Author Topic: Behavior after castration - advice required  (Read 3627 times)

Offline ralphy

• Site Member
Behavior after castration - advice required
« on: August 31, 2003, 07:05:10 PM »
I would be very interested in hearing of others experience of any change in behaviour of their cocker after castration.  I have heard conflicting opinions on this subject - but from people who had not had 'first hand' experience.
Thanks in advance for your responses!                    
"The more I learn of humans, the better I like my dog".

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2003, 07:54:04 PM »
Two of my boys have been castrated. We were advised to get Brook castrated when he was 18 months old due to his aggression - it didnt help and he got fat ::) Vegas was routinely castrated end of last year and he turned into a right mummy's boy ::) Couldnt really get more opposite ends of the scale if I tried ;) I actually regret having Vegas done - he gets accosted by male dogs on a daily basis and he still pees like a girl ie just once on a walk :'(                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 01:28:56 PM »
My boy was fixed at 6 months of age. It's a bit difficult to really remember a specific change in behaviour, possibly became a bit more of a Mummy's boy, but he was one anyway. His coat certainly got a lot bushier and he has put on weight and slowed down a bit, but nothing remarkable in the way of behaviour changes :)                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 06:15:35 PM »
Ralphy - presumably you ask because yu are considering it. It would help if you could tell us why you were considering it. If it's just routine and coz the vet says so - then think long and hard - it's irreversable :-X If it's for behavioural difficuloties, then tell us what they are - training may be the answer. If there's some other reason - lets see if there's another way ;D

My boys are intact. I tried the chemical temporary castration on my boy to see if it would help with his hyperness and general lack of confidence and anxiety. The vet just said - oh we'll snip him then - I'm so glad we didn't as it made no difference to him at all.

The most common change in most dogs and especially cockers are to the coat. It will be virtually impossible to handstrip needing clipping every 8 weeks or so and go wooly and curly, although the curly look can be avoided if trimmed properly. It often makes them look old before their time and has a tendency to make their weight increase. Some become lethargic and as has already been said, overly soppy.

On the other hand, I know of a 3 year old golden boy near me and his brother. They've both been done and you wouldn't tell they were the same age at all. One looks about 10 and the other looks like a three year old and has kept a nice sleek coat. The other is like a sheep. The sleek coat is very unusual indeed - the sheep look is mored the norm unless you fimd someone who can trim a neutered coat well ;D.

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline ralphy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 08:01:49 PM »
Pammy (& the others),
Thanks for your reply(s).
The reason we were considering it is:  we have a 2 year old boy and are getting a puppy bitch.  As we were looking at the logistics of this we wanted to consider the problems of the bitch's 1st season (we have no intention of breeding from her).  In addition, whilst Joe has shown no aggression/tendancys to wander ;) etc we are aware this may develop at a later age...............
However, our thoughts now are that we will 'manage' the situation by separation at the time and only 'deal' with Joe if any of the other tendancys occur.  It would certainly be a last resort as I believe that just about all behavioural difficultuies can be overcome by training. Also, I do have a natural aversion to this course of action ;D
Thanks again!                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2003, 07:13:55 AM »
I see now ;D sorry - didn't make the link to your other thread.

What did you do when you had Blue, was she spayed? If so then you will have experience of how neutering affects the cat and possibly the weight.

I see you have found a puppy, but have you thought about getting another boy? Then you won't have to worry about any of this for either of them and your boy is of an age where dominance is unlikely to be an issue for them.  :)                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline ralphy

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2003, 10:02:24 AM »
Pammy,

Yeps Blue was spayed; a slight increase in weight but otherwise no other changes.

The choice of a bitch puppy was a close one; prior to Blue we had a black cocker, Holly.  She was with us for 14 wonderful years and was the star attraction wherever she went; bags of personality & a real character.  So I guess we are slightly biased to the girls!

We cannot wait for our new arrival; should be with us in the 2nd week October.  5 weeks to go & we are already (once again) making the house 'puppy proof'; Joe is perplexed as to why his old 'puppy den' has been brought out of the garage ???                    

Offline wendibowz

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2003, 07:13:13 PM »
Hi!
I rescued a Blue Roan Dog (called Sooty) at 10 months old - He had been rather neglected and I took the decision to have him castrated because I have 4 kids and didn't want to risk any aggression!  :- and as I hadnt had a cocker before thought it was the right thing to do!
On reflection - Sooty's coat is ruined, hes getting fat! and quite honestly still has nervous/aggressive behaviour at times so I wish I hadnt bothered! :(

He is still absolutely gorgeous and I have him groomed proffessionaly and he looks great then!                    

Offline Debbie L

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2003, 01:37:39 PM »
My first cocker Finley was a very dominant dog and the play biting often went too far.  We had him castrated at 7 months and never looked back!  His agressive streak only came out when he was being trimmed (poor Tracey).  Whilst his coat wasn't perfectly flat afterwards the wooliness wasn't too bad and he still looked very handsome.  The only intriguing side effect was that he never cocked his leg.                    

Offline tracey

• Site Member
    • http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2003, 09:37:47 PM »
Just a softie really Debbie and a pleasure to know :)
And yes He was very handsome :-*
Traceyx                    
http://www.quintaviacockerspaniels.co.uk

Love All
Trust A Few
Do Wrong To None
William Shakespeare