Author Topic: Bella's First Walk  (Read 857 times)

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Bella's First Walk
« on: June 12, 2005, 01:12:04 PM »
Well Bella has now had her first walk :D

Slightly delayed because of her being poorly but it didn't matter because she really enjoyed herself :P

We went to Dunstable Downs where there is all different tracks going in different directions with long grass in between, she skipped along quite happily and followed us as we went along (we let her off lead), if she was ahead of us she also kept stopping and turning to make sure we were following ;)

A nice little walk and she was very well behaved. Looking forward to tomorrow's walk now :D

Offline Bo's Mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Bella's First Walk
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 02:37:18 PM »
aww im glad she enjoyed her walk we have another two weeks to wait until Bo gets to go on his, how long did you take her out for.and have you been training her to come back to you as you mentioned you let her off the lead xx
carly x

Offline dreamcatcher

• Site Member
    • http://
Bella's First Walk
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 03:00:02 PM »
:P Sounds like Bella had a lovely first walk, dunstable downs is a lovely place :D
Remember Shilohs first walk and he was just really scared just kept sitting down and crying, it took weeks before he enjoyed it now he cant get enough of them :D
Enjoy many more :D
TANYA AND SHILOH

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Bella's First Walk
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 05:36:07 PM »
aww im glad she enjoyed her walk we have another two weeks to wait until Bo gets to go on his, how long did you take her out for.and have you been training her to come back to you as you mentioned you let her off the lead xx
[snapback]131676[/snapback]

we've been trying to train her to come although she doesn't always do it at home :rolleyes: she seemed to respond better on her walk. I think it's because when we're at home she knows she's 'safe' I suppose whereas when you're out and about she wants to stay with you so she followed us anyway, we didn't really need to tell her to 'come'.

we let her offlead because my sister-in-law said that when they are young like this they are less confident and will come because they want to be with you rather than waiting until they're older when they're more confident and less likely to come.

we took her probably only for about 10 mins, just a little walk up one of the paths and then back again.

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Bella's First Walk
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 05:37:35 PM »
:P Sounds like Bella had a lovely first walk, dunstable downs is a lovely place :D
Remember Shilohs first walk and he was just really scared just kept sitting down and crying, it took weeks before he enjoyed it now he cant get enough of them :D
Enjoy many more :D
[snapback]131679[/snapback]

ah, bless him :wub:

Bella wasn't reluctant at all, just trotted along sniffing everything! and yes, Dunstable Downs is lovely, it will be nice when we can go a bit further :D

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Bella's First Walk
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 06:12:46 PM »
Aww what a good girl you are Bella, sounds like you had a lovely time  ;) xxxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline PennyB

Bella's First Walk
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 10:44:17 PM »
Glad you both enjoyed Bella's 1st walk. My two were the same, quite confident to be out but not so much that they didn't want to go far when let off.

You'll still need to practice recall as she'll get more confident and easily distracted. I often did the hiding and running away (still do to keep them on their toes just in case they get complacent!).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Bella's First Walk
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 09:26:40 PM »
That sounds like the perfect first walk. Glad she's better too.

When they are very young you are quite safe letting them off lead (so long as you have checked the safety of the location - roads, other dogs etc) because they don't want to go too far from you.

As they get older though, and more confident....well, they do try to wander off a bit. That's why you need to get the recall going as soon as possible.

Our breeder suggested we do a 2 level recall: an ordinary voice recall, with a kibble type treat as a reward. Then for more urgent recall, a whistle with a high level treat such as cheese or frankfurter. We have done this, and so far he's been almost perfect. In fact the other day he was haring off after two dogs when I whistled and he turned in mid-air and ran back with his ears flying in that adorable cocker way! Much praise for that!

We realise that at 5 months he is soon going to turn into a real Kevin, so we are making sure to recall several times during each walk, always getting hold of his collar, commanding a "sit" and rewardeing before releasing him to play again.

Have fun, it's great once you can get them out and about isn't it?