Author Topic: New Year: New BARF Thread....  (Read 4065 times)

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
New Year: New BARF Thread....
« on: January 02, 2007, 01:18:47 PM »
I've recently joined BritBARF on Yahoo and was fascinated by a recent post made by Derek, the list "owner", about the "Do's & Don'ts" of BARF.

In summary, he said that, as a rough guide, by weight in the diet, you should be feeding around 3% of body weight for an adult dog (which is what we keep saying on here) comprising:

1.  around 5-15% bone;

2.  around 70% 'meat' which includes organs like tripe, lung, heart (not too much), fish and eggs; and

3.  around 10-20% of the glandular organs like liver and kidney.

This guide has really helped me to fine-tune Paddy's diet and I thought it might be helpful for others who are starting out on the BARF road - for instance, I hadn't realised that "meat" included the "non-glandular" organs of lung, heart, tripe - I've always mentally allocated all organs, including tripe to the "organ" quota of Paddy's diet, rather than some being allocated to the "meat" quota part.

Do the experienced BARF'ers think it looks like a sound division between the dietary elements?

However - one question occurred to me.  What is the issue with heart - Derek is the one who wrote "heart - not too much" - not me?  I've read about the vitamin A overdose issues with feeding excess amounts of liver but can't find anything about heart.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Denise

Penel

Re: New Year: New BARF Thread....
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 01:05:08 PM »
HI Denise,
Derek has been feeding raw for yonks so I'd go by what he says !  I think the heart thing is the Vit A issue, like you said.  Mine have less liver / kidney than he recommends though, without it seeming to cause any problems.
Dare I ask howz Paddy ?

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 09:14:28 AM »
I've just used these figures to look at Daisy's amounts and I nearly fell over  :005:  Using these ratios Daise would be eating nearly double what she's eating now  :o :o

As most of you know I do mine by 'look' or fist size  ;) and I am truley amazed by these amounts.  Is this amount what most perople are feeding cos if so mine have been short changed from day one  :lol:

BRB

OK - just done Dill's and that is closer to the mark, but still more than I'm actually feeding

Mybe I'm just a meany  ph34r
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Naughty Pair

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 09:19:41 AM »
compared to the above mine eat more bone than liver/kidney...umm may have to change things...
Love Jane

Mum to Annie and Teri

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 09:52:17 AM »
Mine eat approx. 500gms a day which is roughly 3% of their body weight. (Well Casper's body weight to be honest. Reuben weighs slightly less but gets the same amount.) And I'm not going to check my percentages again as it seriously did my head in the first time around.  :005:

They have 100gms of heart twice a week, but I've always mixed this in with liver and kidney as I thought it was classed as offal rather than meat.  :-\ 

And on the bone front. When you feed chicken wings, how are you supposed to know what percentage is bone and what is meat?  :huh:

Penel

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 10:14:51 AM »
I think chicken wings are about 4% bone.  I think - I am not sure. ;)

I have no idea how much I feed mine in weight  - and I don't really want to get tripe on the scales  ph34r

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 02:15:42 PM »
and I don't really want to get tripe on the scales  ph34r

You just have no sense of adventure  :005: :005:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 02:30:00 PM »
and I don't really want to get tripe on the scales  ph34r

You just have no sense of adventure  :005: :005:

For the love of God!!!!!!!!! STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALES! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Life's too short!!!!!!!!! :005: I havent got time for that!!

Thanks for that info though Denise :D :D Please don't think I'm belittling it, I'm HONESTLY not  :D And I'm glad it has helped you with Paddys diet :D :D

I  just know my weigh (WAY even!!! left that sp mistake must have been a fruedin slip :lol: ) GUESTIMATING works perfectly welll for me, and from the vets mouth, "you have two VERY healthy dogs"

Seriously though, if I was umming and ahhhhhing about BARF the thought of weighing everything out would drive me crackers!!

