worst and to be honest you'll probably get away with being able to take Woody on parts of the park. Just keep away from long swathes of grass (the short turf like stuff is fine) if you're not sure. I take mine into long grassland but it doesn't contain the barbaric form of grass seed that is a hazard.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2004, 10:33:35 PM »
:oops:  :oops:
I have to say my halo has slipped :oops: I was checking Alfie this morning and I have had to remove Three grass seeds which were embedded in his skin  :shock:  under his armpit. They were all together like a spear head and he bled afterwards.  :cry: but he was so good and let me take them out and then I cleaned the wound. I hate these blasted grass seeds. :twisted:  :twisted:
 I check him each time we come back in from a walk but I have to say usually it's his feet and his head that I check, I've not checked his armpits before. I will be from now on though.
I don't know about making snoods I think I'll have to progress to body suits.  :roll:                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2004, 10:49:57 PM »

I don't know about making snoods I think I'll have to progress to body suits.  :roll:

Funny you should say this Lou...today, with the awful conditions  :evil: lots of dogs were covered in half suits. But a few springs and afghans had lovely waterproof suits (that included a waterproof snood) all in 1s - very nice :) . We could of definitely of done with one :wink: !                    

Offline dog2

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2004, 09:22:47 PM »
could you please tell me exactly how to make a snood?I am glad I read this topic and will stay away from long grass for a while.We have walks on open land where there is a bit more sand and pine cones rather than grass hope this will be better?                    

Offline Eljay

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2004, 09:20:16 PM »
Snoods are really easy to make. They are just a length of material sewn into a tube and then stitch elastic around each end  :lol:

They help to keep all sorts of bits out of their ears.  :lol:  :lol:
good luck                    
Alfie, and Jay J. together over the Rainbow Bridge. Always in our hearts but dreadfully missed.

Offline taniac

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2004, 04:07:35 PM »
How do they stay in place.. Neo would probably shake it off!!  I spend half my walk removing the damn darts from his body esp. his ears!  I'm trying to be extra vigilant as he got one in his ear last yr and I'm sure if it happens again we'll have to sedate him to get it out! :(                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2004, 04:34:05 PM »
How do they stay in place.. Neo would probably shake it off!!  I spend half my walk removing the damn darts from his body esp. his ears!  I'm trying to be extra vigilant as he got one in his ear last yr and I'm sure if it happens again we'll have to sedate him to get it out! :(

Well it is a tube of material which is like...wrapped around the ears, O this is hard to describe :? . Errmmm...it goes over the head and you tuck the ears into the material - It actually works every well :D , as the ears tend to weight the snood down, so the ears don't fall out of it. I find it makes them much happier, as they can still run and knowing cockers with their noses to the ground all the time, it allows them to do so, with out making a mess of their ears :wink: . Its great for times when it can be a little wet or mud as the ears are not dripping wet :) .
I'm off to snooze n snacks tomorrow so will probably get a few waterproof 1s. They should be better as sometimes they do tend to get an ickle wet :roll: .
I av never made one, should really give it a go...it can't be that hard :? .
Sue, did you once make one for Sonny?                    

Offline taniac

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2004, 04:41:21 PM »
Snooze and snacks? Sounds like a fab place... Think I'll have to get my mum to help me make one as I've never seen them down here.

Anyone seen them on a website?

Tania (Neo & ickle Jovi)                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2004, 04:52:59 PM »
Snooze and snacks? Sounds like a fab place...

LOL! Not really sounds more impressive than it actually is, and certainly the stall and their vans look a lot superior at the shows - its a fallin down Barn.
But it always seem that when they go to shows Gundogs are on the middle days or last and they have sold out of most things that you want :roll:  :roll: , so its easier just to go to the barn :lol: .

Well I have found some funny pics of cockers and a cute ickle cav in snoods but I have no idea how to post a pic on here :?  :lol:                    

Offline taniac

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2004, 04:58:31 PM »
Of course my only other problem is getting my partner to agree to letting me put it on the dogs!!! He didn't go for the all in one suit at all and there was me trying to save drying time!!  :lol:                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2004, 06:56:32 PM »
Grass Seeds what a nightmare.  Benji our beloved golden cocker (who unfortunately passed away three weeks ago) was always getting grass seeds.  He had a grass seed stuck in one of his toes it took ages for his paw to heel and got to the point that I had to bandage it with horse bandage (excellent stuff) before a walk otherwise he would have not been able to go out for weeks.  The worst time was when he got a grass seed stuck in his ear drum - we had to do an emergenry trip to the vets to have it removed it was a nightmare - what I did during grass seed season was to cover his ears with tights!!, now I know that sounds funny but I made sure the tights were the same colour as him (golden) We cut the thigh bit of the tights to made a head band and put it over his ears to hold them down when we took him out it work a treat he was able to still run in the fields and enjoy himself.  Has anyone else done this?? or am I the only mad one.

Wendy                    
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2004, 06:11:19 PM »
Wendy, I used to do the same with Gunnar. Grass seeds are rife here, we have grass verges and the council only get round to mowing them every other month. So after having two trips to the vets in that many months the tights came out. 40 denier done the trick every time and wasnt noticable unless you got up close. Just a band wide enough to keep the ears flat to his head - problem solved :)

Suki                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2004, 06:39:36 PM »
Great idea - will try that.

Made some out of jersey material but it did'nt stay on very well - thanks for the tip.                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"