Author Topic: Are boys bigger sooks than girls?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline winewood

• Donator
  • Now in Italy
Are boys bigger sooks than girls?
« on: June 19, 2006, 02:15:10 PM »
Have two problems one I just posted on health with Kody and this one here regarding him being such a needy boy he crys with joy when he sees me after being at work he crys at dinner time he crys and whimpers anytime :lol: Being our second dog does not spend much time on his own, seems ok when left in the car, hates being left in the crate, doe'nt like being left in the laundry on his own does'nt mind being left outside though I think he does cry,  but I'm not there to know and I usually find him asleep when I return.  I do try to leave him occasionaly like tonight I took Indi to her obed class left him at home with my son, he said he cryed in the laundry and eventualy got out so he let him stay with him in the studio (yes spoiled). Yesterday we went tracking, while Indi was tracking he howls and jumped around the car like a lunatic yet if I take him Mon night classes he is fine in the car while she has her lesson mind you this means he has had his lesson and now tired, are boys just big whimps or have I without knowing created a monster sook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  or is this usual with 2.
Owned and trained by two mad cockers

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Are boys bigger sooks than girls?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 02:57:15 PM »
I've only got Alfie so I don't know about having two making a difference but I do know that Alfie is certainly the sookiest dog I've ever had! He's not much of a cryer/whimperer except when I get home from work (he goes to work with OH during the day) and I get the welcome home yelps of excitement but he's very, very cuddly and he's the master of the "woe is me" cocker eyes. If I'm on the sofa at night he lies on my chest and wraps his paws around my neck so I'm basically wearing him like a scarf. I swear those paws have suckers on them, he's like a limpet!

He's very good if we have to leave him at home for a while, he's got his bed in the kitchen and all his toys; we've videoed him on a webcam a couple of times and he just sleeps the whole time! He certainly hates being left out of anything if we're at home though... if we're upstairs then he's upstairs and if I'm in the shower he sits on the bathroom floor waiting for me to get out (then tries to lick the water off me  :P ) .. My two previous dogs were both girls and while they were lovely dogs and they definitely loved me they didn't quite reach the same levels of sookiness that Alfie does  :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 03:15:45 PM »
Wilf is, and Ruby's more independent minded
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 03:20:41 PM »
Tee hee - yep - boys are BIG sooks!!  :lol:

Max is SUCH a sook - he's a real limpet dog!!  :luv:

Follows us everywhere, loves cuddles, always wanting to be picked up, often climbs onto my lap for a kip, loves snuggling on the sofa, etc etc etc!! (Way more than any other dog I've ever known - although my childhood dog loved me to bits, she was MUCH less clingy & more independent - she was a beautiful collie/alsatian cross - looked like Lassie but with lots of dark patches - stunning!!)  I love it though - he's sooooooooooooo snuggly & gorgeous!!  :luv: ;) :luv:

He's finally ok with being left on his own - up to 4 hours or so now (what a long hard road that's been - he's a year old now)  - has the run of the house & seems fine, but goes MENTAL when we come home - howls, cries, yelps, barks, whimpers, the lot!! Having said that, he's pretty excited when I've only been out 5 mins to the garage or something!! We've webcammed him too & he just sleeps when we're out but he's not entirely relaxed - there's a lot of up & down to the window to see if we're coming, but he seems calm enough & he's quiet etc which is a MASSIVE step forward, considering last summer when I was a prisoner in the house!!  ph34r

He really is a people dog - he still whimpers & moans a bit every now & then if one of us nips out - even if the other person is still home - he'll lie by the door or stand on the sofa looking out of the window, waiting, with his little bum waggling, letting out a pathetic little whimper every so often!!  :005: He knows when hubby is due home from work & paces up & down & waits by the door or looks out of the window, then goes INSANE when he gets in - slightly insulting considering I work from home & I've usually been with him most of the day, but I don't hold it against him!!  :005: :luv: :005:

He hates it if hubby & I are in separate rooms etc too - doesn't know what to do or where to go - spends his time going back & forth between us!!  ::) And he's FINALLY stopped lying by the toilet door & crying as if we've escaped through some secret back door & left him forever!!!!!!!!!!!!  :005: :005: :005: 

All in all, I'd say a HUGE SOOK but we LOVE IT!!!!!!!  :005: :005: :005:

from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline Lumi

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 03:43:39 PM »
Our Dylan is a right little woosie sometimes with his whingeing, bless him. It does make me laugh.
I had 3 yorkie girls when I was younger and when two of them passed away we got a boy and he was a woosie too so I'm thinking it's a gender thing.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 03:52:59 PM »

He hates it if hubby & I are in separate rooms etc too - doesn't know what to do or where to go - spends his time going back & forth between us!!  ::)

