Author Topic: black coat  (Read 695 times)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
black coat
« on: May 16, 2006, 07:19:04 AM »
Hi all about to start having a go at Kody's coat he is now 6months woolly as ever and OH away ha ha
(he likes him woolly) he is looking brown in patches which I think is puppy coat please correct me if I'm wrong and also just under his chin he has about a dozen white very brittle hairs don't think they are whiskers, well Indi doesn't have whiskers there what do I do with these. With Indi I clipper the head and ears, hand strip the rest should I just clipp of the white or dye them black just joking  :005: do all black dogs have white on them somewhere?
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Re: black coat
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 08:54:12 AM »
Paddy's got a few tiny white hairs in the middle of his bottom lip - look closely and he looks like it's a small goatee beard!  I just leave those alone, but they are just as soft and short as the rest of his fur.

On the brown patches, Paddy's puppy fluff on his legs (which is really - at six and a half months - the only puppy fluff he's got left in noticeable quantities) looks like a faded dark brown.  Three months ago it was definitely black so it has faded over time.  I'm using the Coat King vigorously on these areas a couple of times a week and am seeing great improvements already - it's only in the last three weeks or so that any of the leg fluff has been coming out well with the Coat King.  The silky stuff that's showing through is all black. 

Am I right that you're in Australia?  I know when I got Pads at Christmas I read old threads that talked about the sun's effect on their coats, their skins and their noses in particular - may be worth doing a search.

As for ears and face - I'm going to trim Paddy's underside of his ears with scissors but not letting clippers near the rest of him for the time being - he's getting a bit "beardy" on the face but I want to see what his full proper coat looks like as he gets older before deciding how to trim him long term.

Do you have any pictures of your dog so we can see what you mean?

Denise