Author Topic: Yet Another Food Query  (Read 1298 times)

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Yet Another Food Query
« on: February 07, 2006, 11:49:46 AM »
Paddy has had diarrhoea for over a week now.  I mentioned in another post that blood appeared last Wednesday so off we went to the vets.

Vet said he can't digest the dry food he's on (Nutro Choice) and there's been a vicious cycle of food causing diarrhoea, diarrhoea and food irritating gut and bowel, blood in his pooh.

I got several tins of Royal Canin prescription-only tinned dog food from the vet,  which I've been feeding and he loves it, head down, tail wagging, doesn't come up for air till he's finished.  However, the diarrhoea has only marginally improved.

Vet also suggested moving on to Nature Diet.  I've had two cases delivered direct, as you can't find the Puppy variant for love nor money.

Do you think there's a chance I'll ever be able to get Paddy back, happily and healthily, onto dry food?  I'll be honest that the question is motivated by my preference for dry food - good for his teeth etc, but hugely convenient for me.  I'll feed him whatever is best for him, as the most important thing to me is for Paddy to be happy and healthy.  But....

Does anyone else have any suggestions or experience to share?  I'm going to stick with Nature Diet if he's happy with it, for several months, but do you think that (eg when he's one year old), the physiology may have developed sufficiently for him to switch back to dry (albeit something other than Nutro)?

Sadly, BARF is out of the question because of my circumstances, because it sounds interesting.  

All advice/opinions gratefully received!

Thanks

Denise

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Yet Another Food Query
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 08:18:27 PM »
Hi Denise

I hope Paddy settles down with his new diet.  You could give raw bones as a treat - they are good for the teeth, or raw hide chews and nylabones?  

I'm interested that the vet said that Paddy's diarrhoea (glad you can spell it  :lol: ) was down to dry food.  That may be my Ben's problem.  I've switched his dry food for a different one so will keep an eye on it.

I have no idea if you'll be able to swap him to a dry diet later - I'm a 'beginner' myself  :)

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Yet Another Food Query
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 09:33:44 PM »
If he has still got diarrhoea I would starve him for 24 hours to give his digestive system a rest then I would only feed him a very bland diet like fresh gentley cooked chicken and rice until his motions are back to normal. Then gentley introduce the Naturediet. Works everytime for us so far.

I can thouroughly recommend Naturediet we have been using it for 2 years and are very happy with it so far, we would never go back to a complete dry food again.

Dry food is no better for teeth than wet food it depends on what has been added to the food. I have found some dry completes have made my dogs teeth dirty far quicker than some other brands. A fresh recreational marrow bone is a good idea for keeping teeth clean and contains no nasty additives or preservatives. ;)
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline k

• Site Member
Yet Another Food Query
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 09:47:12 PM »
I must admit I thought a dry food was supposed to be better for the teeth. Do you ask the butcher for the fresh marrow bones? I'm asking this as Bramble won't chew on the produced dental sticks and now he turns his nose up at pigs ears. He also has not been good at having his teeth cleaned andI have noticed there is already some build up( I presume plaque ) on his teeth which for an 18mth old can't be good

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Yet Another Food Query
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 09:52:21 PM »
I must admit I thought a dry food was supposed to be better for the teeth. Do you ask the butcher for the fresh marrow bones? I'm asking this as Bramble won't chew on the produced dental sticks and now he turns his nose up at pigs ears. He also has not been good at having his teeth cleaned andI have noticed there is already some build up( I presume plaque ) on his teeth which for an 18mth old can't be good
[snapback]184582[/snapback]

Ask the butcher for bones. He may not have marrow bones but will often have rib bones which are just as good. Now he will be able to eat part of the rib but dont panic - raw bones are safe to give although I never leave a dog alone with a bone.

Also its worth asking in supermarkets that have a butchers counter

Caroline and Alfie

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Yet Another Food Query
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 09:53:07 PM »
Our 18 month old had a very similar problem, and had previously been on a dry food. When we got him, we starved him initially before changing to Naturdiet, and his poos changed literally overnight. He now dos firm ones, with no blood or mucous in them, to be honest I'm sticking with it purely from the no runny poo angle - I'm just glad it suits him so well.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Yet Another Food Query
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 09:59:02 PM »
I must admit I always thought dry food was better for teeth but have found that some brands cause the teeth to build up plaque much quicker.  We also give ours Natures Menu tripe and veg mixer biscuit with their fresh tripe in the mornings so they do get to crunch their teeth into something!!! Also they have home made crunchy dog biscuits when i have time to make them. ;)

I use to de-scale their teeth about once a month with a de-scaling dental tool but have been visiting the butchers recentley and they cut me up some beef marrow bones into bits about 15cm long and these have been keeping there teeth nice and clean. Also keeps them occupied for a while aswell.

Jazzy gets really violent with her bone she slings it around everywhere, pulling at it with her teeth... it is quite amusing to watch :D

Visit our website

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Yet Another Food Query
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 03:22:50 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies: I've been hesitant about keeping him food free for a day, but if he's not better this evening when he goes to the loo, he'll be on short rations tomorrow!  Poor little lad.

Blimey, Nature Diet pongs if you heat it in the microwave.  Thought I'd give it a try as per the pack suggestion, thinking that if it was more aromatic, he'd like it even more.  That worked, but I was opening doors and windows like a hooligan afterwards.  Yuk.  Well, guess i'll have to get used to it!

I'll ask the butcher for a few chunks of beef marrow bone this weekend too and supervise him when I give him one.

Started to introduce teeth cleaning last night, and Paddy loved it: liked the toothpaste and loved the rubby-rubby business with the finger brush.  Still only on baby teeth.  He's 14 weeks old today: when should he start teething?

Thanks again for the replies.

Denise

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Yet Another Food Query
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 03:43:08 PM »
I would hold off the bones for a while till you have some time of solid poos. If his tum is inflammed then bones are probably not the best to give for now. Also they can be constipating for a dog not used to them
Caroline and Alfie

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Yet Another Food Query
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 08:51:16 PM »
Denise

Not sure of the average age for teething but Ben started at 4 1/2 months and had finished at about 5 1/2 months  :) He didn't get the bad breath that some have noticed but he did leave blood and small teeth all over his toys  :o I thought he would stop the manic chewing a bit - but no - he still chews for England :P

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Yet Another Food Query
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 09:32:49 PM »
If you think Nature diet pongs try raw tripe!!!! I have never smelt anything so disgusting in my life!! The dogs love it though :D

Visit our website