Author Topic: Terrible Recall  (Read 6645 times)

Penel

Terrible Recall
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2006, 11:52:45 PM »
Then don't try it by letting him off lead.  Don't give him the freedom to fail - if he is on a long line, he cannot fail to return when you blow the whistle because you will pull him in if he doesn't respond immediately....  :)

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Terrible Recall
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2006, 11:55:23 PM »
OK!  So If I use the long line, how long can I wait before trying him off lead?  Just wait till he comes back say 95% of the time when on a long line?
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Terrible Recall
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2006, 11:59:18 PM »
 ;)
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Terrible Recall
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2006, 12:02:42 AM »
:lol:  :lol:  I will!!!

Offline dave w

• Site Member
Terrible Recall
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2006, 12:18:48 AM »
we have exactly the same problem with alfie now 8 months old, if i take him out and back the same route he picks up his sent and he's off tracing the route back and no amount of calling, screaming or waving arms will get him back, he seems to be much better if i take him somewere new, he was improving alot in the summer but now i only get to take him out once a week in the day light he has got worse again, hopefully when the nights get a bit lighter i'll get it sorted  :)

Offline PennyB

Terrible Recall
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2006, 12:38:42 AM »
OK!  So If I use the long line, how long can I wait before trying him off lead?  Just wait till he comes back say 95% of the time when on a long line?
[snapback]184635[/snapback]

I think it really depends on how you feel about it and only you will know when (as your dog will react differently in different places). I found with mine it was more to do with my own confidence about doing without it than what was actually happening.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Penel

Terrible Recall
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2006, 10:10:43 AM »
OK!  So If I use the long line, how long can I wait before trying him off lead?  Just wait till he comes back say 95% of the time when on a long line?
[snapback]184635[/snapback]

I would say 100% of the time before you should let him off the long line, but then that's just me....  :)  I am a fussy so and so with recall ! :lol:  and when you do let him off the line, try and do it in an enclosed area so that its safe for you both, that way you will be more relaxed.
Good luck today !

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Terrible Recall
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2006, 12:51:54 PM »
Thanks guys!  he will be here in a couple of hours so I will let you know how it goes, keep your fingers crossed! :)

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Terrible Recall
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2006, 12:56:35 PM »
 ;)
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Terrible Recall
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2006, 01:29:53 PM »
Good luck Miche.

Im sure you will be much more confident about everything afterwards and if hes like mine he will send notes on the session to refer back to and be at the end of the phone for you for a few weeks to check back in with
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Terrible Recall
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2006, 04:30:12 PM »
Right :huh:

Tell me what you think as I am not sure!!

Bailey is not allowed any toys in the house except one teddy that he like to cuddle :rolleyes:   not even when I go to work and leave him!  He is only allowed bones to chew.

Then when we go walking he has to be on a short lead at all times unless he is playing with the toy I take out.  As soon as he stops playing with the toy - ie fetching it and starts running of to chase birds I have to call him in, and use the long line to bring him in a put him on a short lead.  No playing with me no freedom!  Apparently this will only work if I don't play with him with the toys inside the house.  As the trainer said we have to change him obsession from chasing the birds to playing with me and the toy!!

I have to use the lead differently a quick sharp tug instead of a slow drag!!

Then the really horrible thing, I am not allowed to give him cuddles unless I have called him to me!

So what do you think??

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Terrible Recall
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2006, 04:47:46 PM »
Mich

I've been reading this with great interest: Paddy is 14 weeks old today and I've posted about his "guarding" behaviours which also tie in to a shaky recall.  I've only just started walking him, so he hasn't got the confidence yet to play up.  Out of interest, because I'm a new dog owner with no experience, how did you find the behaviourist/trainer?  Is he/she an APDT accredited trainer or equivalent?

The logic seems sound, but like you, I thought "wowee, a bit bloody harsh" when I read your summary of the advice - but I know nothing, so don't give any weight to that!

Out of interest, did the trainer recommend any games to play when out?  As I'm a novice, so far I've just been walking on the lead, and a couple of trips to the park where I have (I confess!!!! :unsure: ) been letting him off lead to have a poddle around and run up and down getting him to chase me.  I'm not sure what I should be doing so any advice your trainer gave would be really helpful to learn.

Thanks

Denise

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Terrible Recall
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2006, 05:13:32 PM »
though it was a bit harsh too, but I what I am doing with Bailey is not working at the moment so I guess I should trys something new.

He was talking about fetch or SEEK in gundog terms, anyking of you throwing and the dog fetching I think :blink: .

So I am going to buy a long line and a chuckit!!

Will let you know how I get on!!

He was recommended to me by a couple of people, I think he is a bit old school, but I will apply some techniques and see how I get on :blink:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Terrible Recall
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2006, 05:44:03 PM »
Then the really horrible thing, I am not allowed to give him cuddles unless I have called him to me!

So what do you think??
[snapback]184853[/snapback]
I can't comment on all the different techniques you have described as I have nothing to compare it to; but the technique quoted above is the same as NILIF; a dog doesn't get attention until he "earns it" - you can call him to you 100 times a day if you want to for a cuddle  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Terrible Recall
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2006, 05:47:32 PM »
I already practise NILIF, I thought that the trainer made this sound a little different!  I actually have to send Bailey away and wait for a while till he settles and then call him to me!!

I will get better at it but it is REALLY HARD not to stroke him when he comes up to me :rolleyes: