Author Topic: Puppy Like & Digging.  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Allison

• Site Member
    • http://
Puppy Like & Digging.
« on: February 02, 2004, 07:52:26 PM »
Over the past week Sally has started to behave quite odd. It is like she has gone puppy like again. She is mouthing quite a lot and generally being very, very lively :? . It reminds us both of what she used to be like up until she was about 5-6 months old :) . She is now going on to 14 months old and has already had her first season but just seems to be having a puppy phase again :? . Also, we have just recently moved house and we have or should I say had a very beautiful lawn which as we speak has three big holes dug out of it :roll:  :x . We are obviously aware that dogs do dig but it is quite annoying to ruin it in such a way, has anyone got any advice :?: . At the moment she is half way through a two week ear drop treatment given to us by the vet for an ear infection. We have convinced ourselves that her behaviour may possibly have something to do with the ear drops :?: . The drops are called "Canaural", has anybody else experienced anything like this before :?: . Any advice or suggestions will be very much appreciated :) .                    
Allison, Neil & Sally.xxxxxxxxxx

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Puppy Like & Digging.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 09:47:05 PM »
Hi Allison - I think a lot of this will be down to moving house and being a 14 month old cocker. She's a teenager still and they can still surprise you with changes in behaviour. She could also be coming into season again. Sorry I can't remember if you've had her speyed or not. Even if you have, it could still be cycle related. I doubt it's related to her ear problem. Canaural is a very typical ear treatment. Ear prob's can cause them to run around a bit mad sometimes as the pain/itching can be hard for them.

But digging sounds like she's just having fun in her new pad. She needs to learn it's wrong. I'd try letting her out on a long lead for a while and don't take your eyes off her. When she goes to dig, pull, yell "NO" and call her to you and give her a treat. This should distract her from the digging. You could also use a toy to draw her attention. Give her something different to think about than digging.

Do you know if the previous occupants had a dog? Could be related to that.

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Puppy Like & Digging.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 10:11:43 PM »
In my experience ALL Cockers love digging - sorry  :(                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Allison

• Site Member
    • http://
Puppy Like & Digging.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 10:41:19 PM »
Just to add, we moved house just over three weeks ago and she only started to dig up the garden yesterday :roll: . The previous house owners only had cats but apparently the people before them owned a cocker would you believe :) . But having said that it was over five years ago. We haven't had her spayed and her last season started on October 17th 2003, could she be having another season so soon after her first one  :?: .                    
Allison, Neil & Sally.xxxxxxxxxx