Author Topic: Fading Puppies  (Read 4238 times)

Offline Sandie

• Site Member
    • http://
Fading Puppies
« on: August 13, 2004, 09:07:22 AM »
Hi,

After just experiencing fading puppy syndrome this morning with two little pups, through my tears I searched the web for information as to what causes it. I came across a very interesting article ( http://www.dogsworldwide.com/articles/vb2.htm ) and thought I would share this info with all you COL'ers.

It has not been a nice 26 hours for me, when the first puppy, a little boy showed the first signs of this. I managed to revive him and managed to get him to the vet, where an anti-biotic injection was administered followed by some special fluid was injected under the skin to rehydrate him. Two hours after I got home, a little girl showed the same signs.  After alternating hourly feeds of welpi and lectade for the last 21 hours both puppies died more or less at the same time. Both puppies were feeding well off the syringe it seemed.

The strange thing about these puppies, is that they were almost identical in markings and were both 8oz born. I know this has nothing to do with it but I thought it was so weird that two puppies could be so alike and die at the same time.

My question is, after losing two puppies, should I ask the vet for antibiotics for the six remainng puppies so they can start fighting any infection before they show the signs of fading puppy syndrome, if of course they do?

I know I am not the only person to suffer from this and I am sure it will happen in any future litters that I have, but do any of you do anything specific before the bitch whelps, or after, that I can try next time I decide to have a litter?

Sorry for the long posting, I am very upset and very tired at the moment, so please forgive my ramblings.

Sandie xx                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Fading Puppies
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 09:09:25 AM »
Very sorry you lost 2 pups from your litter, Sandie - it must be heartbreaking :(                    

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Fading Puppies
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 09:18:48 AM »
Oh Sandie, that is so sad :cry: Hope someone will be able to give you some advice.                    
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Fading Puppies
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 09:46:22 AM »
So sorry to hear you lost your 2 little ones Sandie :( It is sadly the case that not all puppies born in a litter can be expected to survive & I don't suppose there is a breeder anywhere that has not lost one or more puppies at one time or another. There are any number of reasons why pups die & Fading Puppy Syndrome is just one of those reasons. There could have been a developmental reason why your two pups didn't make it - you may never know for sure. Fading puppies do not usually accept feed from a bottle/syringe & they make a tell-tale "seagull" noise which is hard to describe but very distinctive - once heard, never forgotten :( You will need to keep a close eye on the remaining puppies but that does not mean they will go the same way as the ones you lost - hopefully they will all be fine :)

Here are a couple of related links which might be useful:-

Description of a new treatment for fading puppies:
http://www.champdogsforum.co.uk/board/topic/39665.html

Canine Herpes Vaccine: http://www.canineherpes.com/ (some breeders who have lost successive litters to FPS have been helped by the new CH vaccine)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
Fading Puppies
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 09:52:11 AM »
So sorry to hear your sad news, Sandie.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your little ones.

Sue and Tilly                    

Offline Andrea L

• Site Member
Fading Puppies
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 10:14:52 AM »
So sorry Sandie. :cry:   Fingers crossed that the others are OK.                    
lots of woofs n' licks,
Andrea, Silas and Marley

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Fading Puppies
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 10:18:58 AM »
What an awful thing to go through, Sandie  :cry:   Fingers crossed here, too, hoping the other pups are okay.  How is Aimee?                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Fading Puppies
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 10:19:00 AM »
:( Sandie, so terribly sorry two little ones have gone to the bridge.  It must be very upsetting for all of you.

Take care                    

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Fading Puppies
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 10:42:31 AM »
Oh, how sad.......hope all goes well with the remaining puppies.....thinking of you and Aimee                    
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Fading Puppies
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 12:42:45 PM »
Sandie,

Really sorry to hear about the two little pups. Our thoughts are with you.

Michelle                    

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Fading Puppies
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 12:50:40 PM »
So sorry to hear about your puppies, :(  hope the others are ok, thinking about you                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Fading Puppies
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2004, 12:51:02 PM »
So sorry to hear you lost two of your little ones,   :cry:   you must be devastated. Thinking of you.                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Fading Puppies
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2004, 01:55:07 PM »
I don't have any knowledge on this subject and therefore can offer no advice, but I do want to send my sympathies to you :cry: .  It must me very distressing and also worrying for you re. the remaining puppies but I've everything crossed for you that all will be well.

Hope Aimee is well too.

Thinking of you.                    
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Fading Puppies
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2004, 02:41:23 PM »
I am very sorry to hear your sad news Sandie :cry:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
Fading Puppies
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2004, 02:55:19 PM »
So sorry to hear about your loss, I lost my first pup last year I knew it would be upsetting but I was absolutely heartbroken.

Good luck with the rest of the litter, I'll keep everything crossed for you all.