Author Topic: Sweep Did His 1st Agility Show, Wat ...........  (Read 841 times)

Offline xxkatensweepxx

• Site Member
    • http://
Sweep Did His 1st Agility Show, Wat ...........
« on: June 19, 2005, 07:48:00 PM »
wat were otha ppls like?
he probably got eliminated bless, but he tried his best despite the heat
and had to go against border collies, not exactly easy.
how did other agility cockers first shows go?
id love to know, if there are any here
kate n sweep - who was 2 today!

The more i meet people, the more i like my dog.

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 07:55:07 AM »
Ellie's first show - she went up to the judge, pole pickers, anyone who was anywhere near the ring and did a beautiful sit and waited for her treat and her cuddle!!!  (She gets quite spoilt up at club!!)

Our second run we were both all over the place and think we went to about 3 shows before we could do a run without being eliminated.  Then when we did go clear we won the class :D

But we still have days when she feels that sniffing and smells somewhere else are so much more attractive or there is a person stood too close to the ring with a lovely smelly burger.

Your first show is always the hardest - you're nervous, the dog senses it, everything is new and different and oh so exciting.

But keep going - everyone has been there and whatever happens remember - you will not be the first and never the last that this happens to.

To date I have fallen over the tunnel , done the long jump instead of the dog, tried to coax Ellie off the A Frame when there is a lovely smell she has caught right at the top, finished the course without a dog(disappeared to find something better!!!... and the stories continue.

As long as you both enjoy it, enjoy spending the time working together you will form a good partnership and it does all come together!!!

Believe me - your first clear round is the best feeling in the world!!

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline Becky

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 08:31:09 PM »
Showing/competition is a long way off for us, but these scenarios sound highly likely.  We had our 1st off-lead go last week, where Danny (boy) did one of his girly squatting wees half way round, Ollie wouldn't go in the tunnel, simply coz it was quicker to go round, ans so on and so on. Good fun though.  Good luck at your next Show Kate and Sweep.
Love Becky, Danny and Ollie!

Offline xxkatensweepxx

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 05:52:54 PM »
Ellie's first show - she went up to the judge, pole pickers, anyone who was anywhere near the ring and did a beautiful sit and waited for her treat and her cuddle!!!  (She gets quite spoilt up at club!!)

Our second run we were both all over the place and think we went to about 3 shows before we could do a run without being eliminated.  Then when we did go clear we won the class :D

But we still have days when she feels that sniffing and smells somewhere else are so much more attractive or there is a person stood too close to the ring with a lovely smelly burger.

Your first show is always the hardest - you're nervous, the dog senses it, everything is new and different and oh so exciting.

But keep going - everyone has been there and whatever happens remember - you will not be the first and never the last that this happens to.

To date I have fallen over the tunnel , done the long jump instead of the dog, tried to coax Ellie off the A Frame when there is a lovely smell she has caught right at the top, finished the course without a dog(disappeared to find something better!!!... and the stories continue.

As long as you both enjoy it, enjoy spending the time working together you will form a good partnership and it does all come together!!!

Believe me - your first clear round is the best feeling in the world!!
[snapback]132926[/snapback]

thanks ill remember all your advice
he loved the day out anyway
and we'll try again next time
good luck with your future!
kate n sweep

Offline xxkatensweepxx

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 05:54:32 PM »
Showing/competition is a long way off for us, but these scenarios sound highly likely.  We had our 1st off-lead go last week, where Danny (boy) did one of his girly squatting wees half way round, Ollie wouldn't go in the tunnel, simply coz it was quicker to go round, ans so on and so on. Good fun though.  Good luck at your next Show Kate and Sweep.
[snapback]133180[/snapback]

awwww im sure u will do well
sweep is not exactly 100% reliable off lead
but im sure they will soon love agility as much as mine
good luck!
kate n sweep

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 06:18:40 PM »
You just have to remember that it can only get better as you go to more shows.
It is similar first time for everyone irrelevant of the dog they run, I run (get made to run) my collie. At my first show I wasn't at all nervous because I had no idea what to expect. In the beginning for about a year (Aug 03 to 04) Sammy was very steady and was getting clear round after clear round but he was never fast enough to get a place. I worked mostly on motivation over the winter and this year alone, we've been to three shows, won out of elementary three times and had a 7th in novice so I'm hoping that we'll qualify out of starters soon  :D .

BTW Kate, is that picture on your clubs site you, with Sweep on the see saw?
Cayley.

Offline xxkatensweepxx

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2005, 08:06:53 PM »
You just have to remember that it can only get better as you go to more shows.
It is similar first time for everyone irrelevant of the dog they run, I run (get made to run) my collie. At my first show I wasn't at all nervous because I had no idea what to expect. In the beginning for about a year (Aug 03 to 04) Sammy was very steady and was getting clear round after clear round but he was never fast enough to get a place. I worked mostly on motivation over the winter and this year alone, we've been to three shows, won out of elementary three times and had a 7th in novice so I'm hoping that we'll qualify out of starters soon  :D .

BTW Kate, is that picture on your clubs site you, with Sweep on the see saw?
[snapback]133694[/snapback]

Yes it is when he was first learning it
he has had his ups and downs with the see-saw
but he did it fine at the show much to my relief
i can't get on our clubs website anymore
thanks for your advice