Author Topic: Paddy's in hospital...and a cautionary tale about insurance for new puppy owners  (Read 9750 times)

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
...last night, about half an hour after going to bed, Pads started barking.  We decided to ignore (against my better judgment as he never makes a noise nowadays at night).

This morning, I got up at 7am and Paddy had poo'ed everywhere in the kitchen: as I walked towards the glass door into the kitchen, I could see piles of poo, but when I walked in, I found piles of poo, puddles of liquid poo and a pile of vomit.  Then around the corner, I found a puddle of blood, about eighteen inches long and six inches wide.  Paddy was just sitting weakly in his basket, wagging his little tail.

He was in the vets before 8am and has been kept in overnight. On a drip and having a general anaesthetic this morning, to have a colonoscopy and a gastroscopy.

The cautionary tale for the new puppy owners is about insurance cover.  I made use of the free six weeks' insurance cover that comes with Kennel Club registered puppies, but then switched to Marks & Spencer cover.  Because Paddy's first bout of colitis occurred during the six week free period, M&S treat it as being part of the colitis saga, therefore a pre-existing condition.

The vet thinks that it is probably colitis again, but that we'll now have to go on a permanent prescription-only feed regime, with steroids and anti-biotics.  None of this is covered by insurance and we'll gladly pay to keep Paddy healthy and happy, but...if any of you get a problem during the first six weeks of free cover, which MIGHT recur - do give serious thought to sticking with that insurer.  Alternatively - if I had my time over, I'd just take out the M&S cover from day one of having got Pads and not "coasted" on the "benefit" of free insurance.  Today will cost £500.  God knows what else will come.

In the meantime, have a kind thought for Pads ....

Offline Annette

• Site Member
So sorry to hear about poor Paddy.

Do hope he gets much better soon, and can come home for some cuddles.

Thanks for the advice about insurance too!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Oh poor Paddy  :'( :'(  I'm really sorry to hear he's ill. That must have been such a shock for you this morning...

I'm also really sorry about your insurance... Definitely a cautionary tale  :-\

Lots of healing hugs and  :-* on their way to Pads  :luv: :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Oh, bless him, poor Paddy boy. :luv:

That's awful about the insuranc, and a good tip, I shall bear that in mind.  I hope he's on th mend really soon, Hamish and Indie send him cuddles and a gravybone xx :luv:
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline SARAHLP

• Site Member
  • Maisy at 4 weeks
Poor Pads  :'(  Get well soon. 

I've got Maisy insured with Petplan on their supreme cover as I just cant take the risk of some high street insurance company not paying out for any required treatment.  Treatments are so bl**dy expensive.  I was warned off these kind of insurace companies to be honest. However,  my OH's mum has a black lab who's insured with Sainsburys & she's never had problems with health exclusions, but I have a feeling they'll cease cover after he reaches a certain age  :huh: (when things start to go wrong of course)
xxx Love Sarah & (crazy) Maisy xx

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
Oh poor little Pads - get well soon sweetie!  :luv:
from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
Poor Paddy, hope he feels better soon  :luv:

Thanks for pointing that out about the insurance, just wish you could have found out another way  :-\
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
I hope Paddy is better soon - what a worry for you :-\

Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline dood

• Site Member
So sorry to hear this -hope he's feeling much better soon :luv:
Was just about to switch to M and S after free Pet Plan but perhaps better stick to Pet Plan in case something happens after Poppy's 'parasite.' Still waiting to hear if she's completely clear now.
Many hugs and healing thoughts coming your way :luv: Take care of yourself.

Sam and Poppy xxx

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Aww gentle hugs for Pads - poor lad  :luv:

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
oh Denise, what a nightmare....

am so sorry to hear Paddy has had this setback....   I thought he was doing so well on the Forthglade....

i hope all the tests tomorrow go well, and Pads is home soon..

re. the insurance - thanks for hte advice.   it is such a shame you will be left holding hte bill for all this.   i know we all would pay anything to keep our pooches healthy, but it must be a worry...

Petra

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
Vet has phoned to confirm that they've taken stomach, small intestinal and bowel samples for testing.  No ulceration in the stomach or small intestine, some haemorrhaging in the stomach, but really roughened and inflamed/swollen bowel, so almost certainly colitis again.  he's also anaemic because of the blood loss.  But wagging his tail and looking cute apparently.  We've been told not to go and see him this evening because arriving and then leaving him behind will be more distressing for him than just snuffling down on his own.... :'(

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and hugs for Pads - I'll be passing them on for sure tomorrow!

Denise

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
AWWWW bless him :luv:  I'm really sorry he is poorly, i hope he gets better soon. :blink:

Good point about the insurance, thanks for sharing!
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Poor Pads  :'(  Get well soon. 

I've got Maisy insured with Petplan on their supreme cover as I just cant take the risk of some high street insurance company not paying out for any required treatment.  Treatments are so bl**dy expensive.  I was warned off these kind of insurace companies to be honest. However,  my OH's mum has a black lab who's insured with Sainsburys & she's never had problems with health exclusions, but I have a feeling they'll cease cover after he reaches a certain age  :huh: (when things start to go wrong of course)

I insured Alfie with M&S after doing a lot of reasearch on various insurers and doing a search here on COL too. I don't know the ins and outs of the Sainsbury's policy but M&S certainly offer full life cover and indeed everything else that Pet Plan offer and they're also cheaper. I think the level of cover someone is willing to pay for is more the issue rather than the insurance company they choose. With the range of financial services offered by the likes of Tesco, Sainsbury's and M&S these days I think they're a pretty safe bet as long as you research the policy fully  ;)
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Oh poor little man  :'( i hope he gets better soon  :-*
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~