Author Topic: Grass seed ruptured eardrum - please take care !  (Read 5726 times)

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
    • http://
Grass seed ruptured eardrum - please take care !
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2004, 09:51:51 PM »
i know someone esle asked but i  don`t know if they got an answer is there i a certain month or 2 or 3 that these seeds become a problem? we`ve got a bad ear problem with wax ,i`m dreading grass seeds now :?                    
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline PennyB

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2004, 11:32:28 PM »
i know someone esle asked but i  don`t know if they got an answer is there i a certain month or 2 or 3 that these seeds become a problem? we`ve got a bad ear problem with wax ,i`m dreading grass seeds now :?

Wilf has had terrific problems with wax but its all sorted now and nothing to do with grass seeds.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline taniac

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2004, 09:58:22 AM »
In Hertfordshire the bad grass seed time is now. The dart type grasses have all dried and are coming apart, if the dogs go near them they're like magnets.  I check them over about 3 times whilst out walking!

Both my boys have waxy ears.  I just put drops in once a week and gently clean round their ears.                    
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2004, 07:34:38 PM »
Hi boys and girls

Just to add to this warning - we came back from the vets yesterday £130 lighter and with Millie with 2 ruptured ear drums and 2 sets of tablets to take  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: all just before her new snoods arrived in the post

So please please please, all those of you who don't at the moment, make sure that your babies wear snoods when you're out and about in the long grass  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2004, 07:37:44 PM »
Poor Millie :(  Hope she feels better soon.

The boys send her big wet licks to aid her recovery  :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2004, 08:17:32 PM »
Really sorry to hear that Kelly - hope Millie makes a swift recovery - and your wallet  :(                    

Offline Louie

• Limited Member
    • http://www.dreamistcockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2004, 08:37:52 PM »
Hi two of my girls picked grass seeds up last year. Emma ended up with an ear infection even though it was removed the same day as she picked it up, she was sedated and the grass seed was huge, the vet kept it to show me. Tina my oder girl picked hers up about a month after Emma and this was a smaller one but still very painfull. I am paranoid about them now and try to avoid longer grass as much as possible. Only thing is the dogs make a bee line for undergrowth as short grass is boring. This time of year is the worst for them as they are starting to dry and are more easily picked up by spaniel ears! :(                    

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2004, 10:19:57 PM »
Please dont forget that these grass seeds can get in between the toes and work their way in through the skin causing huge problems. I remember seeing on a program a dog who was paralized due to a grass seed working its way to the spine.

I hate to be an alarmist but Gunnar was a grass seed magnet and many were pulled from between the toes and under arms. A few we missed ended up with trips to the vet for removel under GA :(

Suki                    
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2004, 08:40:51 AM »
Awww poor Millie, i hope she soon starts to feel a bit better.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2004, 08:57:14 AM »
Aaawww Poor Millie.  Hope she's better soon.  Morgan and Cooper send her lots of sloppy get well licks :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2004, 04:40:54 PM »
Of course my only other problem is getting my partner to agree to letting me put it on the dogs!!! He didn't go for the all in one suit at all and there was me trying to save drying time!!  :lol:

Perhaps you could persuade him by letting him pay the vets bill  :wink:
Seriously though, they are VERY painful for the dogs and for the sake of looking a little silly they are much better off for wearing one.
Have just found this site http://members.tripod.com/~ACacheOfJewelsA...nnex/snood.html Shame it's American as some of them look really nice  :D                    

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2004, 04:33:10 PM »
Have been away so missed this - poor Millie - please send her lots of cocker kisses and cuddles.  

Hope she is feeling a bit better xxx                    
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"