Author Topic: Fish  (Read 1516 times)

Offline Louis

• Site Member
Fish
« on: July 12, 2005, 09:05:51 AM »
Hi everyone

Not been on for ages, been on holiday, and just started a new job so been a bit hectic <_<  Louis really loves fish and i just wondered if there are any do's and dont's as to what type of fish i can give hime and how much :)  I think he would have it for every meal if he could.  I normally give him salmon once a week, and sometimes tuna or sardines.  The sardines are in lightly salted water and the tuna is in brine.  The salmon is fresh and just cooked in the oven.  Is this ok?
Do anybody elses cockers have fish??

BFN

Gemma&Louis

Offline PennyB

Fish
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 09:36:16 AM »
Yes but only every so often as I don't want to give too much protein (they're on Burns which is fine and its a complete diet anyway).

I tend to give them the fish in oil rather than in salt as its adds too much salt to their diet otherwise
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Fish
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 11:11:32 AM »
I tend to give them the fish in oil rather than in salt as its adds too much salt to their diet otherwise
[snapback]136183[/snapback]

I give Tilly tuna in spring water for the same reason.  She loves fish and has some about once a week, just a little bit though as she, too, is on a complete food and I don't like to mess about with the balance too much.  She particularly likes the Salmon and Rice flavour complete food that Arden Grange have brought out.

As a very special treat she has a piece of dried fish (Burns do it, I think).  She would sell her granny for this  :lol:  :ph34r: .  If you want to try it though, take care because it smells awful, seriously bad.  I have to keep it in a sealed tin so the smell doesn't take over the house  :lol:  :rolleyes: .

Sue and Tilly

Offline PennyB

Fish
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 11:21:38 AM »
[snapback]136183[/snapback]

I give Tilly tuna in spring water for the same reason.  She loves fish and has some about once a week, just a little bit though as she, too, is on a complete food and I don't like to mess about with the balance too much.  She particularly likes the Salmon and Rice flavour complete food that Arden Grange have brought out.

As a very special treat she has a piece of dried fish (Burns do it, I think).  She would sell her granny for this  :lol:  :ph34r: .  If you want to try it though, take care because it smells awful, seriously bad.  I have to keep it in a sealed tin so the smell doesn't take over the house  :lol:  :rolleyes: .

Sue and Tilly
[snapback]136203[/snapback]

I too don't like to mess about with the balance which is why mine get fish occasionally.

Know what you mean about the dried fish from Burns it stinks to high heaven
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Bob's mum

• Site Member
    • http://
Fish
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 01:06:16 PM »
Bob loves a bit of fish too and it seems the smellier the better. We occasionally add tuna or sardines to his JWB. The really noticeable thing is that his coat really shines the day after he has fish. I have heard that the omega3 oils are great for coat condition-don't know how true this is. :D
[size=8]Jo[/size][/font]xxxx

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
Fish
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 01:12:42 PM »
I don't give tuna or sardines at all, as i consider them too salty for my dogs. Some times they get fresh fish ( whenever I have some, I usually by enough to give for my dogs too).
Every now and then  I by my dogs Purina Pro Plan Salmon&Rice complete dried food, instead of the normal dried food they eat. It makes their coats grow rapidly and they seem to love it, although I think it smells somewhat horrendous  :ph34r: ( well just think of dried fish and you'll get the picture  :D )
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline sarahb2206

• Site Member
Fish
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 01:26:39 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  A lady at puppy training takes dried fish as the treat she uses - her dog goes crazy for it!!!!  (and - yes - it pongs to high heaven!!!!)  :lol:  :lol:
Sarah and Bramble XX

Offline Mo

• Site Member
Fish
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 01:35:52 PM »
Don't talk to me about fish.  Joey rolled in the most rotten, mankiest fish ever leaving loads of smelly scales in his fur  :o

Offline Louis

• Site Member
Fish
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 02:01:50 PM »
Thanks for your replies, i did wonder about the sal content.  I will buy tuna in spring water and sardines in oil in future and just stick to one portion of fish per week as a treat :D  Louis usually has nature diet for tea and he seems happy with this.  I have stopped giving himhis JWB biscuits in the morning as he has started to leave them :(  He musn't be hungry, maybe one meal at tea time is enough for him now?

Gemma&Louis

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Fish
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 02:18:55 PM »
I've only ever given Lottie tuna but that was very infrequently.

I must say that of the dried food she has had her favourite is most definately the fish one from Burns ;)
Mary & Lottie x

Offline pop

• Site Member
Fish
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 03:52:24 PM »
I give Lulu mackerel in sunflower oil about twice a week.  She absolutely adores it :D
We have tried pilchards and sardines but she gets the most awful squits. :blink:

Pop and Lulu longleggy [who is fast asleep at the moment...she's had a very busy day and she'll be out bbqing later on].
xxx

Penel

Fish
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 05:53:40 PM »
Mine get tuna, sardines, or pilchards about once a week - and I don't worry about the balance at all !!!  on a raw diet they get a very varied menu !  :lol:

Offline Lynne1

• Site Member
Fish
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 09:17:32 AM »
As a keen fisherman fishing at least once a week Cal&Roz,my two cockers love trout. From the minute I come home the fish have to be cleaned and cooked right away, they sit in front of the oven until ready. Absolutely adore it.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Fish
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 10:02:12 AM »
As a keen fisherman fishing at least once a week Cal&Roz,my two cockers love trout. From the minute I come home the fish have to be cleaned and cooked right away, they sit in front of the oven until ready. Absolutely adore it.
[snapback]136377[/snapback]

Alfie adores trout :) Although I dont cook it for him as he just gets the trimmings as I fillet them
Caroline and Alfie