Author Topic: Food No No's?  (Read 6731 times)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
Re: Food No No's?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 12:03:32 PM »
I don't think garlic or raw eggs are on the 'bad' list ? :huh:
Well mine have both.  :D I'm pretty sure most people who feed BARF give their dogs raw eggs complete with the shells.  :-\

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 12:05:03 PM »
6/10 too  ph34r
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 12:20:19 PM »
I don't think garlic or raw eggs are on the 'bad' list ? :huh:
Well mine have both.  :D I'm pretty sure most people who feed BARF give their dogs raw eggs complete with the shells.  :-\

eggs and garlic both fine.

the 'no' foods links are a good guideline but remember that your dog needs to ingest an awful lot (ie around 20 apples worth of pips) for some of the substances to be toxic to them!   also, chocolate - it's the cocoa thats toxic so most milk chocolates have a low cocoa solid level (mostly fat and sugar) and again if your dog accidentally eats a small amount don't panic.

helen & jarvis x

Offline Bagpuss

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 12:33:00 PM »
try this link its a dog food test
http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz.cfm?qid=197844&origin
How many did u all get ?
You scored: 8 / 10
Total points: 80
The average score for this quiz: 4 / 10

But that's because I'd just read this thread!  ;)

Thanks for the info re: eggs.   Actually, I'm sure I read somewhere that it's good to grind the shell into a fine powder and mix with food as it's high in calcium.

I guess the adage 'everything in moderation' is a good one to follow.  :)

Offline DebbieB

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 01:10:17 PM »
I used to have a Boxer and whilst we where out he managed to get into a food drawer  :o and take out a family size bar of Galaxy - that was the most expensive bar of chocolate Ive ever paid for and not even had a bite (2 days and nights at the Vets costing over £200).

Ive now learned my lesson!

Cant understand the garlic thing cos my sister was told by her Vet to giver her Yorkie a garlic tablet and a fish oil capsules every day.

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 01:28:58 PM »
 ;) 8/10  ::)

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 01:42:35 PM »
I got 8 out of 10, got the second and last ones wrong.  ::) 
My vet told me garlic was fine, good natural flea deterrent and also raw eggs were fine as an occasional treat no more than 3 a week, but I tyhink that was more down to them being fattening than anything else.   ;)

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 03:04:17 PM »
Items to avoid                               Reasons to avoid

Alcoholic beverages             Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.

Baby food    Can contain onion powder, which can be toxic to dogs. (Please see onion below.) Can also result in nutritional deficiencies, if fed in large amounts.

Bones from fish, poultry, other meat sources Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.

Cat food                Generally too high in protein and fats.

Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine    Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous systems.

Citrus oil extracts             Can cause vomiting.

Fat trimmings                Can cause pancreatitis.

Grapes and raisins    Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys.

Hops    Unknown compound causes panting, increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.

Human vitamin supplements containing iron Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.

Large amounts of liver    Can cause Vitamin A toxicity, which affects muscles and bones.

Macadamia nuts    Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.

Marijuana    Can depress the nervous system, cause vomiting, and changes in the heart rate.

Milk and other dairy products    Some adult dogs and cats do not have sufficient amounts of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down the lactose in milk. This can result in diarrhea. Lactose-free milk products are available for pets.

Mouldy or spoiled food, garbage    Can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting and diarrhea and can also affect other organs.

Mushrooms    Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.

Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder) Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

Persimmons    Seeds can cause intestinal obstruction and enteritis.

Pits from peaches and plums    Can cause obstruction of the digestive tract.

Potato, rhubarb, and tomato leaves; potato and tomato stems
Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems. This is more of a problem in livestock.

Raw eggs    Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

Raw fish    Can result in a thiamine (a B vitamin) deficiency leading to loss of appetite, seizures, and in severe cases, death. More common if raw fish is fed regularly.

Salt    If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.

String    Can become trapped in the digestive system; called a "string foreign body."

Sugary foods    Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.

Table scraps (in large amounts)    Table scraps are not nutritionally balanced. They should never be more than 10% of the diet. Fat should be trimmed from meat; bones should not be fed.

Tobacco    Contains nicotine, which affects the digestive and nervous systems. Can result in rapid heart beat, collapse, coma, and death.

Yeast dough    Can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 05:14:55 PM »
I got 9/10 but some of them were guesses I have to say! I knew about Misteltoe - good job as at Xmas someone had brought some round for us and a load of berries fell on the floor. Bella quickly grabbed as many as she could but thank god she's really good at letting me in her mouth so I was able to hook them out - got 12 berries out  ph34r and as far as I know she'd not had time to swallow any and was fine.

I'm not sure about all the things on the list above though - my two are on Barf and get raw chicken (with bones), raw mackeral and raw eggs (of which Zorro eats the shells as well as he loves them).

And as for the garbage thing, try telling that to Bella, she is a canine dustbin!  :lol:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Anita breathes Cockers

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 05:47:34 PM »
I was told Raw egg yolk was fine but raw egg white was not due to the avidin content.
But the whole egg fine if scrambled.  My vet said to give it cooked as the white is eggstremely ( :005:) good for them.
[img width= height=]http://www.animationattic.com/dog0037.gif[/img] "Won't be long" means nothing to a dog.  All he knows, is that you're GONE!  He gives his heart; be worthy.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 06:20:29 PM »
...and i was told the whole raw egg including the shell is fine....

helen & jarvis x

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 06:32:31 PM »
I got 8/10. got the bread dough wrong and the xmas plant
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2007, 06:42:43 PM »
10/10  :o ..couldnt believe it, I'm useless at quizzes  :005:
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2007, 08:52:22 PM »
7/10 for me   >:(

Offline Anita breathes Cockers

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2007, 08:58:33 PM »
Yeah, have found the egg thing quite confusing. I do give my older ones the whole egg including shell, but puppies have scrambled egg or just the yolk...??? :-\
[img width= height=]http://www.animationattic.com/dog0037.gif[/img] "Won't be long" means nothing to a dog.  All he knows, is that you're GONE!  He gives his heart; be worthy.