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 02:50:57 PM »
You do make me laugh, Lisa!  I can just imagine you in a US policewoman's uniform, gun in hand while bellowing "STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALES - AND KEEP YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM (and check you're not surreptitiously weighing things)".  :005: 

I was surprised by the amounts too, and did a "rough-cut" like Sarah, against what I actually give Paddy.  What I realised is that I've probably been under-feeding him, but he's been looking and feeling like a perfect weight because OH gives him masses of treats - he's been getting through a third of a small bag of Mini-Jacks by James Wellbeloved a day without me realising it.  I'm upping the food at meals and told OH to back off the treats: easily done this week, since we've run out and I'm not replacing till I see what the increased meal sizes and re-jigged combinations do to Paddy's waistline. 

But he shouldn't be taking in such a large volume of calories in less nutritious formats - treats are "occasionals", not meal replacements which is what OH has built them up to.  I've also been giving too little offal - if heart counts as "meat" - I hadn't realised that for dog purposes, "offal" = "glandular organs".

I'll let you know if I see any changes from the meal format changing.

I've also found that Paddy can't cope with a meaty bone meal - i.e. where he just gets 150/170g lump of breast of lamb - he gets really constipated - which makes a change from colitis  ph34r.  So I've been giving him smaller pieces, more often - with minced lamb & veggies as the main part of the meal.

Penel - Paddy's a whiz.  Had a minor relapse - used the acute medication and that sorted it swiftly - and Mark changed his daily medication.  He's still so much livelier than before he started the homeopathy, but calmer (less hyper) than he was on the first set of medication.  His coat is sooooo lovely - soft and glossy - maybe Mark could do something with the wool on my head (then again, if I ate as good a diet as Pads, I'd probably be all glowing and glossy too!).  Tummy/bowel is settled and ordinary - what a relief - for the time being!  Still a few of the oddities I PM'd you about, but I put that down to Paddy, not his colitis: sometimes he's just an odd little dog.  Breath getting miles better since the new meds too.  My mother hadn't seen him for about six weeks and said at the weekend that he looked even more beautiful - lovely proportions, amazing coat, moving nicely - so there's a thumbs up!

Oddly though: I weighed him at the end of November, just before going to see Mark.  He was 11.9kg and a bit "thick" around the middle.  Weighed him at the weekend - beautiful waist visible now, looks leaner - he's put on a full kilo and is now 12.9kg - but it's solid muscle and mass, not flab.  So I'm putting that down to the combined benefits of a revised BARF diet, in line with Mark's views, and his medication helping him to optimise his absorption of the nutrients.

I just love him....it was a year ago on Saturday that we collected him....can't believe he's now 14 months old.  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Denise

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 02:54:49 PM »
Sounds like Paddy is feeling heaps better for his meat n bones!! :D :D :D

(hee hee!!! pmsl at the US policewoman comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;))

Penel

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 03:01:40 PM »
Yipee I am thrilled to hear Paddy is doing so well.  It does take a while to get them "right" when they've been "wrong" for a long time - but I am sure you'll get there in the end with Mark's help  :D

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 03:19:48 PM »
Lisa you are so funny. I love the "STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALES" and honestly do get your point but can I just say that at the beginning I actually found this sort of detail very helpful and reassuring as I had no idea where to start without them.

However, I do agree that sometimes reliance on scales can be taken a bit too far and I was helped enormously by the increasingly funny (and facetious?) debate about sardines a few months ago. I realised then that I have become overly obsessed with the scales and have deliberately not been using them so much.

However, when I realised that the normally lean Buddy was filling out quite a lot I did start weighing again, just to make sure I was reducing the meals slightly. However, although he is a lot more "filled out", (and it's obviously not all muscle in his case - see the Buddy's legs thread), the vet did say that he was perfect as far as she could see even though he has gone up to 15kg now. I must make sure that he doesn't get any heavier though.

Have to say we have settled quite well into the routine now, and I fuss much less than I used to due to someone pointing out that I don't weigh and measure food for the family (maybe I should!!)