Author Topic: Worried About Ruffy  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Worried About Ruffy
« on: August 20, 2005, 10:02:13 PM »
He's a great wee man, but it has to be said, he has a delicate tummy. I'd say he developes a squirty (sorry  :ph34r:) botty about once every couple of weeks.

He retches and bokes alot too. Some times he's slightly sick other times nothing comes up. He usually does this in the morning, but just lately he's been doing it lots during the day.

He also tends to be on the thin side.

I've booked an appointment at the vet on Tuesday morning, so I hope we can get something sorted out.

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
Worried About Ruffy
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 10:08:57 PM »
Awwwww, fingers crossed that it is nothing more than a delicate tummy.  

I'm sure everything will be fine.  ;)

Let us know what the vet says xx
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Worried About Ruffy
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 11:32:18 PM »
Awww poor Ruffy - fingers and paws crossed here that it can be treated simply, let us know how it goes  ;) xxxxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Penel

Worried About Ruffy
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005, 12:04:11 PM »
Perhaps he's got IBS - what do you feed him on ?  hope the vet can shed some light on his problems.

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Worried About Ruffy
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 03:32:43 PM »
I really hope so Pen - he was on Hills Puppy, then I changed too Burns, but the weight melted off his wee bones, he got painfully thin.

On recommendation from the vet, I switched him back to Hills, and he initially started to gain weight very gradually, but I think he's looking thin again.

Some mornings he'll eat others he won't. On Friday morning his wee tummy was gurgling and squelching away and he wouldn't touch his brekkie, then he developed the runs.

He has this bokkey cough too which is worrying. It actually sounds like he has something stuck in his throat, then he seems OK again and eats and plays away as if nothings wrong.

He has boundless energy and doesn't act like he's ill, but he's so scrawney looking.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Worried About Ruffy
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 03:33:24 PM »
Hope the vet visit goes well. Let us know.

Penel

Worried About Ruffy
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 07:02:05 PM »
Mmm sounds just like my friends lurcher that's just been diagnosed with IBS  :(  she's now on turkey and sweet potato (exclusion diet) and for three weeks she has not been sick or had diarrhoea.  She also gives her Nutri plus gel to make sure she is getting all her nutrients.  The basis of an exclusion diet is a protein and a carb that the dog has never had before.... most vets will try and sell you Hill ZD but you can do a homecooked exclusion diet pretty easily. :)

Re the cough, now you've got me wondering if he could have mega oesophagus..  :unsure:

good luck at the vets Ruffy.

Offline Emily

• Site Member
  • Crystal <3
    • http://www.molkara-cockerspaniels.piczo.com
Worried About Ruffy
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 07:21:25 PM »
awwwww, :(  i hope all goes well at the vets :) fingers crossed :)

Offline Babylonian

• Site Member
    • http://
Worried About Ruffy
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 07:34:08 PM »
We're alarmed and sending Rufus our best wishes.  Please let us know what the vets says. :(
Jed's mummy, living in Milngavie.

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Worried About Ruffy
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 03:06:52 PM »
Let us know how you get on, poor Rufus. Hamish is also really prone to this sort of thing, at least every month or so. He is on naturediet with bran sometimes added, and when he gets the suits we do the starving/bland thing too and it usually goes.

The vet was saying the other day that three dogs who come to us always seem to get this too, and even though he doesn't really know why, a short course of antibiotics seems to clear it up.

Hopefully you'll get some answers soon. Hmish has actually put on weight, but he's on steroids so that's a factor.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)