Author Topic: Calling all Cockers on Eden  (Read 14061 times)

Offline jonnytrabant

Re: Calling all Cockers on Eden
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2013, 12:06:46 PM »

So now I need to start the look around for the next best food! arg!!!!
[/quote]

Don't be fooled like me about reviews. What's good for one dog doesn't mean it's good for another, if that were the case then every dog would be on the same food and the fact there are literally 100's maybe 1000's of foods out there.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2013, 12:14:18 PM »
Although Ozzy is doing well on Eden and loves it (but then, Ozzy loves all food!!)  I do wonder whether the high protein is what is causing a few cockers to have poo problems.  I know there are carbohydrates in Eden in the form of fruit and veg, but maybe some dogs just need more than others.  Although Ozzy has solid poos first thing, his later poos on our morning walk usually end with a little bit of very runny, almost watery, poo (sorry, too graphic  :020:)  I am thinking that this is just because it hasn't been in there very long.  After our morning walk, he very rarely goes again until the following morning, when it's nice and solid again.  Bit puzzled, but maybe this is just normal for him, as he did it on RC and on JWB.

Offline Sharonb

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2013, 12:24:42 PM »
I tried both my cockers on Eden, again they both love it, fine in the morning but a bit loose by the afternoon. I have decided to start changing them over to Barking Heads to see if it suits them. They were on JWB before and although I dont want to keep changing their food I just dont feel like I have found the best food for them yet so am hoping that BH will be the one!

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2013, 12:35:11 PM »
Riley is similar to ozzy in that aspect. His morning poo is solid, hard even, Then the next one (as soon as he gets off lead) in the park is mostly formed. That is usually him till the next morning but occasionally goes on his evening walk then its quite soft, still formed but soft.
He was too like that on JWB.
Im not going to over analysis his poo, (we dont with humans do we)  unless your Gilllian mad McKeith.

Its a great food and he is thriving so Im keeping him on it unless anything changes.

Offline Biddy

« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2013, 12:41:10 PM »
Hi,
I too have changed Jake to Barking Heads.
He loves it, but loves food so that has never been an issue.
Poos were formed within 24 hrs of change over, we are now on 50:50. No loose poo and less of it!
Contacted Eden to tell them of Jakes issue - no response yet.
Lets hope all these poor cocker tummies get sorted soon, and I'm hoping Jake will soon regain the weight he lost.

Glad that Riley has formed poo, if Jakes had been even soft formed then I would have been happy, but it was his weight loss (he is a slim dog anyway) and custard poos that made me realise that it was not the correct food for him.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2013, 12:43:57 PM »
Hi,
I too have changed Jake to Barking Heads.
He loves it, but loves food so that has never been an issue.
Poos were formed within 24 hrs of change over, we are now on 50:50. No loose poo and less of it!
Contacted Eden to tell them of Jakes issue - no response yet.
Lets hope all these poor cocker tummies get sorted soon, and I'm hoping Jake will soon regain the weight he lost.

Glad that Riley has formed poo, if Jakes had been even soft formed then I would have been happy, but it was his weight loss (he is a slim dog anyway) and custard poos that made me realise that it was not the correct food for him.

I agree its the weight issue that is the most important issue.
Glad Jake is doing well.

Offline HoneyG

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2013, 12:47:41 PM »
It's just the 'hunger' that seems to be getting me.....though I am sure we can never tell as think our cockers would eat forever!!

Honey has remained at a steady 12.5kg since being on Eden. We started off with 200g (I did like for like with her old food) but we were totally liquid poo.  So after advice from Eden and doing the reduction in stages we are now on just 150g per day (2 * 75g meals).  any more than that - or too many extra treats added in and we go pure liquid again!!!

The amount really does seem quite small and I wonder if she is just not getting the 'full' feeling?  But not even sure if dogs have this in the same way as us!!  She might be getting all the calories and nutrients she needs, but she still seems hungry.  I guess if someone gave me a concentrated form of exactly what I needed to be my optimum weight....I would also feel hungry!!  

We have started to give her bits of our meals in the evening now (left over rice/pasta) - but I feel the right thing to do would be to get a food that gives same nutrients but maybe she just needs those 'fillers'!

Beki (and Honey!)

Offline Sharonb

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2013, 12:57:15 PM »
I also had to reduce amounts to avoid the upset tummies, Bella who is 7 stayed pretty much the same weight but Brodie who is only 7 months started to loose weight when he should be gaining. I am not saying it isnt a good food for some dogs, its just not the best food for mine.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2013, 12:58:24 PM »
It's just the 'hunger' that seems to be getting me.....though I am sure we can never tell as think our cockers would eat forever!!

Honey has remained at a steady 12.5kg since being on Eden. We started off with 200g (I did like for like with her old food) but we were totally liquid poo.  So after advice from Eden and doing the reduction in stages we are now on just 150g per day (2 * 75g meals).  any more than that - or too many extra treats added in and we go pure liquid again!!!

The amount really does seem quite small and I wonder if she is just not getting the 'full' feeling?  But not even sure if dogs have this in the same way as us!!  She might be getting all the calories and nutrients she needs, but she still seems hungry.  I guess if someone gave me a concentrated form of exactly what I needed to be my optimum weight....I would also feel hungry!!  

We have started to give her bits of our meals in the evening now (left over rice/pasta) - but I feel the right thing to do would be to get a food that gives same nutrients but maybe she just needs those 'fillers'!

I havent noticed Riley being any more hungry, he has always been food obsessed, the eden is gone in under 3 mins ,
I give him about 95g twice per day.
He does get some days a little bit of forthglade mixed in with eden, or some mackerel fillets, chicken or salmon either in with it or about lunchtime,

He never has had liquid poo at all, softer , yes but never like Honey has.
He is 13.9kg now.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2013, 01:45:23 PM »
I think runny poo's when being worked or exercised is very common, most of my working dogs have done this.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2013, 03:46:59 PM »
I find Bucks may have an interesting sample if he's been running and needs to go  :dunno:

Offline HoneyG

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
I think runny poo's when being worked or exercised is very common, most of my working dogs have done this.

Oh okay, this is interesting!  Honey is a 'show', not sure if that makes a difference. And I don't think my level of activity could be classed as her being a 'working' dog.....

We do a 5km run/cycle most mornings, then just a short 20 minute walk mid-day. then usually 30-60 minute walk in the evenings.....
Weekends tend to be one long walk each day ....

Prior to going on Eden we had no runny poo's at all....(to clarify....I  mean Honey here...not sure why i used the royal 'we'  :005: )
Beki (and Honey!)

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »
I think the runnies have a lot to do with excitement, my dogs on non working days would be fine but once at a shoot within 10 mins they would empty normally and within the next half hour or so would have a touch of the runnies. I know lots of other owners that have noticed this as well.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline HoneyG

« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2013, 04:48:05 PM »
Maybe Honey is just over excited at her Eden food then  :lol:

But this forum is just great - learn so many things :) I thought I had left all the poo talk behind once my kids were out of nappies ;)
Beki (and Honey!)

Offline Helen Smith

« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2013, 05:02:24 PM »
My husband and I were just having a discussion about that today. Because Holly has had the difficulties with Edens, just how long can puppy afford to "detox". She is thin coupled with the fact she has had a second bout of diarrhoea, on top of all the runny Eden poos she is losing weight and must be losing a lot off nutrition, anyway our conversation goes like this after a walk etc. "Well did she go? How  was it? Then follows a graphic description of the offending object!!!!! As you say "Nappy days are here again" !!