Author Topic: Hamish Bit Me  (Read 14059 times)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2006, 11:46:41 PM »

So, fingers crossed that all goes well for Mikey and Herbie.  Hubby is worried that I'm gonna get him done next, so he's on his best behaviour :lol:
[snapback]185076[/snapback]

I think thats why Im getting so much resistance from Nigel  :lol:
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2006, 01:22:28 AM »
I am utterly convinced that's why Pete won't let me get Rufters done. He's scared I'll like the change too much  :lol:

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2006, 11:41:34 AM »
Just as an update - I asked three vets the other day and none had heard of bad reactions to tardak. They really don't use it very often at all, and certainly not willy nilly so maybe it's not representative.

Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline PennyB

Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2006, 11:52:48 AM »
I guess the question is really that whether tardek was produced originally for one thing (i.e. as a temporary contraception) and may be not behaviour modification which is whats being suggested here.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Re: Hamish Bit Me
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2006, 10:35:32 PM »
Just seen this topic near the top again!  I did speak to the vet that gave Ben the Tardak injection.  He explained that the injection had no known connections to bad behaviour change.  He also confirmed that the injection could last 3 to 6 months (that's his opinion and he's an expert compared to me in my eyes?).  As COL'ers will know - Ben has now been castrated.  This has not changed my boy at all - not even for the reasons he was castrated in the first place!  He is still the 'naughty working cocker' with a real zest for life  :luv:

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2006, 02:05:16 PM »
It can take six months for the effects of the castration to work in any event, can't it?

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2006, 09:30:59 PM »
I think it takes a long time and won't effect humping if it's a dominance thing.  One of Ben's friends is a 2 yr old black lab - he is a real gentleman (Tim - nice but dim comes to mind  :laugh:)  He was castrated at 1yr as part of a rehoming policy and it changed him within a week BUT every so often he'll 'climb on board' ::)  It only takes his owners voice to stop him in his tracks - unlike my Ben who humps at least twice a day on walks and then tries at home  >:(  I'm still hoping that castration was right for Ben even though he is still young.  I lost him on a few walks and he has a bit of an unpredictable temper when out and playing with his mates.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2006, 10:20:12 PM »
I think it takes a long time and won't effect humping if it's a dominance thing.  One of Ben's friends is a 2 yr old black lab - he is a real gentleman (Tim - nice but dim comes to mind  :laugh:)  He was castrated at 1yr as part of a rehoming policy and it changed him within a week BUT every so often he'll 'climb on board' ::)  It only takes his owners voice to stop him in his tracks - unlike my Ben who humps at least twice a day on walks and then tries at home  >:(  I'm still hoping that castration was right for Ben even though he is still young.  I lost him on a few walks and he has a bit of an unpredictable temper when out and playing with his mates.

Molo had a "humping problem" from about 6 to 12 months old - he wasn't humping other dogs - and he certainly displayed no dominant behaviour - he humped my arms and legs, and towels mainly  ::)

As for losing him; ask Caroline about Marvolous Molo's Magical Disappearing Act  :laugh:

He also had the odd grumble at other entire males - but only if they started it  ::) The funniest thing is his occasional growling when he cocks his leg to scent mark  - bless, it makes him feel butch  ;)

I guess what I'm saying is that he probably will grow out of it - whether it is linked to the neutering or not I wouldn't like to say - but even neutering can't take away natural adolescent doggy instinct completely -  they just have to grow up in their own time; they are still considered puppies until they are 12 months old ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2006, 10:59:08 PM »
Wilf still humps arms for some reason when things are exciting, ask Simon, AnnieG's OH! Wilf has now been neutered for 2 years. Mind you he has to put up with Ruby humping him occasionally.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2006, 11:03:14 PM »
Jessie is a bitch and every now and again she humps nothing...does that make sense...?  :huh:

Its like she is humping a smaller dog but nothing is there lol...w laugh but we probably shudnt...

Spaying didnt stop her humping....she still tries to hump Saffi as Saffi is top dog (being a terrier) but she doesnt get very far.

Interestingly Saffi has never humped...

Janey