Author Topic: Barf  (Read 17053 times)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2005, 07:45:41 PM »
Really don't worry about it.

Everyone has their opinion, I just think we have to be careful how some things are worded, and to ty and use quote marks to identify excatly what we are reffering too.

Just because someone has a difference of view points, doesn't mean anyone elses is wrong.

I like to read different view points, and some of the advise and help is invaluable.

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2005, 07:47:37 PM »
:D Aww Silk (sorry can't remember your real name :ph34r: ) don't worry atall, you started a really interesting topic, we all have our own views and have made our decisions on what we think and what is best for our situations and pet!  Theres no right or wrong way and I can't understand why this thread has got like this :(   

I would be really interested to hear about case studies as that would help me and others make informed decisions where there is "hard evidence" to support a particular method and not make a decsion based on someone elses choice :D

Don't feel bad :) x
[snapback]156139[/snapback]

Thanks Emma!!! God the turmoil!!!! If you are interested check out the BARF website........there are some interesting articles.......for me I can only go on personal experience....like we all do thats why I BARF!!.......plus I'd do anything to keep my pooches happy and it does!!...my names Lisa...not sure why i used Nancy's KC name it makes me sound a bit..............ha ha!!!!!!!

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2005, 08:05:19 PM »

Thanks Emma!!! God the turmoil!!!! If you are interested check out the BARF website........there are some interesting articles.......for me I can only go on personal experience....like we all do thats why I BARF!!.......plus I'd do anything to keep my pooches happy and it does!!...my names Lisa...not sure why i used Nancy's KC name it makes me sound a bit..............ha ha!!!!!!!
[snapback]156142[/snapback]

Thanks Lisa :D  I did wonder where your name came from :lol:   I will have a look at the site, although I really don't think I could ever go down the barf route, I am interested in the subject as a whole :)

Offline amanda

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2005, 08:20:41 PM »
I feed Indie raw chicken wings, raw mince, tna and pilchars to Indie with a complete kibble once a week and the vet couldn't believe how good the condition of his coat and teeth, this was before I told him what we feed Indie. he's very healthy and he loves his raw diet, we tried so many different brands of complete foods, but Indie wouldn't touch any of them. He loves his chicken wings and bolts them down.
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Penel

Barf
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2005, 05:04:38 PM »
I wasn't being smug - I was being honest.  Perhaps you got the wrong end of the stick.  I am honestly telling you that before I fed this way, I had exactly the same attitude as you do - why can't you accept that - without labelling me as smug.  If you haven't fed this way - you can't actually compare the two ways of feeding.  I have fed 5 dogs on a raw diet now, and there is a huge difference between the ones I kibble fed (Burns) and now.
I fed Saffy on BARF for a year when she had SLE which is a polysystemic auto immune disease - she had polyarthritis, glomerulonephritis, vasculitis - the list was long.  All the vets who treated her were amazed she survived as long as she did - certainly the glomerulonephritis would have killed her had she not been fed on an organic chemical free diet.  I know lots of people on my Auto immune group who feed raw including dogs who have IMTP, AIHA and other AI diseases, with excellent results - one dog in particular springs to mind - he had masticatory myositis - chewing raw bones re-built all the muscle he had lost around his skull.
What meats do you all think go into kibble ? :unsure:

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2005, 05:12:36 PM »
I know I started this topic but it was never my intention to start any arguments, I am new to all this and didn't realise what a controversal issue it was (niave of me probably). I apologise if I offended anyone Lisa xxxxx

Penel

Barf
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2005, 05:41:32 PM »
You haven't offended anyone, don't worry  :)

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2005, 07:40:08 PM »
For those of you that do BARF - do you all use organic meat/bones??

I have been unable to source an organic butcher who doesn't charge the earth or who is close enough to do a run every two or three weeks.

