Author Topic: Smelly!!!!  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
Smelly!!!!
« on: July 19, 2004, 04:33:32 PM »
Hello *cough* all,

Rusty smells - BADLY!  :x  *phewwww*

Over the past few days, he's been letting off just about every 10 minutes *choke* and he is absolutely stinking!

He made an unplanned visit to the vets on Saturday morning as on the Friday night, he had been biting himself around the bum and crying. So we nipped down to our vet to see if there was anything noticably wrong.

It turns out, his anal glands were swollen, so the vet helped relieve him of the swelling, oooorgh! Since then (maybe coincidentally) he has been letting off and its stinky.

He's also been sick a couple times today, both times after eating his dinner and both times after eating half the grass in the garden!

I had taken him to our local grassy area for a run around this afternoon which is about a 5 minute walk form the house. I let him off his lead for a run and he immediately ran and I mean "ran" all the way home, crossing a road in the process. This was very unlike him, as when off the lead he always stays close and always recalls no problem. As soon as he got home, he was sick, more or less in the exact same spot as before.

So anyone any advice for a smelly and sick pup?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Smelly!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 05:32:35 PM »
Sounds like Rusty has an upset tum. You need to starve him for the rest of today but make sure he still has fluids (don't let him have big gulps of water though or he might be sick again).Tomorrow, start him on a bland diet of plain rice & chicken (cooked of course) for a day or two. Also feed him some plain live yoghurt to help his tummy settle. If no improvement or Rusty continues to be sick, then you'll need to go back to the vet.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Rusty

• Site Member
Smelly!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 09:07:13 PM »
Hi Jane

Thank you for your advice  :)  I will try this tomorrow.

Thanks

Elle and Rusty                    

Offline PennyB

Smelly!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 12:04:32 AM »
Is he only still quite young (13 weeks?). Personally as he is quite young and if he's still sick after starving him for a day I'd speak to the vet (even if you just phone them and they may anyway just give you the advice of the rice and chicken or whatever).

As an aside at this age anyway its always useful to socialize your pup at the vets—I used to take mine to be weighed, get wormers, every time I bought the cat food etc. and it paid off for the future (plus I would get a sneaky consult/basic advice if I had any worries about my dog even if its just speaking to the vet nurse).                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline net_masters

• Site Member
    • http://
Smelly!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 03:26:00 PM »
Ok, so my pup isn't a Cocker (he's a staffy/lurcher x) but he's a bit of a poorly boy today....

When I got up this morning he had 'number 2'd'-and it was vile, very watery and stinky.  He seemed fine in himself-went out for his morning wee as per usual then shouted at the cat for a bit, so I gave him his breakfast (he's on Burns Mini Bites) which stayed down fine.  He then went out to the loo a little later, and again it was very loose and smelly, and this has continued throughout the day.

We've had a lovely long walk in the park, and he  was his usual mad self (I made sure he'd been to the loo before we went, so there was minimal chance of him doing anything other than wee while we were out), since coming home he's just plonked himself in his bed and not moved-not like him at all.

His food is staying down fine, and he hasn't been sick at all-just very loose stools.  I did get him some dried tripe a couple of days ago, and he's had a few little bits of it, so I wonder it's just that the tripe is too rich for him so has upset his tum a bit? (He's almost 8 months old).

Any suggestions guys?  He's nice and hydrated so I'm not worried about that.......                    

Offline PennyB

Smelly!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 04:39:23 PM »
Burns can make them rather smelly!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!