Author Topic: 50/50 offal & tripe  (Read 2078 times)

Offline marbledmolly

• Site Member
  • Remy & Jade
50/50 offal & tripe
« on: June 18, 2008, 04:29:08 PM »
I've done a bit of a bo bo  ph34r

I've order some meet for my freezer from a local butcher that delivers bulk. On the price list it had 50/50 offal & tripe on special offer  ;).  We eat liver and kidneys all the time & i have eaten tripe but not for years - so i was curious and ordered some. Now only when it's arrived i've found out it's for 'pet only' . I'm not only anoyed that it wasn't mentioned as pet only on their price list as the 'pet mince' was. But now i've got 10lb of the stuff in me freezer and don't know what to do with it.  Might be a bit of a silly question  ph34r Do i need to cook it before i feed it to the dogs.

Offline SimonandMandy

Re: 50/50 offal & tripe
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 04:38:12 PM »
Your dog is gonna love you, all their favourite foods...

Others will be along with better information but on Barf recommendation is that offal should only be fed about once a week, would definitely recommend raw particularly the tripe - plenty of info under Barf threads that you can search on.

With the liver you could dry bake for training treats or make livercake, link below to many doggie recipes (be warned for the smell in the kitchen though). 

http://www.itsaspringthing.co.uk/willows%20kitchen.htm

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 04:39:24 PM »
It's up to you, but it doesn't need to be cooked can easily be eaten raw. :005: hope they like it though since you've got so much.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 04:40:36 PM »
I feed raw and I give offal up to 3 times per week, same with raw eggs.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline marbledmolly

• Site Member
  • Remy & Jade
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 04:44:57 PM »
oh i should have said it's all minced together.

I have made liver bread before and they love it, We've even gained extra dogs around the park because we had pockets full of liver bread.

Offline screamingswifts

• Limited Member
  • Fargo the Scruff Butt
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 04:47:27 PM »
If it's raw 'green' tripe then cook it at your peril :005: It will stink the place out. feeding it raw is fine, mine get raw mince tripe every morning, with offal added some days. You may find that 50% offal in one meal produces fairly loose poos though, so just be aware :shades: ;)

If they don't like it, then post it on up to me :005:

Offline marbledmolly

• Site Member
  • Remy & Jade
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 04:52:27 PM »
If it's raw 'green' tripe then cook it at your peril :005: It will stink the place out. feeding it raw is fine, mine get raw mince tripe every morning, with offal added some days. You may find that 50% offal in one meal produces fairly loose poos though, so just be aware :shades: ;)

If they don't like it, then post it on up to me :005:

I think i've just found out the hard way  :huh: . Yes it is 'green tripe' and 'Yes i did start cooking' & 'Yes it stinks'. It was the stink that made me think that a bad idea and i shouldn't have acutally have done that.  And i should have posted on here to find out properly first ph34r

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 05:48:07 PM »
 :005:

raw is definitely better  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 09:35:27 PM »
can i just ask what offal is? It sounds horrid!

And marbledmolly - you eat tripe??? Oh my lord! What does it taste like? I used to work in yates and greers as a 'saturday girl', my stomach would turn when i had to stab it and bag it for a customer! Yuk!  :005: :005:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline marbledmolly

• Site Member
  • Remy & Jade
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 07:09:02 AM »

And marbledmolly - you eat tripe??? Oh my lord! What does it taste like? I used to work in yates and greers as a 'saturday girl', my stomach would turn when i had to stab it and bag it for a customer! Yuk!  :005: :005:

Offal is the collective term for liver, kidneys, heart etc etc.

I haven't eaten tripe for years now, but we did have it as kids. I can't really describe the taste, lets say is 'acquired'. It's one of those old fashion things now that you don't see in the butchers these days. Did i just say that - Omg I've just realised that has just put another 10 years on my age  :005:

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 10:32:53 AM »

Offal is the collective term for liver, kidneys, heart etc etc.

I haven't eaten tripe for years now, but we did have it as kids. I can't really describe the taste, lets say is 'acquired'. It's one of those old fashion things now that you don't see in the butchers these days. Did i just say that - Omg I've just realised that has just put another 10 years on my age  :005:

Awww im sorry, i didnt mean to age you!  :005: Our family dog used to have tripe on a saturday, and i just always presumed tripe was just for dogs food rather than humans!  ph34r  Thinking about it, it kinda sounds ridiculous!  ::)

REUBY DOOO!

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 11:45:43 AM »
Isn't suet just tripe (i.e. cattle's stomach lining) that's been washed and minced to a fine consistency?

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 11:53:11 AM »
Am seriously thinking of being vegetarian reading this thread! :005:
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline marbledmolly

• Site Member
  • Remy & Jade
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 01:59:52 PM »
Isn't suet just tripe (i.e. cattle's stomach lining) that's been washed and minced to a fine consistency?

Tripe is the stomach lining washed and cut up.

Suet is the raw beef fat, especially the hard fat found around the loins and kidneys.

If i though about it too much then i probably wouldn't eat it. But is was my 13 year old that wanted to try the tripe. Both of my kids already eat black pudding with no problems and they knows it's the blood.  That's one thing that i proud of with my kids that they eat virtually anything and a not afraid to try different things either. That goes with fruit and veg also. Who says kids won't eat healthy stuff !