So I use meat bought from Tesco's.  Not the value range - the normal stuff.  I'm not sure if I read on this thread - or another - that non-organic meat is not good for dogs - the toxins build up. <_<

So...........my question is - should I continue what I'm doing or alter it??  The ideal would be to find an organic source, but if I cant do the ideal is my next best good enough??? :huh:  :huh:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Penel

Barf
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2005, 08:32:59 PM »
Hi Sarah,
I am lucky enough to know a kind organic butcher that gives me a huge bag of chicken carcasses, lamb ribs, and pork bones every week - so my dogs are mainly fed on organic raw meaty bones.  However the tripe I get is from AMP so that isn't organic.
I think organic is ideal - same as it is with us humans - but if you can't get organic, then the pet meats you can buy frozen are the next option.  They may well have "chemicals" in them if the animals have not been organically raised, but at least they don't have colourings, preservatives, and other such additives in them.  :)
Have you asked on Britbarf if anyone knows of an organic supplier near to you ?

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2005, 08:37:52 PM »
Doh!!!  Never thought of that :blink:  :blink:

Will be right back ;)
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Barf
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2005, 08:45:57 PM »
They may well have "chemicals" in them if the animals have not been organically raised, but at least they don't have colourings, preservatives, and other such additives in them.  :)

Penel - do you know if frozen pet-meat is antibiotic free? I'm not sure whether the source is the same as human meat (which does contain antibio's) - and this is one of the things I really want to avoid - they are dreadful for the environment and probably not much good for healthy dogs, either  <_<

As I said - my priority is an organic, additive free diet that he enjoys - at the moment, his complete kibble is the only way I can acheive this  :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline amanda

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2005, 10:32:59 PM »
I know I started this topic but it was never my intention to start any arguments, I am new to all this and didn't realise what a controversal issue it was (niave of me probably). I apologise if I offended anyone Lisa xxxxx
[snapback]156419[/snapback]
Aww Lisa, you don't need to apologise, as you said in your original post on this thread, one of the main reasons you posted was to swap recipe idea's which is a good idea, and Penel is great with this.
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline Gini

• Site Member
    • http://
Barf
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2005, 07:55:32 AM »
Food studies are done by multi million pound companies who make kibble - suppliers of raw meat cannot compete with that sort of thing.  What is there to prove anyway - raw meat doesn't have any additives - its that simple.
[snapback]156089[/snapback]

Sounds just like the washable nappy/ disposable nappy debate! Those good old multi million pound companies.

No, I'm not starting another thread!

After using disposables on a holiday, I remember my daughter being relieved to get home so she could wear a comfy nappy. I wonder if our poochies feel like that when we've been away and travelled light.

Moltex Oko and Tushies are the JWB and Burns of the nappy world. Convenience without the additives. Not that I'm a nappy geek or anything. My son was partial to raw silk nappy liners though!

Ahh, so this could be a new thread. How many Barfers have or would use washable REAL nappies on their babies? Only joking.

Offline Gini

• Site Member
    • http://
Barf
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2005, 08:23:49 AM »
  I don't see the point in feeding cheap-cuts of meat and budget brands when the quality of product in his kibble is better   

[snapback]156120[/snapback]

I too have thought of this, as I only eat organic meat but cannot afford this for Willow.

When you say the quality in the kibble is better, is this in all kibble or do you feed organic kibble?

I can feel kibble geek coming on just like nappy geek!

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Barf
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2005, 09:13:36 AM »
Hi Sarah,
I am lucky enough to know a kind organic butcher that gives me a huge bag of chicken carcasses, lamb ribs, and pork bones every week - so my dogs are mainly fed on organic raw meaty bones.  However the tripe I get is from AMP so that isn't organic.
I think organic is ideal - same as it is with us humans - but if you can't get organic, then the pet meats you can buy frozen are the next option.  They may well have "chemicals" in them if the animals have not been organically raised, but at least they don't have colourings, preservatives, and other such additives in them.  :)
Have you asked on Britbarf if anyone knows of an organic supplier near to you ?
[snapback]156493[/snapback]

But Burns doesn't have chemicals or coulors in it either, neither does naturediet.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)