Author Topic: Chloe is turning into a chunky monkey!! u/d lost half a kilo!  (Read 5019 times)

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
Re: Chloe is turning into a chunky monkey!!
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2009, 04:30:29 PM »
Does she like raw carrot? I use them as treats for Molly a lot of the time  :D
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »
Does she like raw carrot? I use them as treats for Molly a lot of the time  :D

Yes, she loves raw carrot Lorna, but again, I have the same problem that she won't chew it when offered during training, I need something soft. I guess roast chicken is less calorific than sausages....what about livercake? I give her that too, (though she's not mad keen) is that less calorific do you think? Or tuna bread? (Haven't tried that yet  :shades:)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2009, 04:37:24 PM »
If it's homemade I guess you can tailor it to make it less cals  :huh: Ostrich is incredibly low cal/fat but perhaps a bit too difficult/pricey for dog treats  :005: (I'd prob scoff it myself  :lol: )
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2009, 04:43:53 PM »
if you're cutting down her food Sue you may have no need to stop her training treats - try that first, tis amazing how quickly just feeding a little less can have an effect on a dog  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 05:07:43 PM »
Chloe looks fine - once dogs have been spayed they do fill out a bit.  When Misha was spayed, my vet told me to half her daily food allowance.  So glad that I did as she has put on a kilo on just half her daily allowance since Feb.  Though I do think that there is quite a bit of muscle from agility which has contributed.

I agree.  My dog trainer told me once that there is no need for any dog to put on weight after a spay.  Their metabolism slows down and so they need less food.  I have never measured food though.  Just watched Kali and adjusted the amount as and when.  It is not a problem I have with Lyla who is raw fed but I constantly watch Kali and her waistline. ::)
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 05:40:16 PM »
Tuna bread is good cos you can use tuna in spring water and just a small spoonful of oil to make it, or plain skinless chicken is low cal too, or bits of cut up apple which are softer than carrots. Tilly tends to put on weight easily but I agree with Helen in that I can usually keep her weight stable by just adjusting her dry food a bit and that means she can still have treats (within reason!).
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 05:41:01 PM »
Hmmmm if you need the training treats then maybe cut down on her food but bulk out with cooked veg so she isn't hungry. Just an idea  :D

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 05:57:03 PM »
Hmmm it can be so hard to tell and keep on top of their weight cant it  :huh:

I nearly put Jack on a diet in the summer but luckily for him it rained and I saw how thin he was under all that fluff  ph34r

He is so fluffy he can look really chunky but there is not an once of fat on him and hes actually got a very defined waist and I can feel his ribs easily, hes perfect  :luv: :luv:

We have been trying to get Amber to put on weight for 5mths with limited success but recently has started pilling on the pounds because shes not as nervous and I think she has put on a bit too much-typical  ::)

she could do with losing a little but shes so tiny anyways and I cant help comparing her to Brie (who anything would look fat next to) so its hard to tell  :-\

Flynns just fat  ph34r no excuses, the plain truth is he gets too many treats and is spoiled :embarassed: :embarassed: ph34r

I know its bad for him but I just cant resist his little face  ph34r hes the only dog I struggle with putting on a diet or keeping weight down with  :embarassed: :embarassed:

I dont feed him human stuff but he does get a fair few treats when out, or for going in his crate,or to the loo outside a lot of things really  :embarassed:

Must stop it  :police:

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 06:14:39 PM »
Hmmmm if you need the training treats then maybe cut down on her food but bulk out with cooked veg so she isn't hungry. Just an idea  :D

The only time she's had cooked veg she threw up (mind you it was brocilli and potatoes with a bit of gravy, and someone told me brocolli is dificult for dogs to digest.) I am wondering about raw veg....that might work I guess....I could pulverise it in the food processor  :005:

And yes, she definitely still needs training treats.....I still haven't mastered the art of getting her to sit still to have her pic taken  :005: :005:

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 06:18:30 PM »
Oh I've just had a brainwave  :shades: I could pulverise raw veg and give bits of that as training treats  :D Do you think she would recall to a bit of pulverised veg instead of cocktail sausages  :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm gonna give it a go anyway  :D

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2009, 06:22:14 PM »
Tuna bread is good cos you can use tuna in spring water

Can't get tuna in spring water up here  >:D >:D I feed tuna in yogurt frozen in her Kong sometimes, and I wash all the brine, or tomato sauce off before I use it. My pals think I'm bonkers  :005:

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2009, 06:31:03 PM »
Tuna bread is good cos you can use tuna in spring water

Can't get tuna in spring water up here  >:D >:D I feed tuna in yogurt frozen in her Kong sometimes, and I wash all the brine, or tomato sauce off before I use it. My pals think I'm bonkers  :005:

We could send you some in an emergency parcel :lol2:  The brine stuff's just the same if you bung it in a sieve and run the tap over it for a while, I've done that before when OH bought a 6-tin pack of the wrong kind ::) :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2009, 09:15:19 PM »
can you use a tennis ball/ toy as a reward rather than food?  and also if you are using treats like I am with cora Im taking it out of her daily food allowance. sometimes she has very little in her bowl as shes worked for the rest during the day.
 shes lost 2 1/2 kgs in 2 months,. thats 5.5 lbs!!

Offline mcphee

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2009, 07:12:58 AM »
Gosh Sue, lots of advice to consider since I last checked in. I do not use training treats with Rufus as Cruella feels my priase should be enough. So he only gets a small piece of liver stick after an agility run on a saturday. I also reduced the dry food and cutting out the green stick, replacing it with a small raw lamb bown once or twice a week. However, as someone else said, just a few days of slightly less exercise and a few treats and the difference is noticeable. And try plain white fish- good protein no fat and Rufus really loves it. Good luck and try not to worry about her she is such a beautiful girl.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2009, 07:06:10 PM »
Oh I've just had a brainwave  :shades: I could pulverise raw veg and give bits of that as training treats  :D Do you think she would recall to a bit of pulverised veg instead of cocktail sausages  :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm gonna give it a go anyway  :D

Did it work?
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.