Author Topic: Low Fat Treats please  (Read 2278 times)

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
Low Fat Treats please
« on: February 05, 2008, 04:58:38 PM »
Now I know the best thing to do would be to give no treats at all but we do so instead I need ideas what to give Sally.

We had her at the Vets in November and she was 15.5k. That means she had gained 1.5k since being spayed so we cut back her food and tried to shift the weight off her.

Just had her weighed today 16.2k  ph34r This dogs diet appears to work as well as mine do  ::).

I can't bear to cut her food back more as she gets very little already but I think she may be swiping Glens so will be keeping a close eye on that. However after they have had a walk if they are good they get a treat so I am going to substitute these. I know I can give her carrots but what else can I give her?

Thanks folks.  :D
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline LucyJ

• Site Member
Re: Low Fat Treats please
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 05:08:55 PM »
I use celery and bits of chopped up apple too sometimes.

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 05:11:35 PM »
I use celery and bits of chopped up apple too sometimes.

Oooh apple. Good idea. Don't have celery in this house....we class it as the devils food  ph34r  :lol:

Offline LucyJ

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 05:15:16 PM »
I know what you mean about celery - I was thinking as I typed it that only a cocker could think of celery as being a treat  :005:  ::)

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 05:17:51 PM »
Its a food I really want to like but just can't persuade my tastebuds its anything other than completely vile  ::)

However Im sure if it had about a gazzilion calories in it they'd like it just fine  :005:

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 05:26:11 PM »
You might have to cut her food back a bit more as well as doing low-fat treats. Poor Bella (a pint-size at 10kg but she was 12kg at one point) is on a raw diet but she only gets 140g of food a day, it really is practically nothing and I feel sorry for her but if she has more than that, she puts weight on. She gets a small chicken wing in the morning and literally 40g of mince (about a dessertspoonful) in the evening, and then low-fat treats.  :-\  And lots of running around as well but she just has a really slow metabolism, bless her...

We give things like cherry tomatoes, ends of carrots, apple etc and those dried fish skin cubes as they don't seem to be fattening for her (and they're good as a bigger treat).

For high value treats on walks/training she gets low-fat chicken frankfurters (the Herta ones) cut into teeny slices.

The night she has her agility class (tonight) she doesn't get any dinner as she gets lots of frankfurter.

My vet always says that if you cut their food by 15% they aren't really going to notice it, I think it's more us that feel the pang of guilt... :shades:

Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 06:52:46 PM »
Tilly would also tend towards the 'good doer' end of the spectrum so I give her bits of apple, pear and banana as treats, she absolutley loves them. If I'm eating an apple she'll sit in front of me drooling until I give her a piece. She does get a couple of gravy bones every day as well and half a bonio at bedtime but any more than that and she would easily start to look a bit broad across the beam even though she gets so much exercise.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 09:56:17 PM »
Carrots are great and if i can find then in the supermarket or the farm shop you can get really small ones and Roxy has one of those everynow and then like a chewy.

I also grate up a little bit of carrot and mix it with a couple of table spoons of natural yogurt to stuff in her kong which i freeze. Keeps her going for a while.
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 10:45:28 PM »
Cucumber  :D  and cauliflower and do you have shredded wheat over there? My dog loves it, especially the cucumber. Boiled chicken breast in tiny pieces for high value treats. Do you feed dry food? If you do, then you can measure the food in the morning and use some of it for treats. Vegetables are great treats, but be careful with fruit as it is full of sugar  ;)

Offline Gini

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 06:46:37 AM »
I bought some very pretty JWB bone shaped rice cakes last christmas. They were a bit pricey, I assume that no salt (human) rice cakes would be fine. My two seemed to find the texture quite good fun but did look funny showering bits of rice cakes out of the side of their chops  :005:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 07:08:50 AM »
Now I know the best thing to do would be to give no treats at all but we do so instead I need ideas what to give Sally.

We had her at the Vets in November and she was 15.5k. That means she had gained 1.5k since being spayed so we cut back her food and tried to shift the weight off her.

Just had her weighed today 16.2k  ph34r This dogs diet appears to work as well as mine do  ::).

I can't bear to cut her food back more as she gets very little already but I think she may be swiping Glens so will be keeping a close eye on that. However after they have had a walk if they are good they get a treat so I am going to substitute these. I know I can give her carrots but what else can I give her?

Thanks folks.  :D

How about getting a treat ball and putting some of their food in them as a treat (I take a handful of their meal and put in the treat ball for later in the day - this way they aren't actually getting extra  :D )

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 01:18:37 PM »
our charlie has pancreatitis and is controlled by a low fat diet.  i am paranoid at looking at treats in the supermarket and always read the labels for fat content.  i do give him carrot, potato and raw turnip I end up wth 2 dogs one on each foot when I am preparing veggies for us, hoping I will drop a piece.  I make him garlic biscuits with sunflower seeds and also buy fat free cream cheese or fat free yogurt and add in a tim of pilchards which dont have much fat and some breacrumbs blitze it all tongether anf fill up their kongs with it.   An occassional bonio as well as they are biscuit and the vet OK'd them.  I feed him burms which is low fat low protein.  I got the recipe for the garlic biscuites from Willow's Kitchen which has a few recipes. 
Cathy
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline gibson

• Site Member
    • www.pictureson.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 09:30:42 PM »
our charlie has pancreatitis and is controlled by a low fat diet.  i am paranoid at looking at treats in the supermarket and always read the labels for fat content.  i do give him carrot, potato and raw turnip I end up wth 2 dogs one on each foot when I am preparing veggies for us, hoping I will drop a piece.  I make him garlic biscuits with sunflower seeds and also buy fat free cream cheese or fat free yogurt and add in a tim of pilchards which dont have much fat and some breacrumbs blitze it all tongether anf fill up their kongs with it.   An occassional bonio as well as they are biscuit and the vet OK'd them.  I feed him burms which is low fat low protein.  I got the recipe for the garlic biscuites from Willow's Kitchen which has a few recipes. 
Cathy
I'll try that filling for Gibson's kong, he loves trying to get things out of it :005:, get a bit stuck as to what to fill it with?  He doesn't have too many treats, he weighs near 16kgs, he is big for a cocker :005:, i don't thinks he is fat and our trainer says he isn't stocky :D
What is the best weight or does it depend on the size of them? :-\
Love Sarah and Gibson

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 10:42:09 PM »
Jenny also put on a kilo when she was spayed and still eating the same food .She is  on purina vets   low maintenace diet and has ekunuba veterinery diet rescripted calorie biscuits  2 per day. They are abut 1and half inch long but she chews every piece She is good really as my sons lois
has a schmaco at the same time but she just eatd her biscuit.She alsdo like stinned tomatos and a little toast. How fattening is that?
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 03:05:21 PM »
my Charlie was 16kg at his last wieghing Sept last year when he had his booster.  Vet was happy with his weight as he had good definition and she could see his waist and feel his ribs.  We are very strick with his diet as he cannot afford to be overweight after being paralyzed in his back legs so tend not to feed treats much and keep him to Burns food, but then he has lost a bit since then after changing over to Burns.   
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition