Author Topic: Can a bitch just partially abort?  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Jaljen

• Site Member
Can a bitch just partially abort?
« on: August 17, 2004, 03:49:38 PM »
Our bitch was 7 weeks pregnant on Saturday when we found 3 tiny fully-formed pups in the garden. 2.5 cm long. First litter.

She was fine.  :) We had no idea anything was wrong. She is still fine. She shows no other symptoms except had a very little clear, sticky discharge. The vet gave her routine antibiotics and told us to wait. Her scan simply confirmed the pregnancy and our vet's policy is not to give a number since they say scans can so often be inaccurate.

She is fine still but the vet also said she still feels a bit full. He wants us to wait and see. All we did know was that she was expecting "quite a few".

Is it possible for a bitch to shed a few and go on to deliver safely? Some people think it's possible but rare. We think we'll scan her again or X-ray but vet seems unphased!  :?:                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 04:40:13 PM »
It happens occasionally but normally at an earlier stage in the pregnancy. The clear, sticky discharge is normal but if you spot any green or blood-stained discharge, you must get to the vet asap. I would certainly want her scanned again but xrays on a pregnant bitch are not a good idea unless absolutely necessary. You'll have to keep a close eye on things now (which I'm sure you're already doing) as since your bitch has delivered some pups, her cervix is now open leaving her vulnerable to infection (hence the antibiotics)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Jaljen

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 10:12:18 PM »
Thanks for that, Jane.

She'll have a scan tomorrow and I'm expecting a verdict of zero pups.

My daughters are on holiday in Switzerland with their father and I dread telling them. They have been looking forward to this SO much.

Still, our girl is OK so that's what matters most.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 11:11:16 PM »
Good luck with the scan tomorrow - as you say, as long as your girl is ok, that's the most important thing.

Jane                    
Jane

Offline Sandie

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 10:58:17 AM »
Hi,

How did your little girl get on with her scan yesterday? Is she still in whelp?

Sandie, Aimee and Wesley xx

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 09:15:00 AM »
Sadly this exact same thing happened to my girl in July, she ended up passing 4 mummified dead pups over 2 days, then another 2 WEEKS LATER  :blink:   She stayed on anti-biotics for 4 weeks and so far so good, but she didn't have any live pups :-(

My vet also thinks she didn't deliver them all and that some are still inside where they will  stay and calcify, which could affect her fertility in future.  She was both scanned and x-rayed recently and as far as we could see everything had gone.

It was very sad and upsetting, but at least my Rosie is still with us and back to her 'normal' self, her tummy stayed big for a couple of weeks before it started shrinking back, my vet said her womb felt large and thick and would do until everything had settled down.  

It sounds as though your girls pups died a while ago, 2.5cm at 7 weeks is too small!