Author Topic: BARF when away??  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
BARF when away??
« on: March 22, 2007, 02:43:45 PM »
Buddy is off to the pet sitter for a few days next month and I wonder if there is a way of continuing his (mainly) raw, natural diet whilst we are away without filling her freezer?

I bought some sachets of Natures Menu and while I'm happy enough with it, it is cooked and contains rice etc. Is there anything else I can buy?

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Re: BARF when away??
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 02:52:24 PM »
Why not fill her freezer?  When we went on two weeks' holiday in October, I bagged each meal individually and froze it, as I always do and just brought her all the bags to pop into her freezer.  She'd never fed raw food but said that it was easy just to "thaw and tip" into the bowl....

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 02:56:30 PM »
Why not fill her freezer?  When we went on two weeks' holiday in October, I bagged each meal individually and froze it, as I always do and just brought her all the bags to pop into her freezer.  She'd never fed raw food but said that it was easy just to "thaw and tip" into the bowl....

Sounds like a good idea to me if she is quite happy to do this.  Otherwise, I would probably be happy for Coco to have Naturediet and some Arden Grange for a few days.   ;) 
Julie and Watson

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »

That's what I'm trying to avoid doing! She has a family, works term-time and quite often has more than one dog to stay. She already thinks we are mad with the peanut butter kong at bedtime (don't ask!)

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 02:59:18 PM »
I always opt for nature diet sachets if its only for a few days.  You can always make up meals in advance in tupperware dishes and then all they have to do is empty them out.

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 03:02:55 PM »
Buddy is off to the pet sitter for a few days next month
If it's only for a couple of days you could always take her a few tins of sardines and half a dozen eggs Annette. Just dont ask how many inches again  ph34r  :005:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 03:09:26 PM »
With Alfie if he's at the dog sitter or staying with my Mum and Stepdad he gets Arden Grange and Naturediet for the duration. Apart from the logisitics of transporting two week's worth of frozen raw meat from Edinburgh to Northern Ireland it's just too much of a faff for them to have to do. I barely have room in my freezer for his mince, chicken, tripe, bones etc. so I wouldn't like to ask either my parents or the dog sitter to start clearing out a drawer in theirs. Although tbh with the fact that my Mum feeds them toast, cheese, ham, mashed potatoes and all kinds of other stuff when they're there the AG and Naturediet is the least of my worries  ::) :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 05:38:40 PM »
last time we went away to the lakes, I just individually bagged a weeks worth of raw food and put it in one of those plug in coolers. If you buy it as fresh as you can to the day he goes it'll still have a good date on it to help it smell fresher for longer. He'll not mind if it whiffs but your pet sitter may if she's not used to the occasional smelly raw meal.  :shades:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 07:58:02 PM »
I tend to use pre-prepared food (Burns and/or Naturediet) if I am going away and leaving Molo in kennels or with someone else.....it doesn't do him any harm occasionally, and I would prefer him to continue to have a taste for easy to obtain food in case there is ever an emergency and I have to ask someone to care for him at short notice  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Penel

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 10:09:12 PM »
If it's only a few days, I'd ask them to give him sardines / tripe.  Most people don't want the responsbility of giving other people's dogs bones....

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 01:01:42 PM »
I'd go for naturediet or just tins of sardines as that's easy to feed. We are taking our two on a boating holiday for a week in June with no freezer so they'll be getting naturediet and sardines (maybe I can get them little fishing rods and they can catch sticklebacks for their dinner?  :lol: I can just see that, Zorro would be soooooo bored and then the excitement of something pulling on the line would be too much, he'd end up capsizing the boat with all his jumping up and down  :lol: - erm, time for me to go home I think, getting a bit carried away  ph34r).
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 02:34:12 PM »
 :005:
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories