Author Topic: Another BARF question....  (Read 6030 times)

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
Re: Another BARF question....
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 07:50:09 AM »
Another little hyjack - I thought I'd move mine onto something a little more nutritional and interesting than the Beta puppy, especially as Lou's now 6 months and reducing to 2 meals now.  Loueie is not a problem he eats ANYTHING then asks questions after but Jasper is another matter he is such a fussy eater.

Jasper is so picky he walks away even if not seemed to have eaten for ages and Louie sweeps in if I'm not ready to lift the dish.  I've found Jasper will eat the puppy food better than most but still needs a tempter such as cheese which I want to avoid as its my high value trainer. I'm alsosure not good for him too often.

I've found he loves pilchards so I've been adding a small amount to his breakfast.  He likes carrots occasionally.  I've bought frozen tripe, chicken and similar mince and the natures menu pre prepared but he walks away - he'll eat cooked chicken; instead of raw, can I introduce cooked meats even if the nutrition may have slightly reduced where's the best place to get information where to start because I'm overwhelmed by the choice and what to do to get started.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 12:07:39 PM »
the problem with cooking the meat is that you change its structure and nutritional profile - so dogs don't benefit from it as much.

Can you try feeding Jasper separately?  Paddy is often reluctant to start eating so rather than hover or fuss, I just leave him in the kitchen on his own with the door closed: it's always been eaten when i come back ten minutes later.

Denise

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 04:38:31 PM »
the problem with cooking the meat is that you change its structure and nutritional profile - so dogs don't benefit from it as much.

Can you try feeding Jasper separately?  Paddy is often reluctant to start eating so rather than hover or fuss, I just leave him in the kitchen on his own with the door closed: it's always been eaten when i come back ten minutes later.

Denise

He was a poor eater before Louie arrived, hoped that competition might of encouraged him but that didn't work either.  it doesn't matter who gets fed where or when he's just not fussed.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline minstrel99

• Site Member
  • up close and Minstrel
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 09:08:04 PM »
Hi Folks, have any of you tried the RawMeatyBonesUK site? I started raw feeding about 15 months ago firstly trying to follow Ian Billinghursts suggestions then I read Tom Lonsdales book 'Raw Meaty Bones' and I very quickly changed some of my thinking, my three, Buddy 7yrs, Teal 4yrs and Rosie 13months are now fed only once a day with the occasional whole egg and a spot of Goats Milk in the morning. In the average week they enjoy 1-2 whole chicken carcasses, pairs of lamb ribs taken from a whole rib cage,2- 300gs large chunks of ox-heart, whole turkey necks, 2-300gs lumps of green tripe, tinned Mackrel/sardines in oil(they don't like the texture of whole raw fish), 3-4 pork ribs. they are all thriving and thoroughly enjoy their food, feeding time has an air of excited anticipation, the only time I use minced tripe and offal is when I want to add wheatgerm oil, evening primrose and fish body oil or to worm them. they also get a fair bit of garlic. their teeth are beautiful with nice pink gums, their coats have a lovely bloom and they are full of energy. I also give them the odd large knuckle bone for recreational gnawing.
luv linda and the doggliesx
Linda and the doglies x

Offline Anita breathes Cockers

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 12:09:32 AM »
Thought I'd just add to this post in case anyone is interested.  Spent an evening reading posts from last year about BARF :o
Well, my dogs have been having it for about 10 days now and already I cannot believe the difference! :D
They are wolfing down all offal, tripe, veg, eggs and looking absolutely FANTASTIC.  My roans coat is shiny, she has put a little weight on, their tails are wagging off their bottoms at meal time.  They make lovely noises and are very happy!!!  Thankyou for helping me convert, we will never lookback.
Oh and the pooh situation is amazing!!!!! No constip or diarr, much less.  Smelly breath gone.  I am amazed!! :-* to all you people debating and giving me the courage to go ahead.
One question, why is uncooked egg white ok when other sources talk of avidin???  Scramble eggs or just yolks for little ones but is uncooked white ok with BARF???? PLease????
[img width= height=]http://www.animationattic.com/dog0037.gif[/img] "Won't be long" means nothing to a dog.  All he knows, is that you're GONE!  He gives his heart; be worthy.

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 01:41:48 AM »

One question, why is uncooked egg white ok when other sources talk of avidin???  Scramble eggs or just yolks for little ones but is uncooked white ok with BARF???? PLease????

Mine have raw eggs with shells, white, yolks and all once a week. I know others that do the same too.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)