Author Topic: does this sound right?  (Read 1802 times)

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
does this sound right?
« on: July 30, 2007, 09:01:17 AM »
i've changed sammys food from hills dry to hi-life tinned puppy food. he's seemed much better on this food for about the last two weeks. he's noe producing quite loose poos.

for the last few days i've been giving him 50g of hills in the morning and half a tin of hi life in the afternoon. (after discussing with the vet i've cut him down to two meals).

my main question is, is this amount of food right? he also has 2/3 small bonios a day.

thanks

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Re: does this sound right?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 03:18:50 PM »
How old is Sammy and how much does he weigh now?  Mixing wet and dry is a bad idea and Hi Life is a pretty poor food to be honest.  If you prefer to feed wet food, I'd go for nature diet or nature's menu.  Need to get it from Pets at Home or local pet food shop - good quality ingredients, no artifical nasties.  (sorry if the post sounds bossy though!!)

Denise

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 03:28:06 PM »
sammy is 19 weeks old and weighs 6.4kg. i choose hi life because it's ingredients looked ok. chicken 60%,rice,whole egg, minerals,fructose and brewers dried yeast.  no artifical colours or perservatives! to be honest though i'll take any advice :005:
why is mixing dry and wet a bad idea?

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
They are digested at different rates and use up varying amounts of water in the body.  A lot of people do mix them with no ill effects though.  (Which is a very (un) helpful thing to add.   ph34r ph34r).

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 08:05:26 AM »
i'm sooooo confused about this all. i never thought i'd be obssessed with what my dog eats :005:
he seems to be going ok on it at the moment. i think i'll have to leave it a while before changing him again!!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 09:17:38 AM »
If your dog is happy with what you're feeding him, then that's fine - don't feel you have to change his diet if you don't want to. As you can see from this board, there are loads of different opinions on feeding dogs but they are just opinions - there is no one perfect diet which suits every dog ;) I am constantly reading on here that you shouldn't feed dry with wet food but again, this is not a rule set down in stone that everybody must follow - I have been feeding wet with dry food for nearly 20 years and none of my dogs have any digestive problems whatsoever :D
Jane

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 01:17:49 PM »
that's reassuring-thankyou :D.