Author Topic: SOPHIE GROWLING AT NEW PUPPY AND MY CHILDREN - HELP  (Read 6147 times)

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
Re: SOPHIE GROWLING AT NEW PUPPY AND MY CHILDREN - HELP
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2007, 01:01:07 PM »
Well, after a long discussion with the behaviourist......

She belives that Sophie is a real risk to my toddler. She thinks it likely that Sophie had behavioural problems with the baby grandson of the former owners and that they failed to disclose this to me. They told me that they were selling her due to the grandson being allergic to Sophie, but in view of her anxiety around babies the former is most probable. I emphasized to the seller that I had children and that it was extremely important!!! And she guaranteed me that Sophie LOVED children  >:D NOT TRUE

My son is a very gentle toddler - he was 11 weeks premature - so quite small and always very gentle and quiet. He has ALWAYS been very gentle with Sophie. I have read many books on dog behaviour etc, eg - how hugging is perceived by dogs etc - and so can judge fairly well how he has behaved with herfrom her point of view.

The behaviourist advised - The only way to prevent the situation from esculating would be to (1) Always have Sophie on a lead next to me when in the house, or (2) Never let Sophie in to the house, or (3) To rehome her to a suitable child free environment for her own safety and happiness  

We didn't even get on to the puppy issue - she was just too worried about my toddler and Sophie.

I would never forgive myself if Sophie bit my son - for either of their sakes.

:-\

Im really sorry to hear about what the behaviourist had to say about Sophie and how awful that it seems her previous owners lied to you about their situation.

Do you know what you are going to do yet??? I would probably be inclined to get a second opinion before I chose the rehoming option just to be 100% confident that there is nothing that can be done to help her.

I really feel for you - it must be an awful predicament to be in.

Cx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2007, 01:15:15 PM »
Claire

How long was the behaviourist with you and how much time did she spend with Sophie?  Did she see Sophie "in action" with your toddler and with the new puppy? 

Sorry to sound so intrusive - I know that your children's safety must absolutely come first, but I was a little surprised that the behaviourist was so convinced that there was a problem with the previous owners' grandson - and that they'd lie so blatantly if they were getting rid of Sophie because of safety concerns for a child - simply to unload her into a house with 2 children 100% of the time (rather than occasional grand-kid visits). 

I'm also surprised by the draconian suggestions - never let Sophie into the house????  I really can't believe that anyone would suggest that - and I'm surprised by the lack of suggestions for coping strategies for you to use while you decide on next steps - frankly, I don't think "put your dog on a lead and keep her with you" is a solution or a coping strategy - what if you want to cuddle your children - Sophie's only a few feet away??

I'm not saying that, ultimately, for your children's safety and for your own peace of mind, you might choose, rightly and responsibly to rehome Sophie to an experienced cocker owning, adult-only home.  But there's something about what the behaviourist said that just seems extreme and clearcut in a hasty way - perhaps a bit old-school??

My apologies if I've got this out of context but it worries me that she couldn't come up with something better, even as interim steps while you consider your options.  I'd definitely get a second opinion.  Where are you based?  Can anyone recommend a behaviourist for Claire??

It sounds

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2007, 01:24:42 PM »
I may be wrong, but it sounds to me as if the behaviourist gave advice without actually having seen Sophie.  :-\
I agree with DennyK. We have problems with one of our dogs when visitors come to the house. We were given advice on how to help the dog cope with his anxieties rather than simply be told to shut him outside.  >:(
I don't think the person you spoke to was very helpful at all to be honest and would definitely seek a second opinion.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2007, 03:05:18 PM »
Have PMd you
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2007, 09:57:11 AM »
Where did you get Sophie from ?  Was it from an animal rescue place. 

Mark (Top Barks) may be able to give you some help/advice. 

Dont mean to sound rude but I was not keen on the "advice" given by the behaviourist.   How does she know the info about the Grandson, if you didnt ?  Am getting a bit confused.  :huh:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2007, 10:04:18 AM »
I was a little surprised that the behaviourist was so convinced that there was a problem with the previous owners' grandson - and that they'd lie so blatantly if they were getting rid of Sophie because of safety concerns for a child - simply to unload her into a house with 2 children 100% of the time (rather than occasional grand-kid visits). 

Just thinking out loud, but is it possible that the behaviourist saw Sophie her in her last home ?? Client confidentiality would prevent her from saying so, but may explain why she has given what otherwise sounds like rather draconian advice without a proper assessment over a period of time ?  :huh:

Sadly, people will tell all sorts of untruths just to "get rid" of a dog, regardless of the risk they may put other people in  >:(
IMO, private rescue is best left to the experts (although I *think* Sophie was sold, rather than in a rescue situation), and particularly when children are involved, a rescue that provides assessment, fostering and back-up is definitely a more secure way to go  :-\

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2007, 10:46:44 AM »
Rachel - I was thinking along the same lines   :o :o  Otherwise how would she know

Offline RainbowClaire

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2007, 10:55:45 PM »
Hi all-

The behaviorist hasn't seen Sophie..she made that diagnosis over the phone, so I think it is very unlikely that she knows Sophie from before. I did ask her if I could make an appointment to see her but she is a very busy lady and couldn't fit me in.

Thinking about it now - her advice wasn't really based on anything other than jumping to conclusions. She was also very critical of 'golden cockers'. When I began the conversation with, " I have a cocker spaniel and we are having a little trouble with her", she instantly asked if she was red and informed me that she has had no end of trouble with the reds. The blue roans are like a different breed apparently and that the reds nearly always had temperament issues and went on to tell me about rage syndrome in the reds, (Although she does knows of two reds who are lovely).  >:(

I am going to ask my local lady for advice now - she seems far more up to date even though she may not have the qualifications. It's got to be worth a go  :-\
Shophie and Bonnie's family :)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2007, 10:58:13 PM »
She was also very critical of 'golden cockers'. .... and went on to tell me about rage syndrome in the reds, (Although she does knows of two reds who are lovely).  >:(

I'd steer well clear of this lady IMO  ;)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2007, 01:53:04 AM »
Hi all-

The behaviorist hasn't seen Sophie..she made that diagnosis over the phone, so I think it is very unlikely that she knows Sophie from before. I did ask her if I could make an appointment to see her but she is a very busy lady and couldn't fit me in.

Thinking about it now - her advice wasn't really based on anything other than jumping to conclusions. She was also very critical of 'golden cockers'. When I began the conversation with, " I have a cocker spaniel and we are having a little trouble with her", she instantly asked if she was red and informed me that she has had no end of trouble with the reds. The blue roans are like a different breed apparently and that the reds nearly always had temperament issues and went on to tell me about rage syndrome in the reds, (Although she does knows of two reds who are lovely).  >:(

I am going to ask my local lady for advice now - she seems far more up to date even though she may not have the qualifications. It's got to be worth a go  :-\

I don't think any qualified, reputable behaviourist would make such statements about a dog over the phone, without having seen the dog, or make such sweeping ridiculous statements about red cockers in general, and to even bring up rage at all, when nothing in your posts even vaguely suggest it!... :o >:D

Please find a GOOD, QUALIFIED, REPUTABLE behaviourist, who will actually spend time observing you and Sophie (one who does home visits would be best, so she/he can see how Sophie interacts with everyone in the house, dog and human) and gives you some training options.

It may be more expensive, but it will definately be money well spent.
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2007, 06:40:32 AM »

I don't think any qualified, reputable behaviourist would make such statements about a dog over the phone, without having seen the dog, or make such sweeping ridiculous statements about red cockers in general, and to even bring up rage at all, when nothing in your posts even vaguely suggest it!... :o >:D

Please find a GOOD, QUALIFIED, REPUTABLE behaviourist, who will actually spend time observing you and Sophie (one who does home visits would be best, so she/he can see how Sophie interacts with everyone in the house, dog and human) and gives you some training options.

It may be more expensive, but it will definately be money well spent.

Sadly, even some experienced, reputable, qualified behaviourists (not to mention vets, and even some cocker breeders) have this opinion of solid reds - Rage is a convenient label which would not be used for the same behaviour in a different breed :(

Claire - please would you consider telling the APDT about your experience of this trainer (you got her number off their site, I think?) It is at the very least unprofessional to provide this kind of advice without even seeing Sophie, and I am sure they would want to know  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2007, 10:30:17 AM »
 :o :o :o ::) ::) ::)

How can somebody make a  "diagnosis" like this without seeing the dog in question. 

In my opinion this woman should be ashamed of herself & reported.   I am so  >:D >:D >:D

Sorry to sound harsh Rainbow Claire - but please try and take the advice that others have offered and get somebody to ASSESS the dog properly, before any decisions are made.   If you were ill, would you accept a telephone diagnosis, I think not.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2007, 10:39:47 AM »
Sadly, even some experienced, reputable, qualified behaviourists (not to mention vets, and even some cocker breeders) have this opinion of solid reds - Rage is a convenient label which would not be used for the same behaviour in a different breed :(

I couldn't agree more with this
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline RainbowClaire

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2007, 07:18:18 PM »
Yes I agree!

Definitely not going to act on her advice!!

Yes IWLass, I got her number off the website that was recommended and perhaps I should report her as she really wasn't helpfull at all!

Getting someone good who can help is the hard bit. I don't mind how much it costs -We love Sophie so much - she deserves me to do my very best for her.

Must admit - as soon as she started talking about the reds and 'rage' I lost all faith in her there and then.

Thanks for all the support everyone - I will keep you posted  x

Shophie and Bonnie's family :)

Offline PennyB

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2007, 08:33:51 PM »
Getting someone good who can help is the hard bit.

I agree especially when you think there are no APDT trainers at all in South Wales and in other parts of West and mid wales they're thin on the ground so not a lot to choose from really.

Does your vet have any ideas as to someone who could help
Friends of Hailey Park