Author Topic: Pulling My Hair Out!  (Read 1425 times)

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Pulling My Hair Out!
« on: September 29, 2005, 09:54:30 AM »
When Bella first came home, we tried her with a few of the foods we'd been given and she seemed to like Pro-Plan best so that's what we went with.

She used to gussle it down but this had slowed and discovering that Purina test on animals and that this wasn't necessarily the healthiest food we decided to change her over to a natural food.

We tried her on a sample of Burns and Arden Grange and she ate both but seemed to prefer the Arden Grange so I (stupidly :rolleyes: ) bought a 15kg sack of it :ph34r: We spent about two weeks doing a gradual change over and over that period she was eating less and less and her poo's were getting softer so I asked for some advice and was suggested to give her Burns but because she already had soft poo's to do it straight away rather than gradually.

We did this and she ate it quite well for about 7/10 days. Her poo's didn't improve and she slowly got bored with that too.

In despair and desperately wanting her to eat we bought another bag of Pro-Plan on the basis that she was previously fine with it (and wishing we'd left her as she was :( ) Her poo has definately improved and can now be picked up! But, she still won't eat without a struggle.

We've tried putting water on her food and she liked that, once! The next time it didn't work. We've tried adding little bits of meat etc and most things seem to work but only once or twice and she's missed as many as two meals in a row.

I keep telling myself that if she was hungry she would eat but at the same time I feel awful that she's not eating :(

We'd still quite like to feed her naturally but I don't want to keep trying different things and failing as it seems the more things she tries the fussier she gets. On the other hand, she's not eating anyway so ???????

Does anyone feed a completely natural diet? (rather than natural complete food like Burns) I've tried reading up on it but I'm confused :blink: I'm 99.9% sure she wouldn't turn her nose up at real meat! ;) I've been looking at the Natures Menu and Prize Choice frozen packs - does anyone use these? What I find confusing is the bit that says 'feed raw bones' what does that mean? Those horrible looking things in the pet shop?

Help :unsure:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Pulling My Hair Out!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 10:04:44 AM »
What I find confusing is the bit that says 'feed raw bones' what does that mean? Those horrible looking things in the pet shop?

I'm sure some raw feeding experts will be able to advise you - but to be honest, if you don't like the look for the bones in the pet shops (which are roasted and IMO should never be fed to any dog) then raw feeding might not be for you  ;)  The raw bones I get Molo occasionally are from the butcher, and are still bloody  ;)

There are premium wet foods, such as Naturediet, that some fussier dogs do well on - I've always been a tough mum; once we found a food that suited him, thats what he was given :ph34r:  When he didn't eat it, we cut out all treats, and put his dinner down for 15 minutes and then nothing til the next meal  :rolleyes:  He soon learnt, and now inhales his Burns  :lol:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Pulling My Hair Out!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 10:06:42 AM »
Penel is a great advocate of raw feeding, Pm her and she will give loads of advice.

Do a searh in the forums for raw feeding as she has posted a lot on the subject, even posting in detail what she feeds her dogs.

Raw meaty bones are just that - raw bones from the butchers. Lamb ribs and chicken wings are ideal. What the pet shops sell are smoked or roasted and are not for eating, just for having a chew on
Caroline and Alfie

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Pulling My Hair Out!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 10:23:54 AM »
thanks for your help.

I have been trailing through some old posts as I knew it had probably been raised before but I haven't found any specific info yet...... I'll keep looking.

The one post I have found so far was by Penel and was referring to the butcher giving her bones etc. Trouble is, we don't really have butchers around here :blink: We've got the biggest flashiest supermarkets but no butchers, bakers, greengrocers etc........

I think I'll find it too difficult to get hold of raw bones then won't I. I can certainly get some chicken wings but they'll probably come from Tesco........

Has anyone got any thoughts on the Natures Menu/Prize Choice frozen packs?

Offline isla

• Site Member
Pulling My Hair Out!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 01:08:25 PM »
Penel kindly gave me quite alot of advice about this maybe about a month ago. Its in "Smelly Dog" in the other breeds discussion... sorry can't work out link!!

We decided to go partially raw as OH was a bit freaked by it all. I feed raw mince once a day which Jem loves and up until now one complete dry meal and a tinned meat meal with mixer. Going to cut down to raw mince and complete only. She really likes JWB and Bakers so I think we'll stick with that.

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Pulling My Hair Out!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 02:10:14 PM »
thanks Isla, I've just been having a look at your post.

I find it all very interesting but still a bit confusing all the same :huh:

I guess it's just getting your head around it all, it seems like one of those things that once your doing it, it becomes second nature. It's just getting started that seems a bit daunting.

I've bought some Naturediet this morning and tried Bella with some of one pack and she wolfed that down. I've got to say even though it smelt a bit horrible it seemed much more appetising than dry kibble, even to me!

I guess what I need to know (Penel, are you there?) is how important the bones are. I am sure I can source chicken wings but the other things would be more difficult because as I said earlier we don't really have a proper butchers here. We can get the mince and I can do the veggies, egg etc. I could also use this Naturediet - can I use this Naturediet and other things as well or do you use one or the other?

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
Pulling My Hair Out!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 11:41:17 AM »
Raw feeding DOES work for fussy eaters as I have tried it in the past but I have yet to meet a *true* fussy cocker spaniel. All too often I hear of people worrying about their cocker puppy and the amount s/he eats. Cocker will NOT go hungry! You should offer dry complete food (only) in small amounts at set times during the day and if the puppy refuses after 5 minutes, take the food away until the next meal time. One "shock tactic" that works for me is to give the puppy only 1 feed but this really depends on age of the puppy, until s/he is so hungry s/he eats. No dog has ever become ill through starvation as far as I know (if anyone knows any different please speak up!) - more dogs become ill due to their owners feeding them an unbalanced diet. It can affect coat, skin, behaviour, poo's.

Make sure your puppy has been wormed with drontal or panacur recently, worms can cause lots of eating and poo problems.

Also, never go by the amounts stated on the bag - they are usually overestimated for a cocker, my dogs never eat as much as it says on the bag.

I have been feeding arden grange for a good while now, possibly 2 years thinking about it, and have yet to see a cocker with runny poo when fed Arden Grange EXCLUSIVEY i.e. with nothing added.

The constant changing of food can upset your cocker, I would allow 7 days for the poo to improve while feeding only AG. Also make sure your cocker has plenty of fresh drinking water as dehydration can lead to excessive thirst which results in runny poo.

Alternatively you could try raw but it is important you get the balance right and have the time to put into the preparation at the start (it gets easier once you know what you are doing). Dogs love it too.

I have only ever put dogs onto AG straight away, I never find changing does them much good with regards to their poos. They seem to sort themselves out quicker if changed immediately rather than over 7 days, especially if the food they are on isn't suiting them anyway. I have always found that arden grange firms the stools, even in my cat who cannot tolerate any supermarket brands of cat food without getting runny poo.

I would contact AG for advice as they do many different varieties and may be able to suggest an alternative. I think the classic is meant to be better for dogs with allergies, but your puppy should be on junior or graduate now not the puppy version which is only meant for weaning cockers....which version do you feed?

You do not say how old your cocker is or how long you have had the puppy?

Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
Pulling My Hair Out!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 11:53:40 AM »
Jilly, please try not to worry about it too much.  Bailey is 2 1/2 and still a fussy eater.  Ive had him on Burns since he was 6 months old and Im not changing from it.  ;)

He has a wee bit of other food with it, grated cheese, chicken, tuna etc but there are still some days, when he doesn't touch it.  I don't worry about it anymore.  He looks great, is healthy.  I always put it down for him, and if it is still there after 30 mins it gets picked up.

Good luck with whatever you decide to give Bella.  Im fascinated by the raw feeding, but really want to stick with what I have been giving him.  :)
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline rocky

• Site Member
    • http://
Pulling My Hair Out!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 12:03:18 PM »
I am also feeding burns some days rocky eats it all up others he doesnt touch it!I used to really worry but I know he will eat when he is hungry.I always lift it after 15 minutes and then nothing else until the next feed is due.

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
Pulling My Hair Out!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 12:59:45 PM »
Jilly

My Scooby is a very very fussy eater too - like you, I used to stress about what he was eating and swapped him from JWB to Burns, which he gobbled up for a few weeks and then went off  :(

However, I still feed him Burns (mixed with meat/chicken/veggies etc.) and if he refuses it, that's it, he doesn't get anything until the following day  :unsure:

I have, however, starting feeding him just once a day and I do find that he does eat his meal most days now.  I think the problem before was him "picking" in the morning and then not being that hungry later on.  He now sits and waits for his tea at about 5pm, which he never did before  :)

Since I've swapped him from 2 meals to 1, I've had him weighed and he's gone from 10.2kg to 10.8kg which I'm pleased with.
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby