Author Topic: Honey gets her own back  (Read 842 times)

Offline kb

• Site Member
Honey gets her own back
« on: May 25, 2006, 06:06:05 PM »
Some of you may remember that I posted a few weeks ago, about the difficulties we were having when we take Honey to my parents house (they believe in different, more severe training methods). We decided not to take Honey back for a few weeks and took her there yesterday again for the first time. We had made our feelings well known and things have settled down.

Despite my fathers old fashioned ideas about dog training, he adores Honey and was very keen to take her a walk. She has never been walked by a stranger so I was a little worried, but gave in. I thought it would help both of them. I waited anxiously the whole time they were out (it was as bad as the first time you let them take your children out)!.

Dad returned and I enquired as to how they got on. He told me that Honey had been a very, very naughty dog - but he was laughing at the time. Apparently he spent a long time with her in the garden before leaving - saying "toilet" - she does respond to this command. She ofcourse did not go. He had her in the park where there was ample opportunity to go - she did not go!.

He decided to walk the long way home - he had to walk along a road with a few shops, where it is very busy with lots of people around. Right in the middle of the busy area, she sat down and did a pooh - of course my dad had forgotten to take a bag to lift it up! She very rarely goes outside her own garden.

Now I am not in favour of dog owners not clearing up their dog mess, and  I have been known on at least one occasion where Honey has done this and I have forgotten to take a bag, to drive back and clean it up. However I did think it was a touch of poetic justice, as he had been so hard on her the last time we visited. I wonder if Honey remembered this too............!

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: Honey gets her own back
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 06:15:24 PM »
  :rofl1: :rofl1: I know it's cruel of me to say so, but having followed your earlier post I think that is sooo funny. As you say poetic justice. You will have to present him with a wrapped gift of doggy poo bags when you next visit. (or perhaps you could save them for a Christmas pressie?  ph34r )
Do you think he will ever take her out again?
On a more serious note, do you really think they have got the message now?
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 06:23:20 PM »
I think he will tahe her out again - but armed with plastic bags.

I think they still think that we are "too soft" with her, but have decided to leave it to us now. It is sometimes not the easiest thing to go down the line of not using fear as a deterrent and it probably takes a little longer to see the results (it is the same with kids). I think in the long run they will see we were right and that better results can be achieved this way. I think usong fear does not bring the dog to any understanding of discipline and that is why confusion and aggression can arise.

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 09:21:27 PM »
Go Honey - attagirl!!!! :luv:
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 09:37:10 PM »
I think he will tahe her out again - but armed with plastic bags.

I think they still think that we are "too soft" with her, but have decided to leave it to us now. It is sometimes not the easiest thing to go down the line of not using fear as a deterrent and it probably takes a little longer to see the results (it is the same with kids). I think in the long run they will see we were right and that better results can be achieved this way. I think usong fear does not bring the dog to any understanding of discipline and that is why confusion and aggression can arise.
I agree absolutely. As you say it is the same with kids. I am so glad you have managed to come to an understanding and wish you all well  :blink:.
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 04:33:49 PM »
Honey - GIRLFRIEND!!!!!   I am sooo proud of you sticking up for (or rather squatting down for) the sisterhood.  Yayy.  show that Grandpa who's boss..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've had that moment of horror - Paddy squats at the same second I see the poo bags in my mind's eye still on the hall table.  Great when he's got colitis and what comes out is even more revolting than normal.....My husband has perfected getting his 6ft 5inch arse out of the vicinity in that "not with me " kind of fast walk.... ph34r