Author Topic: hot dog  (Read 1626 times)

Offline ellehcim

• Site Member
hot dog
« on: August 04, 2004, 04:42:59 PM »
does anyone have any ideas to keep dogs cool in this hot hot weather ?

i have made sure he has plenty of water and a wet towel to lie on, but has anybody any better suggestions.

Michelle and a very hot Ben :x                    
1st time cocker owner

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
hot dog
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 05:31:42 PM »
Indie loves ice cubes to crunch, and I spray him with iced water in a plant spray.
He's still miserable though.                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Becky

• Site Member
    • http://
hot dog
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 06:35:46 PM »
We took Dan on holiday to France last Aygust during the heat wave.  We bought him a paddling pool, which he loved.  Mind you, he loves water.  This may not be very practical though, at home, but we're going to get him one for over here too . 8)                    
Love Becky, Danny and Ollie!

Offline Louie

• Limited Member
    • http://www.dreamistcockerspaniels.co.uk
hot dog
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 06:37:49 PM »
Hi, what about an electric fan, i used one of these last year when it was really warm on Emma,s pups who got very warm when in the whelping box, they loved it and curled up underneath, just had to keep checking them to make sure that they didn,t get to cool, but they crawed out of the way into a warmer spot when they had cooled down  :) .                    

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
hot dog
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 09:04:50 PM »
This may help  :wink: -

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/forum/viewt...?t=4920&start=0

I have recently purchased a cage/crate fan and it’s excellent - thnx 4 recommending Michele  :D :wink:                    

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
hot dog
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 12:25:28 PM »
I've been making yogurt ice-cubes, my lot love them!                    

Offline PennyB

hot dog
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 08:53:07 PM »
I took my two out in the middle of the day today (no not bad mother alert!) and while it was extremely hot out there it was so lovely and cooling walking by the river (we live about 300m from the Taff). So they went for a dip straight off and then the water cooled them off for the rest for the walk through the woods and then another dip in the river later on. Considering it was so hot they came back quite refreshed.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
hot dog
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 09:15:49 AM »
I think it depends on were you live and walk.     Taking a dog out in the heat of the day, with nowhere to cool off is not a good idea.   :?  Like humans they can get bad tempered in the heat.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline PennyB

hot dog
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 10:33:18 AM »
I think it depends on were you live and walk.     Taking a dog out in the heat of the day, with nowhere to cool off is not a good idea.   :?  Like humans they can get bad tempered in the heat.

Wasn't advocating it for everyone but while I'm lucky I live close by others bring there dogs up here or further down in their cars. I was surprised how cool it was to be honest. Any woodland or river area is ideal for dogs when its hot and if its woodland without any access to the river then I always take water with me anyway. If I didn't live near here then may be I'd be stuck as I don't have a car but its not difficult to get somewhere cool if you do (and a great adventure in to the bargain).                    
Friends of Hailey Park

• Site Member
hot dog
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 10:44:22 AM »
I agree Penny walking along a river bank and in shade is ideal, the dogs love it.  :D  But there are people, who don't seem to realise that, too much sun and heat, is just as dangerous for dogs, as it is for humans.   Nell is a minx for sitting out in the sun, she would stay out there all day, if we let her,  were fed up moving her out of it!  she's a real sun worshipper.   :roll:  :wink:  :lol:                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline PennyB

hot dog
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2004, 11:03:31 AM »
Which was why I was advocating the benefits of walkng by a river or in woodland rather than sitting there thinking there's nothing to do with your dog when its hot. The main bit of the park, which was in full sun was completely empty of dogs so obviously others were aware it wasn't an area to walk in. Mine would mope around the house all day but its not the heat that's bothering them they just want to go out for a walk (mind you they love horizontal rain much better!)                    
Friends of Hailey Park

• Site Member
hot dog
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2004, 12:22:33 PM »
Grrr!! going back to the heat topic,  Ive just come back from shopping, and saw a man riding his bike and a dog running along side  it,  in full sun.   The poor thing looked shattered.  :(
Then further along, a dog with his head out of the window, don't they realise the damage that can be done to a dogs eyes.  :?                    

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
hot dog
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2004, 01:17:13 PM »
I didn't take mine out yesterday, it was just TOOOOO HOT for them, especially Bess, & she's got a sore paw at the moment too, so no walks for her for a few days.  I'm going to have to take Dillon out sometime today though, he's climbing the walls. There's quite a strong breeze here today, but it's a HOT breeze, I hope it cools down later.                    

Offline PennyB

hot dog
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2004, 01:37:17 PM »
Then further along, a dog with his head out of the window, don't they realise the damage that can be done to a dogs eyes.  :?

That always worries me especially if they've got the window right down. I'd be worried the dog might jump out.

We've just been out for a lovely walk in the pouring rain LOL                    
Friends of Hailey Park

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
hot dog
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 08:19:45 PM »
We had a day in the lake district today and it was extremely hot :roll:   We made sure we walked in woodland areas only and Indie had a lovely time splashing in lake windermere with the girls 8)   I must say, everyone with dogs seemed to be quite sensible and were staying out of direct sun :)  

Indie had a nice cool lolly ice on the journey home too 8)