Author Topic: prunes, figs and apricots - are they ok for dogs  (Read 10618 times)

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
prunes, figs and apricots - are they ok for dogs
« on: October 26, 2008, 10:25:14 PM »
When feeding barf or part barf is it safe to give figs, prunes and apricots as fruits in the diet?   ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline KarenB

Re: prunes, figs and apricots - are they ok for dogs
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 10:55:44 PM »
Hi Anne, I part feed Barf and Kibble, carrots, apple, apricots, tomotoes, not all at once, but mostly the tit bits for treats, not sure about prunes, do they have stones ?

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 07:20:27 AM »
I don't know anything about BARF but those fruits all tend to have a "loosening" effect on my own digestive system .... so I would go steady on them!

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:29:11 PM »
Hi Anne, I part feed Barf and Kibble, carrots, apple, apricots, tomotoes, not all at once, but mostly the tit bits for treats, not sure about prunes, do they have stones ?

Hi karen - thanks  ;)  The prunes are stoneless ones from M and S - I just needed to check so I don't give him anything toxic  ;)  I've decided to stick with part BARF - I want to introduce fruit and veg into the diet though for variety and balance  :blink:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:35:57 PM »

Hi karen - thanks  ;)  The prunes are stoneless ones from M and S - I just needed to check so I don't give him anything toxic  ;)  I've decided to stick with part BARF - I want to introduce fruit and veg into the diet though for variety and balance  :blink:

Prunes!!!!!! :P You cruel woman (only joking). I can't imagine anything worse apart from brussel sprouts (please tell me you're not feeding them as well!

On a more serious note, watch out for stones in fruit. William swallowed a peach stone a few months ago and although it didn't get stuck anywhere I had days of worry and vet bills for scans and x-rays. they can cause horrendous problems.

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 11:23:21 PM »

:rofl1: :rofl1: well Daxlet must agree karen cos he wouldn't eat the prune - just kept diving on it  :005: he ate some apricot then spat that out  :005: Now on brussel sprouts I must agree - vile things!   :lol:  Its a wonder we haven't ended up with xrays and scans cos he makes a b-line for anything solid he can swallow - he tried to eat OH watch tonight and I had to bribe him with cheese to get it back  :o   :005:  Basically anything which isn't fastened down or at eye level is fair game  ::) boyz will be boyz I guess  ;)

Prunes!!!!!! :P You cruel woman (only joking). I can't imagine anything worse apart from brussel sprouts (please tell me you're not feeding them as well!

On a more serious note, watch out for stones in fruit. William swallowed a peach stone a few months ago and although it didn't get stuck anywhere I had days of worry and vet bills for scans and x-rays. they can cause horrendous problems.

Offline debbiedaywalker

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 12:17:44 PM »
I've heard that raisins are bad for dogs so prunes would be out, sorry don't know about figs and apricots.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 01:01:46 PM »
I've heard that raisins are bad for dogs so prunes would be out, sorry don't know about figs and apricots.

I don't follow..  :huh: Raisins are bad for dogs, as are grapes (Raisins are dried grapes).  However Plums (apart from the stone) are fine for dogs (Prunes are dried plums).  ;)

Honey loves dried Apricot, as long as we cut it up first....  ::)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline debbiedaywalker

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 01:24:33 PM »
Sorry Karma you're right!  :embarassed: got my dried fruits all muddled. Brain's fuddled, have been up since 4.30, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!! :blink:

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 11:12:40 PM »

I don't follow..  :huh: Raisins are bad for dogs, as are grapes (Raisins are dried grapes).  However Plums (apart from the stone) are fine for dogs (Prunes are dried plums).  ;)

Honey loves dried Apricot, as long as we cut it up first....  ::)

Thanks Karma - I'll try cutting the apricot up  ;)  The things we do for our dogs  :005:

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 11:10:48 AM »

Thanks Karma - I'll try cutting the apricot up  ;)  The things we do for our dogs  :005:

Cutting them up!  :o :o :o Crikey - why make work for yourself?  Cassie pinched a whole packet while I had my back turned making lamb tagine. By the time I reached out for it, she had opened the wrapper (without making a sound  ::)) wolfed the entire contents and was sitting looking heavenwards with an expression of holy bliss. And I can conclusively uphold the maxim that moderation is best.  Every single one of the apricots (scarcely chewed) was detectable amidst the vast heaps on the lawn the next morning.  :005: :005: Too much information?  :005:

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 03:11:16 PM »
I'd also say go easy on dried fruits generally: fresh fruit by definition is higher in sugars than veg, and the concentrated "delivery" of sugars from pieces of dried fruit isn't advisable for humans (ramping up your blood sugar, triggering insulin release to "mop up" the sugars, then the slump to follow) nor for dogs