Author Topic: Disgusting Behaviour ... (not for the faint hearted)  (Read 1799 times)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Disgusting Behaviour ... (not for the faint hearted)
« on: July 13, 2004, 08:54:29 PM »
.. or those just about to eat.. !!  :twisted:

OK - some of you may have remembered my post in the puppies section about being told that Jenni was a little porker and I ought to cut her meals down by the vet, the result was that she was always on the lookout for scraps / begging and also had taken to eating poo  in the back garden - yuck!

Anyway, I upped her food a little and she's now on once a day for her main biscuit (Nutro) supplemented by some Milky bones for breakfast and as treats as and when.

Now the thing is that she has quite obviously gotten the taste for number 2's - we caught her yesterday with her nose practically up Millie's bum as Millie was, albeit rather indignitally!, trying to go through her motions in the garden!!  To say the least Jenni was told NO!! :lol: :oops: :oops:
Whilst I know I should clear up after them ASAP - I think that clearing it up as it's coming out is a little extreme!!  :shock:  :shock:  :oops:

Now recently she has also started to 'mount' Millie - so I wondered if this and the poo scoffing were some kind of dominance thing?  :?
My trainer thinks that Jenni will probably end up being 'top dog' but at the moment she is still to young to 'apply' for the post.

Any thoughts, comments, advice on how to stop this (lord knows how many times it's happened and we just haven't caught her at it!) greatly appreciated ..

Kel

PS - a little advanced warning for those of you who may have been looking for cocker kisses on Sunday!  :lol: although I will have cleaned her teeth ;)                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 09:10:34 PM »
:lol:  :lol: Sorry Kelly but a sausage maker machine sprang to mind then :lol:  :lol:

Can't help you on the dominance issue but I can say that Jenni may grow out of the poo eating business.  Lottie had always been a greedy dog, always looking for any sorce of food, poo included (only her own though :shock: ):oops:  I noticed she didn't always eat it though, it was more often than not after her meal :?   Anyway, I'm happy to say that she does seem to have grown out of it :D   She's still a greedy guts but she now sniffs and turns her nose up at this less than pleasant dessert!! :lol:

PS...Lottie has only grown out of it in the past 6 months and she's coming up to 2 :?                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline shaz

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 09:14:41 PM »
all this sound very familiar,  my harley ( dog) is almost 5months old flo ( bitch) is 13 months and mellow( bitch) is 3 . recently harley has been caught eating the poo of the others so i have to be bag at the ready, he also tries to hump the other two , and the other two especially mellow try to hump him, and they also lick his wincky woo.and he lays there legs apart and lets thm do it , i must add he loves it, now i have put it down to a pack thing and a dominance thing, i have not worried about it too much just keep an eye on the situation they will figure out who is the boss themselves but i thinck it will be harley when he is fully grown, he has a much stronger character .                    
sharon  mellow,  harley , shayla and havana.
please visit my new web site
www.evanavacockerspaniels.moonfruit.com

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2004, 09:19:52 PM »
Try adding some crushed pineapple to her food (a spoonfull/day should do the trick). It usually helps  :D .                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline shaz

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 09:25:27 PM »
errr.... i know i am propally a bit dim but what is the crushed pineapple going to do.                    
sharon  mellow,  harley , shayla and havana.
please visit my new web site
www.evanavacockerspaniels.moonfruit.com

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 09:28:33 PM »
errr.... i know i am propally a bit dim but what is the crushed pineapple going to do.

It stops the poo-eating. Don't ask me how (  for I have absolutely no idea :lol: ), all I know is that it works.                    
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 09:34:38 PM »
The pineapple is meant to give the poo a nasty taste and this should deter them from eating it. Doesn't always work but worth a try.  Obviously you would have to give it to Millie if its her poo that Jenni's eating.  You have my sympathy -Brook did it once and promptly wanted kisses....made me gag so it did :lol:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 10:12:00 PM »
Does this work if our Doggy dustbins actually eat  pineapple normally?                    
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 10:14:53 PM »
Pineapple never worked for my two because they will eat absolutely anything.

Some do say that poo eating can be a deficiency in something and thus diet related, what I can't remember but as mine are on Burns then surely that can't be the case either.

I think you have to face it that they can be disgusting little so and so's and that's it sometimes LOL

The humping can be dominant behaviour though.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 09:24:36 AM »
Maybe try letting them out separately, so you get chance to clean up after Millie? I always let Daisy out on her own, as if Jazz is there too, when I say "do wees", Daisy will just play instead, she's so easiy distracted - it's the only way I can guarantee she empties herself!! :lol:                    

Offline chrisfund

• Site Member
    • http://cocker.natoo.net
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 11:14:34 AM »
Hello,

how about the following one?

Deter Treatment for dogs

Deter is a coprophagia treatment for dogs. Stops dogs and puppies from consuming their own feces. Safe and effective easy-to-feed chewable tablets

Here is the link.

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/de...ductID=186&AS=1[/url]                    
ChangBin(Chris)

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2004, 03:12:11 PM »
I'm sorry I have no answers to your problem, but it made me laugh so much, I can just imagine Jenni at the ready!! :lol:  :lol:

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 05:27:40 PM »
I used Deter with Molly and it worked a treat, although I find the concept of "making the dogs poo taste bad" quite hilarious - what could possibly taste worse than dog poo?
 :shock:

Tracey & non-poo eating Molly                    
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2004, 06:24:12 PM »
although I find the concept of \"making the dogs poo taste bad\" quite hilarious - what could possibly taste worse than dog poo?  

That thought did occur to me when writing it but i just hoped no-one would pick up on it :wink:  :lol:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2004, 10:40:43 PM »
I have just come to accept that as vile as it is, Candy just eats her own poo.    :roll:  

She is two next week and so far shows no sign of giving up this nasty habit.  I have tried the Deter pills and the pineapple chunks thing with her and still no joy.   :?  Thankfully she doesn't seem to suffer any ill effects from it - she's a nice size and has a wonderful glossy coat.   :)  I'd prefer it if she didn't do it as it can make her breath smell something terrible but I am grateful that she only eats her own and no other dog's!! :wink:                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx