Author Topic: How to make dry, complete food more appetising?  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Boo

• Site Member
How to make dry, complete food more appetising?
« on: April 11, 2007, 09:11:13 PM »
Hi, hope someone has some good ideas  :D
We've had Molly for a week and she's settling in really well but I'm struggling to get her to eat complete dry food.  She'll eat some of it mixed with Nature Diet, most of it with raw mince (which I've just read on another post I'm not supposed to do  ph34r), all of it with pilchards and absolutely loves it with the juices from when I've cooked liver for treats.
I've done searches and am getting quite interested in BARF but what happens when we go on holiday - I really need a simple and convenient meal for Molly and Gracie.
I've tried Molly on Arden Grange and have just bought JWB but she won't touch it on it's own.  Has anyone got any suggestions of something healthy but convenient please?

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Re: How to make dry, complete food more appetising?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 09:16:47 PM »
What about Nature Diet, since she loves it? 

I confess: I'm a BARF feeder, and I started my dog on dry food (told it was "better" than wet) then moved to wet because of colitis problems but.... (and I'm not lumping you into this)...what is the focus on having to feed dry food?  It is soooo counter-intuitive to me that all dogs would prefer dry, dull food....If she's woofing down NDiet - move her onto that!  (Hopefully we can use mind-control procedures to tempt you to the dark side - or is that "the BARF side" - of feeding.... :005:)

If you go BARF - holidays depend on type/destination.  If it's a self-catering venue - buy raw locally and freeze it or buy it daily.  Other BARF'ers switch to dry or wet food if necessary (e.g. in kennels).

Denise

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 09:19:41 PM »
blimey if you've only had her a week and have given her all those different foods no wonder she won't eat it.  I'd stick to the nature diet as suggested they do a puppy range that you can try that will be more than suitable.

Try to avoid too many changes otherwise she'll end up having a runny bottom... ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 09:19:58 PM »
natures menu pouches, nature diet or forthglade or move them slowly onto barf ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Boo

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 09:26:57 PM »
Hi, thanks for the suggestions - I should have mentioned Molly is nearly 2 and was already on Arden Grange but as she didn't like it much I've bought some JWB - which she's not too keen on either   :-\.
Gracie isn't so much a "problem" she's very food motivated ;).
It's just when we go away without them, I want to know there's something "easy" but healthy I can leave her to eat.
And yes, BARF will no doubt be introduced at some stage, but I've got a lot more research to do first!

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 09:30:35 PM »
well the nature diet or any of the pouches listed are easy to keep when travelling alternative is if your opting for barf a cool box will keep most things you'll need without too many problems for several days.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 10:14:12 PM »
most of it with raw mince (which I've just read on another post I'm not supposed to do  ph34r),

There's nothing wrong with feeding raw mince as long as it has been previously frozen and then thoroughly defrosted. That will kill off any presence of an organism called Neospora.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 10:16:48 PM »
most of it with raw mince (which I've just read on another post I'm not supposed to do  ph34r),

There's nothing wrong with feeding raw mince as long as it has been previously frozen and then thoroughly defrosted. That will kill off any presence of an organism called Neospora.

I think the OP meant mixing raw and processed food together - it can give some dogs the runs as it is digested at different rates  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 10:39:16 PM »
Can see what you mean now I've read it again  ::)

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 11:19:19 PM »

So am I right in thinking that fresh mince is risky?  :-\

Penel

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 11:34:12 PM »
Neospora is incredibly rare.  I think that one case of the Boxer a couple of years ago is the only one I've ever heard of.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 10:26:30 AM »
It's the only case I've heard of too, but for a few minutes preparation it's a risk I'm not willing to take IMHO.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 10:31:37 AM »
Most adult fosters won't eat when they 1st arrive so I just do the bad mummy bit and take their food up after 10 min --- they won't starve and less likely they will be fussy (Ruby went through a phase really where she didn't want her food  --- and I knew she wasn't ill so tough she didn't eat)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 10:56:26 AM »
Honey is not a picky eater by any means but she did not like JWB - sometimes we added a little warm water to it and she ate it better - just a tiny drop to bring out the flavour. Decide what you want to do and then change slowly.

I don't feed BARF so can't advise - but many here do and swear by it ;). My reasons are entirely personal (even the thoughts of Neospora is making my BP rise :005:, as those who know me will understand) - I have OCD and have a bit of an obsession about raw food ::). I feel rather proud though that I am now much more relaxed about other people doing it :shades: :005: