Author Topic: Paddy's in hospital...and a cautionary tale about insurance for new puppy owners  (Read 9749 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
hoping pad's is feeling a lot better today....gentle manly cocker squidges from jarv to poorly paddy :luv:

and thanks all for the insurance tips...will check out my m&s policy and make sure it's the right one...
helen & jarvis x

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://

Obviously, if your pup/dog hasn't been treated during any period of insurance then there is no risk when you change - but if they have had anything other than routine treatment (even if you haven't claimed on the policy) - think very carefully before changing the policy - it may have implications in years to come  :-\

Paddy is ready to be picked up at noon today, so I'll let you know how he is when he's back and being cuddled!

Rachel's hit the nail on the head, more succinctly than my original post.  If you're pup doesn't have anything happen/arise during that six week free insurance period, then you're safe to pick whichever policy you want going forward, because you won't be going into the new policy with anything which the new insurer can reasonably say is a "pre-existing condition" which is excluded from pretty much every policy I've seen.  It's really a counsel of caution for those who are still in that six week period who have had something happen (e.g. Dood with Poppy) or those who are getting ready to pick up their puppies soon.  For the former category - check with your vet whether any issues your dog's been treated for are capable of recurring - and would it be "recurring" - like colitis flaring up, rather than repeat bad luck - like your pup broke its front pay during its first week with you and then its back leg at six months old - this wouldn't be a "recurrence" of a "pre-existing condition".  for those who are just about to get their puppies - if you can afford it, just ignore the six weeks' free insurance and get your preferred policy in place from day one, just in case.

Edited to say - I can't criticise M&S - I still think it's a great policy with fantastic levels of cover and I'd highly recommend it.  It gives whole of life cover, the vet fees are set at the highest lever (£7k per annum I think).  Pretty much EVERY policy will exclude "pre-existing conditions" - the point is that if something which amounts to a "pre-existing condition" arises in those first six weeks of free insurance cover from the Kennel Club's provider, then you should seriously consider staying with that insurer - it's good cover, not quite as good as M&S and a bit more expensive.  But the price difference is nothing when you consider that, after the £500 I'll be handing over today, we have spent more than £950 on treating Paddy's colitis so far (not yet seven months old) and that if he goes onto steroids etc, this will mean that we have a lifetime of uninsured costs.  We're lucky in that we can afford that without it causing us to hurt financially, but it would be much nicer if an insurance company were paying!  For anyone with a healthy puppy still within the first six weeks' free cover, I'd suggest getting the M&S cover straight away - just in case!

Denise

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
I hope Paddy is home safely and being given gentle cocker cuddles  :luv:

For anyone with a healthy puppy still within the first six weeks' free cover, I'd suggest getting the M&S cover straight away - just in case!

This solution does come with its own risks if you do have to claim while you have two policies in existance, though; read the small print very carefully to make sure you don't get caught out  ;)

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
Sorry to not have posted till now - I hope Paddy is feeling much better.

Lots of cuddles from us   :-*
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline dood

• Site Member
Being a complete idiot as usual. My free cover has now expired and duh haven't got any at the mo  :embarassed:
If so if we continued with Petplan would they refuse any future claim for Poppy (if any trouble caused by parasite) as cover was not continuous? If so I'll get on to M and S.

Sam and Poppy xxx

Offline Woody's Mum

• Site Member
  • ''The dog is the god of frolic''
Being a complete idiot as usual. My free cover has now expired and duh haven't got any at the mo  :embarassed:
If so if we continued with Petplan would they refuse any future claim for Poppy (if any trouble caused by parasite) as cover was not continuous? If so I'll get on to M and S.

You might be in a bit of trouble TBH. Petplan may reinsure you and cover future claims but other insurance companies will be tricky now that your girl has already been ill.

Phone Petplan ASAP!
With Love, Toni & Woody xx

www.myspace.com/tonitee

Offline lyn

• Site Member
been busy today and only just seen this.i do hope paddy is feeling better.please give him a gentle hug from me.
funny about the insurance thing.i haven't activated ellies free insurance.i am taking a chance and just going for the m&s cover.paddy is insured with the kc and although i haven't made a claim i did want to change to m&s for him to,but when he got his rash last year the vet thought it may be due to a grass allergy and so it looks like i am stuck with the kc for him.i really wanted the m&s.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
been busy today and only just seen this.i do hope paddy is feeling better.please give him a gentle hug from me.
funny about the insurance thing.i haven't activated ellies free insurance.i am taking a chance and just going for the m&s cover.paddy is insured with the kc and although i haven't made a claim i did want to change to m&s for him to,but when he got his rash last year the vet thought it may be due to a grass allergy and so it looks like i am stuck with the kc for him.i really wanted the m&s.

lyn, we didn't want to have double cover and any problems with 2 policies so we never activated the kc cover - went straight to m&s to keep things simple.  i would check with m&s if they can take over paddy's cover too....
helen & jarvis x

Offline lyn

• Site Member
you know helen i think i will ask m&s anyway.surely if it was a grass allergy it would have resurfaced by now.he spends hours in the garden and tbh the grass has now got seed on it coz it's been so wet i can't mow ph34r
we were at the vets today.ellie had her first vax(she was so brave and didn't make a sound,unlike pads who screamed the place down when he had his)she is, as i type this. barking like a little maniac at pads,who thinks it's great :005:so no ill effects there.
i may give our vet a call tuesday and see what they think about the allergy thing.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog

I don't want to worry you, but if your 6 week cover has expired, then even if you go back to Petplan you might find they consider any gastrointestinal problems "pre-existing" - I suggest you call them as soon as possible, and ask them  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Hope Paddy's home now and feeling better  :luv:

I insured Ben the day before we got him as I'm a bit of a worrier and wanted him covered from the minute I got him.  The KC free insurance application form asked for my direct debit details which I wasn't too happy giving and he would have been double insured anyway so I didn't bother + they were really expensive compared the company I'm with now.  I've made one claim already and they paid up without question.

Offline dood

• Site Member
Hope Paddy's feeling better this morning. :luv:

Sam and Poppy xxx

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
A fully rehydrated Paddy returned yesterday lunchtime, and it was like he was on rocket fuel: so lively, scampering everywhere and soooooooo pleased to be home.  Lots of cuddles and a nice gentle walk: then he conked out, ate his dinner and started to look very poorly again.

Today - lively as anything.  He's on antibiotics, eye drops for inflamed conjunctivitis (unrelated) and a stomach soothing lotion - smells of licorice.  YUK.  also on the sensitivity food from the vets.  Test results on all the samples of stomach, small intestine and bowel tissues due back next Monday.  Fingers crossed that it shows up a specific curable cause.

Many thanks for all the kind thoughts, cocker kisses and hugs!

Denise

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Awwww, I'm glad he's home and feeling a bit better. Lots more hugs on the way so he stays that way!  :luv: :luv:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline ladylola

• Donator
hugs and kisses sent for paddy from sasha get well soon
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.