Author Topic: What kind of treats?  (Read 1337 times)

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
What kind of treats?
« on: March 17, 2006, 12:48:59 PM »
don't know if this should be on Health or Behaviour forum.

Paddy has colitis, kicks off easily, suffering at present quite badly.  I've been told not to give him treats for training but to use his dog food.  Problems are:

1.  he gets bored of the dog food;

2.  it's like soggy pate, to be more digestible for his dickie tum, so horrible and difficult to handle.  Manageable in house/garden but a nightmare on walks. 

I'm not planning to use any treats other than his food for a week to let the colitis settle down, but can anyone recommend something which is tasty but bland enough (or rather, pure enough) not to upset (or minimise risk of upset) of his system?  I wondered about plain cooked chicken in little bits but wasn't sure if the extra pure protein would send him off again?

All advice and recommendations, as always, very gratefully received.

Denise

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: What kind of treats?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 05:35:11 PM »
You could try drying some liver out slowly in the oven. Can't get much purer than that.

I make sardine cakes using sardine, egg and the dust from the bottom of the dry food bags instead of the usual flour. You can do that with any kind of tinned fish but not the stuff in brine, I gather. I use the ones in oil and drain it off. If you are interested I'll give details of how to make it. Very easy.

AND  Buddy would sell his soul for it. It's a pity it's so stonky or I'd always have some in my pocket for instant manipulation!

Offline suzieq

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 05:40:21 PM »
Can u tell me how you make that as I always have loads of dust and small bits of kibble left at the bottom of my dried food bags and it seems such a waste.
Your dog is a simpler version of you, only smaller, hairier and with a big wet tongue! (j.rose barber)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 09:04:32 PM »
I thought so too, so I started saving it in bags and pots. Think I'm a closet bag lady really. ;)

So easy: Just drain a can of sardines in oil, mash with a fork, beat in one raw egg then add as much dust as you think to make a fairly stiff paste.

I usually spread it quite thinly on a sheet of that magic carpet stuff, but I guess greaseproof paper would be as good. Then cook in the microwave a couple of minutes at a time until it dries out and is quite hard. I often cover it with kitchen roll to absorb some of the steam, and turn it over halfway through.

When it is cool cut into tiny pieces and use as rewards.

Beware - it's stinky stuff when it's cooking!

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 11:29:45 PM »
Can't be as bad as liver cake  :lol:  The things we do for our cockers - must be love :luv:

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 11:40:14 PM »
I have a few links to webpages with recipes for homemade dog treats, you could always adapt the recipe where you need to ;)

Let me know if you want the links :D

Offline Dannyt

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 07:30:13 AM »
Yes please the LINKS would be fantastic.

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 08:28:48 AM »

Offline suzieq

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 11:28:09 AM »
I thought so too, so I started saving it in bags and pots. Think I'm a closet bag lady really. ;)

So easy: Just drain a can of sardines in oil, mash with a fork, beat in one raw egg then add as much dust as you think to make a fairly stiff paste.

I usually spread it quite thinly on a sheet of that magic carpet stuff, but I guess greaseproof paper would be as good. Then cook in the microwave a couple of minutes at a time until it dries out and is quite hard. I often cover it with kitchen roll to absorb some of the steam, and turn it over halfway through.

When it is cool cut into tiny pieces and use as rewards.

Beware - it's stinky stuff when it's cooking!

Thats great - thanks so much. Will get some sardines todday and start cooking :lol:Glad to know i'm not the only one who collects all the dust etc. :005:l
Your dog is a simpler version of you, only smaller, hairier and with a big wet tongue! (j.rose barber)

Offline Mollycuddles

• Donator
  • cockers have a lotta fun
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 12:27:06 PM »
Here is this link also  http://www.itsaspringthing.co.uk/willows%20kitchen.htm   page 2 has a recipe with nature diet ....you could use Paddy's food in the ingredients instead  :blink:
Lyn, Molly, Georgie, Dagen, Tessa & Alfie X

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 01:45:38 PM »
I'ver recently started making the Naturediet nuggets for Bella - very cheap and very popular, she loves them. It does stink the place out for a good while though so best done on a mild day when you can have all the windows open - OH was complaining for days!  :lol:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk