Author Topic: Feeding advice please  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Bagpuss

• Site Member
Feeding advice please
« on: March 12, 2007, 04:24:52 PM »
Having read extensively, I have decided to change Charlie's food to James Wellbeloved. 

He came to us just under a fortnight ago, and was on Baker's Complete.  I know that I have to gradually increase the new food, whilst decreasing the old - and for about two weeks.

I have a couple of questions and would appreciate some advice.

1.  Presently, Charlie has 350g of Baker's Complete a day - 175g in the morning, and 175g in the evening.    However, the James Wellbeloved says that for his weight (15kg) he should be on 220g per day.  Should I cut down the amount he has to 110g morning/evening or leave it as he's been having it (I wondered whether the nutritional value is better, hence needing less?), and if so, I guess I should do it gradually?

2.  Do you think it might make his pooh more solid?  It's currently quite runny - not like diarrhoea, but difficult to pick up!

On another note - Charlie walks as he poos, which means he leaves a trail!  Is this unusual?

Thanks in advance.   :D

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
Re: Feeding advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 04:30:57 PM »
You will find that you need to feed less of JWB than of Bakers as JWB does not contain fillers and stuff that just goes through the dog's body without being used.

And yes, you may well find that the poos will firm up and that there will be less of it (see above).

No, I have a dog too that walks as he poos... pain in the bum he is...  :005:

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline inga

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 08:12:57 AM »
Hi,
We have a dog that walks as he poohs, I don't think it is unusual. If his poohs are that soft I think you could be overfeeding him but I found a big difference when I changed to BURNS food s there are no nasty additives it is all natural.

Offline Bagpuss

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 09:40:16 AM »
I wondered whether he's been having too much - it's what his previous owner gave him.  The vet weighed him when we took him for a check-up when we got him - he was 15kg.  The vet didn't comment about whether that was too much and my husband didn't think to ask.

This morning, his 'deposits' seemed to be firmer, but that must be coincidence because he'd only had 50g of the new James Wellbeloved food mixed in with the Baker's Complete, so I guess that won't have made a difference yet.

As I said, currently he's on 175g twice a day, but I'm going to monitor his weight when he's changed fully to the new food and will cut down if necessary.

Thanks for the help, Lurchergirl and Inga.   :)

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 12:54:28 PM »
Bagpuss

Couple of comments: first, I think you can move him over to JWB faster than over a two week period without ill-effects - a week should be fine.  Secondly, I'd go with the JWB recommendation on amounts if you think that he's too chubby at 15kg.  In terms of how you tell if he's the right weight, there are two tests.

First one - get him to stand straight (i.e. no curve in his body which would overstretch the long side or "scrunch up" the shorter side of the curve) and run your hands lightly over his rib cage, then do it more firmly but without pressing your hands into his flank.  If you can feel his ribs, but can't see them, and they only have a light covering of flesh, skin & fur, then that's a good sign.  If you have to apply pressure to feel his ribs as you run your hands over them because he's a bit too "well-upholstered" - then he's carrying too much weight.

Second one - again, while he's standing straight, get behind him and look down at him.  He should have a "rounding out" from his shoulders where his rib cage is, then it should taper in at the base of his rib cage so that, looked at from above, he has a well-defined waist between his rib cage and his haunches.  No waist or chunky waist: less JWB for Charlie Chubs. 

If he looks good and ribs feel good as he is - I'd still serve less JWB than Bakers to start with - maybe go for half way between the two amounts.  Once he's 100% on JWB, you'll see within five to seven days if he's putting on too much weight and will be able to adjust downwards accordingly without it being a shock to his system.

Good luck and keep us posted.

D