Awww, I forgot about that, Alfie does that too. If I'm in the kitchen and OH is in the living room (as usual  >:( ) he gets really confused and keeps trotting from one room to the other just to check that we're both still there and it's worse when one of us is upstairs. We keep the living room door closed so he doesn't keep thundering up and down the stairs so he just sits staring at the door and letting out the odd little whine until whichever one of us it is reappears. Bless him  ::)  :luv:

I was out in the front garden watering the plants the other day and OH was in the kitchen with Alfie when suddenly Alfie appeared next to me in the garden wagging his tail frantically - he'd caught sight of me out front and before OH could stop him he'd jumped onto the window sill in the living room and climbed of the window into the garden  :o  Thank god it's not a very big drop at all so he was fine although my poor plants weren't quite so lucky where he landed...  ::)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 03:55:25 PM »
I have one girl and two boys.  My girl came first, so when I got my first boy is was a real shock how much of a big baby he was. I've just got my second boy who is also a big baby!  :005:

What I have found though is that the boys are much more affectionate than my girl. She likes to give "kisses" but thats it. The boys want cuddles all the time!  :luv: Which is fine by me.  :luv:  :005:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 04:37:00 PM »
Paddy is my first dog ever, but he's a right soppy little love - although the insistence on sitting on my lap when I went to the loo was a bit much: he now only insists on being in the bathroom with me :005:

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 05:16:03 PM »
The first thing anyone says when they meet Melody for the first time is what a sook she is  :lol:  She often comes over to me just for cuddles  :luv:

I don't have any boy dogs to compare her with but my two sons (age 3 & 6) are big sooks too  :005:
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 05:36:35 PM »
The bitch we had was much more independent although she was a rescue dog & so you would think she would be more clingy than the males whom we have all had as puppies!!

Spike went to the vet last week for his lepto. jab & what a fuss he made!! ph34r He cried & cried & this was in the waiting room before he had actually gone in to see my vet whom he knows extremely well & who always makes a tremendous fuss of the dogs!!
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 06:38:17 PM »
Pepsi is definately more independant that Woody. He also doesn't know what to do with himself if we are all in different rooms  :005:If one os us goes out he cries for about 20 minutes and it's even worse if we take Pepsi out and leave him behind even though he's with one of us! He also used to cry like a banshee and run behind my legs if another dog bounded up to him but he is getting better now  ::) When you rub his ears and fuss him he closes his eyes and his lips kind of come back like he's smiling and feels likes he's in heaven  :luv:

Offline sharesy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 09:47:17 PM »
Kallis a real sook, she drives hubby mad because she cries after me all the time  >:(.  I hate having a bath now, shes stand with her paws on the side of the bath looking at me, wingeing until I get out. I think its out of sight out of mind though, shes fine if I'm not in. ::)

Offline allym

• Site Member
  • Grrrrrrrrr!
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 10:28:30 PM »
Henry's a sook too! He is always just desperate to be with me; he follows me from room to room, even if he's been sleeping he'll wake up as soon as I move and follow me... Bless!  He's also always keen for cuddles and likes to curl up on my feet.  If I go upstairs (he's not allowed up - horrible mummy!) he'll wait patiently at at the bottom for me to come back down.  Although,  he doesn't do the same for OH (smug? Me? Never!)
Ally and Henry the Hound xx

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 12:52:31 AM »
I've often wondered if this is a gender thing, or 'second-dog syndrome'.  Molly is pretty independent, never really settles until late evening as she has to be wandering round the house checking out what's going on (typical woman, thinks she's missing something :005:) whereas little brother Brodie is never more than 3 feet away from me, at ALL times.  He screams like a baby if I go out and can't settle, pacing about whimpering - even when everyone else is home, much to my hubbies disgust ph34r.  Although he's fine when he's left alone with Molly.  If I speak to anyone (even on the phone) he has to lie in my lap (head on my shoulder) as if to say "You might be talking to them, but you love me more" ph34r.  I can't give poor Molly any attention as he barges her out of the way too >:D.

Actually, he has a lot in common with my younger daughter when I think about it ::).

I do love him to bits though ph34r :luv:
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 07:49:30 AM »
Yep my boys are all sooks too. I'm sitting on her knee no I'm sitting on her knee and so it goes on. Jasper is being a real ginger whinger at the moment because of the puppies George plays with them all the time and i think Jasp feels a little left out. He will not leave me alone very needy boy. You can see him looking at you "you do love me the most don't you i am your favourite arn't I" Sydney is turning into a right gob on a stick. He's found his bark and he's using it. Harry bless him never barks, whinges a bit but no woof as yet and long may it continue. Come to think of it they are not much different from the man in my life.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses