Author Topic: Our Cocker is 18mths, is becoming more aggressive and has bitten...!! HELP...  (Read 5993 times)

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
Well done for getting help  :D 
Putting your kids and Barneys best interests first in resolving this difficult situation truly shows that you are a good dad and also a good dog owner  :-*
Barney clearly has some serious issues and unfortunately may not be suited to the 'busy' home that you have (do have a chat to an experienced behaviorist as they can work wonders  :angel: ) But by getting in touch with Cynthia you are ensuring that if Barney's future doesn't lie with you, then he will be found a home that recognizes his behavioral problems and will hopefully accommodate his needs and then teach him how to behave in an acceptable manner around humans.  :luv: 

Good luck.  :blink:

Best wishes,

Mary xxx

completely agree with what Mary has said

xx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline suzieq

• Site Member
, the coffee table aspect, he was sleeping, parents watching TV, did not move, but just spoke, he awoke and lunged at my fathers hand biting...

Agree with what others have said, sounds like a behavioural issue and definitely not rage.

Just out of interest, has your vet checked for low blood sugar as this is thought to cause out of character behaviour?
Its described well in Val Strongs booklet 'the Dogs Dinner' and could give an explanation or the coffee table incident.

She says "Low blood sugar levels could give an indication of the cause of some aggressive behaviour where no other cause as been identified. Lower blood sugar levels may be party responsible for some dogs rising from deep sleep in an aggressive state, as the brain will have insufficient energy to make rational decisions. Only the primitive areas of the brain, which control basic survival instincts (flight/fight) will then be active"

well done for getting and help and i really wish you and Barney the very best of luck

sue, zak and strider x
Your dog is a simpler version of you, only smaller, hairier and with a big wet tongue! (j.rose barber)

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
This lad is now with NESSR, the local Cocker rescues were asked to help but refused him.

He'll be fine with Cyn  ;)

Jim
Jim, Kate, Bails, Millie & Gypsy Working for
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
NESSR / NECSR Cocker Rehoming Co-ordinator

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Aw that's great news. Hope his problems can be sorted and he ends up in a great home. He couldn't be in a better place to help him. Well done to his owners for finding him a second chance place rather than taking the pts option. Fingers crossed for the lad.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline CJ

• Site Member
I feel so sad for the owners, but thank goodness they are responsible people, and have put children and dog firmly in a sensible light.  it must have been very difficult for them.

We all love our dogs but sometimes have to make a difficult choice.  Rehoming through the correct channel isn't a cop out, it's a responsible and sensible thing to do, and I'm sure the little chap will soon be lucky enough to be fitted in with someone who can deal with his special needs.

Offline Beth

• Site Member
I feel so sad for the owners, but thank goodness they are responsible people, and have put children and dog firmly in a sensible light.  it must have been very difficult for them.

We all love our dogs but sometimes have to make a difficult choice.  Rehoming through the correct channel isn't a cop out, it's a responsible and sensible thing to do, and I'm sure the little chap will soon be lucky enough to be fitted in with someone who can deal with his special needs.

Agree with all of this. I hope he does well with NESSR :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
This lad is now with NESSR, the local Cocker rescues were asked to help but refused him.

He'll be fine with Cyn  ;)

Jim

I'd be interested in what she thinks of the rage diagnosis ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline BabyB

doesn't sound like rage.

Your dog clearly has some food/toy guarding issues; this type of behavior can often develop in a household that has young children as they tend to 'snatch' the dogs possessions etc... and generally behave in an unpredictable manner, teaching the dog that it needs to protect its 'things' from these unwanted and often difficult to predict intrusions, which is generally expressed through growling, snapping, and eventually biting if the first warning signs are ignored.

Your dog will need careful re training and new clear and consistent boundaries. If you have the time to give this to your dog then get a good behavioralist in to help guide you. If not, then contact the breeder who you bought the dog from and ask them to either have the dog back or to help you rehome your cocker to a home that has no young children and where there will be an adult who can spend a sufficient amount of time with the dog to encourage a new behavioral regime.

Please don't put your dog to sleep  ph34r This is a young, healthy dog who has most likely learned this bad behavior because of its environment. If you can't cope with him then allow him to have the life he deserves in another home with someone who can cope.  :blink:

Mary xxx

PS: Sorry if my post is quite 'strong' but I thoroughly believe that putting a dog to sleep should be a last resort measure once every other avenue has been exhausted.

I don't think this message is strong at all - in fact I couldn't have put it better myself.

Please, please don't have Barney PTS because a vet has said so.  Please try other options.
Added - I'm glad he's sorted  :luv:
Mummy loves her angels - but they're not angels all the time - They love to chew and charge about - but mummy doesn't mind

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
So glad the owners found someone to help them - there are always tough decisions when things are not going right.

Best wishes to everyone concerned for a satisfactory outcome to a sad situation.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member

Agree with all of this. I hope he does well with NESSR :D

My thoughts exactly !!!  :D

Offline PennyB

I fostered a cocker who had similar problems to yours and yet managed to rehome her as well with these issues.

I managed to work out all her triggers and even though it often looked like there were no triggers I began t recognise the early warning signs and would then used to stand back and look around and often she would nervously cast an eye to the item which ranged from a ball wedged under the crate to my boots sitting 3 feet from her, to a small wrapper on the floor or may a dog lead --- one thing I did notice as well was that the more stressful the house was the more she guarded and if left to her devices would widen the sphere until she had the whole room. Even though I live on my own my house is busy with animals who are always in your face and so this encouraged her to guard more --- she was rehomed to a quiet household that had no other animals and would get plenty of exercise (it was suggested by a trainer friend that if there was another dog that they had to be a calm one and possibly not a cocker).

One authority on the subject is Jean Donaldson who wrote a book called 'Mine'.

I agree with others that rehoming to a rescue who understands these issues is fine as the dogs can sometimes be managed quite well
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Has anyone who knows Cynthia had any feed-back from her regarding her assessment of Barney and his issues/prospects?

Offline Cotswold Girl

• Site Member
  • The Cotswold Crazy Gang
    • Northern English Springer Spaniel Rescue
Has anyone who knows Cynthia had any feed-back from her regarding her assessment of Barney and his issues/prospects?

From speaking to Cynthia she is letting him have some chill out time and get his barings before she does very much with him. Often it is best to let them settle alittle before a proper assessment can be done. But so far it sounds like he is not being any bother.

She is definately one special lady and definately in the best possible experienced hands if Barney has a chance of rehabilitation and finding a new home.
Rhyannon, Spec, Broc, Shrek, Tilly-Bob & Wellie
NESSR Rehoming Co-ordinator.
Registered Charity No: 1121569 Charity Registered In Scotland No. SC040037

Offline ladylola

• Donator
I agree with this. Often when a dog changes homes it is on it's best behaviour  :lol2:  I found Monty's character changed quite a lot after having him for two weeks. He certainly came out of his shell  :005:
Hope he gets on ok and finds a lovely new home.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline CJ

• Site Member
have just read this through again, wondering how the little chap is.  Just wondered, could he have a hearing problem?  Sudden sounds when under the coffee table?  Just a thought.

I do hope he is doing OK.