Author Topic: BARF sort of again  (Read 11115 times)

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
Re: BARF sort of again
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 11:47:27 PM »
Thanks for all the info Claire.  I'm going to look into it and I'll order a book or two you recommended.

Funny you should mention problem with anal glands as Barney has had to have his emptied twice already. You also mentioned skin conditions being help and Sapphi (lab) had terribly dry skin no matter what we give her. So I think its well worth investigating.  ;)

BTW Barney looks a lot like Ruby from your avatar - adorable.  Do you have a close up shot?

This is a few weeks old.  I'll hopefully be posting some of the ones the photographer took later this week.  ;)

Ruby is gorgeous and you're right Barney and Ruby do look similar, we do love our cockers.  :luv:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 01:43:45 PM »
Barney looks sooo lovely  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Claire - you mention kidney/heart /liver - is it any particular kind (e.g. calves' liver, pig heart etc) or doesn't it matter nutritionally?

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2006, 02:08:47 PM »

And lastly we've noticed Max seems to have lost a bit of weight.

And my last question, with three dogs will BARF cost me more than I already spend on their food?

Hi Sam - Bella's very prone to the weight gain thing as well but with the raw diet she seems to have stabilised. I think it helps that you can really adjust it to the dog - they say to feed them between 2-3% of their bodyweight per day, and then obviously adjust depending on how active your dog is, whether they're neutered etc etc. Bella is on 2% but I work on her weekly ration (so 2% of her weight x 7) and then as long as at the end of the week it all adds up, it's fine. I did this cos she gets breast of lamb twice a week and I have to give her slightly bigger portions to make her crunch it all up properly, so she then gets smaller portions elsewhere to balance that out. I do weigh her meals out fairly carefully although last time I did some of it by eye as I'm getting used to what 150g of breast of lamb looks like!  :lol:

In terms of cost, she's 9.4kg and it costs me around £14 per month - she gets through 1 large chicken, 2 whole breasts of lamb (£3 each), about 1lb of beef mince, some kidney/liver, 1 block of frozen tripe and a few eggs. I buy it all from the local butcher - could probably get it cheaper some places but we use him to buy meat for us as well and I like knowing where the food comes from.

It felt really difficult the first 2-3 months, I'd done lots of reading but did lots of worrying and adjusting before I eventually felt happy that she was getting everything she needed. I think the biggest bonus for me has been that this year, despite all this hot weather and her being in and out of rivers etc, Bella hasn't had a single ear or eye infection whereas last year she just had too many to even remember, as testified by all the half used bottles of drops and cleaners in the cupboard. That in itself has made it worth while for me, she's gone from a sickly dog to one brimming with health.  ;)
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2006, 02:27:38 PM »
i now feed 90% raw food.it took me a while to build up my confidence and to convince paddy to eat it but this past couple of days he has wolfed it down :D it's lovely to see him interested in food.
ellie is 4 months and is thriving on it.she is a foodie :005:
there is always a small bowl of jwb down for them.thats just me though.i hate to think they are peckish and can't tell me ::) one of my cats tends to eat the jwb.paddy and ellie pinch a little bit now and then to crunch on.
strangely the cat loves the jwb and both dogs would kill for one of her cat biscuits :lol:
oh and we get the white poos as well.
both my dogs now have lovely shiny coats and are very happy with the new menu ;)
i have just accidently discovered that they both adore dried apricots,does anyone know if they are ok to feed to dogs?

Offline Claire

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2006, 03:08:54 PM »
there is always a small bowl of jwb down for them.thats just me though.i hate to think they are peckish and can't tell me ::)
:lol: There'd be no chance of that in this household!  Ruby will look at the fridge sometimes and make an 'Mmmmmmm' noise without opening her mouth, that sounds a lot like a cow mooing.  She's on 2 meals a day, and she normally 'moos' in the middle of the day.  Translated this means, Mum please can I have a raw carrot? :lol:  Or more likely, Mum give me a raw carrot right now!

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 03:16:28 PM »
there is always a small bowl of jwb down for them.thats just me though.i hate to think they are peckish and can't tell me ::)
:lol: There'd be no chance of that in this household!  Ruby will look at the fridge sometimes and make an 'Mmmmmmm' noise without opening her mouth, that sounds a lot like a cow mooing.  She's on 2 meals a day, and she normally 'moos' in the middle of the day.  Translated this means, Mum please can I have a raw carrot? :lol:  Or more likely, Mum give me a raw carrot right now!

Oooh -please tape it so we can hear her! Can't imagine a dog mooing  :005:
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline Julie2

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2006, 03:44:39 PM »
Bertie has had a diet of raw meaty bones for the past 5 months. My butcher saves them for me and are free. Plus tinned fish which I give at least twice a week.
I give Bertie a meal of fish or minced meat usually turkey, lamb in the mornings and I also include Kelp powder and  occasionally egg and egg shell and  cider vinegar which I understand has many benifits. His evening meal is always a raw meaty bone.
We have noticed a real change in him especially in his skin condition and he really enjoys his meals.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 11:13:45 AM »

Oh Sam, he is GORGEOUS!  :luv: :luv:

I want to squidge him now!!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 01:36:28 PM »

Oooh -please tape it so we can hear her! Can't imagine a dog mooing  :005:
[/quote]

Paddy "trills" like a bird when he's really excited......very funny.

On the kidney/liver/heart issue - I asked if it made any difference what animal these come from - any better than others?  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Denise

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 02:31:58 PM »
Oh Sam, he is GORGEOUS!  :luv: :luv:

I want to squidge him now!!

Thanks Nicola.  :D  I think he gorgeous too,  :luv: , but I would, wouldn't I!!  :005:  He's such a cuddle monster that I sure he'd love you to squidge him!  :lol:  I'll pass it on.  :005:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Claire

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2006, 10:31:22 PM »
On the kidney/liver/heart issue - I asked if it made any difference what animal these come from - any better than others?  Any ideas?
Denise
Um, I just buy what my local supermarket has which is mostly lamb I think.  TBH I can't say I've paid much attention ph34r oops.  She only has it once a week anyway.  It's all frozen up now into portions, next time I buy some I'll look.  The hearts were definitely lamb, I'm sure the liver was lamb, kidney was possibly pig.  I don't feed her pork in any other form as not all books recommend it, but plenty of people do.

CraftySam - just seen Barney's picture (my work PC blanks a lot of the pictures out, spoil sports) and he is SO lovely.  Ruby's a bit more red (as her name suggests) but they both have that thing where it looks like they've got eyeliner on under the eye.  Aahhh their little faces make the heart melt. :luv: :luv: :luv:
Ruby sends Barney a kiss, by the way.

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2006, 05:16:12 AM »
BTW Barney looks a lot like Ruby from your avatar - adorable.  Do you have a close up shot?

Okay, here's a Barney/Ruby look-a-like picture of my boy Bailey when he was a puppy  ;)

...who BTW is fed on organic commercial BARF made into patties.  It's a bit more expensive, but pretty easy for a lazybones like me and he loves it  :D

Bailey and Mom

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2006, 02:20:04 PM »

Okay, here's a Barney/Ruby look-a-like picture of my boy Bailey when he was a puppy  ;)

...who BTW is fed on organic commercial BARF made into patties.  It's a bit more expensive, but pretty easy for a lazybones like me and he loves it  :D

They do really look a like don't they!  :005:

Tell me more about the BARF patties please!

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006, 12:02:29 AM »
Yeah, they are both cute with those chubby cheeks you want to pinch!  :luv:
In regards to the BARF patties, I'm from Canada so I'm not sure if you guys have exactly the same type of thing in the UK, but I'm sure there's something similar.  Anyways, where I get them from has a pretty informative website about BARF in general it's... http://www.healthy-paws.ca/
Bailey and Mom

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006, 09:57:01 AM »
Billinghurst's book has BARF pattie recipes in it. I tried them at the start (not to eat, you understand  ;) :lol:) until I started to get more confident. I think the idea behind them is that you're giving the dog a complete meal - the patties contain meat, bone, egg, cottage cheese or yoghut, pulped fruit and veg, things like flax seeds, salmon oil, fresh herbs, garlic, offal etc etc.

I guess I still do a vague version of them with Bella's chicken as I divide it into portions for the month and then whizz up some veg, a couple of eggs, garlic and fresh herbs and mix in some bran (for her anal glands) and add that to the chicken.

Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk