Author Topic: dog behaviour  (Read 910 times)

Offline Pauline@bolton

• Site Member
dog behaviour
« on: July 03, 2004, 07:07:58 PM »
Hi everyone.

I am having trouble with my dog Molly (who is nearly 2). When she was about six months old she was attcked by a staffie. Although it didnt hurt her if frightend her. Now ever since that, all she seems to do is bark and growl at other dogs no matter what breed or size.

I would really like her to overcome this. And would be grateful if anyone had any suggetions.

From Pauline and Molly in Bolton.                    

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
dog behaviour
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 10:13:08 PM »
Hello Pauline and Molly, Welcome to COL :D

There is no quick fix solution to your problem with Molly regarding her growling and barking. It sounds like fear aggression, her bad experience with the staffie at such a young age as left her defensive and scared.

I had a similar problem with my 2 and a half year old also called Molly, when she was 12 weeks old a border collie ran up to her at  the park ( she was on her lead ) it barked and tried to nip her and she has never forgot it. For many months after she would bark at all dogs that looked like a collie ( small ones she was fine with ) What I did was ring my friend who has 2 border collie's and asked if we could spend some time with them almost to de-sensitize the fear. This worked quite well, also every time we saw another dog I would put her on the lead, distract her and give her a lovely treat if she didnt bark.

It does take time ,even now she is quite worried when she see's a biggish dog but she looks to me for her treat, that's more important to her!! :wink:

You could also try a training class, where she would meet many dogs, or perhaps just go on the ringcraft night to sit and watch just so she can see other dogs.

Sometimes depending on the severity of the fear a one to one training session might be benefical, it's something to think about, hope this helps.

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
dog behaviour
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 10:15:41 PM »
Hi Pauline and Molly
I'd agree with Lizzy's excellent advice.   :D
The same thing happened to me years ago when my black cocker was taken on her first walk we encountered a staffie who ran out of a driveway and barked aggressively and scared her to death.  We did overcome it with a lot of encouragement but she always acted strangely when we walked past that driveway (she never forgot the incident I don't think).  
Best of luck                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!