Author Topic: pet insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2966 times)

Offline charliesmum

• Site Member
  • pretty charlie pup
pet insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: February 04, 2007, 10:06:03 PM »
Hi, As I'm new on this site, which company gives you the best pet insurance as i need to get Charlie boy insurances. :D
many thanks

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: pet insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 10:11:15 PM »
You need to shop for Pet Insurance in the same way as car or home insurance - work out what you want covered, and then find a policy that suits you best  ;)

In general, there are two forms of policy - those that cover the cost of each condition for 12 months (up to a maximum amount), and those that cover the cost of each condition for life, up to a maximum cost.  The latter are more expensive that the former - but if your dog is diagnoses with epilepsy, or diabetes, for instance, then 12 months worth of cover means that you might be paying out for expensive medication for several years with no insurance to cover the cost  :-\

Other things to consider are the cost of a behaviourist, alternative therapy, dental work (many policies exclude it) and the extras such as kennel costs if a family member is taken to hospital, for instance  ;)

Enjoy!  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 10:21:51 PM »
Agree with IWLass... there is a third type of policy though... that covers up to a certain amount per year for life! I have one of those with Marks & Spencer, and I have chose their no-excess policy too.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 10:37:40 PM »
Agree with IWLass... there is a third type of policy though... that covers up to a certain amount per year for life! I have one of those with Marks & Spencer, and I have chose their no-excess policy too.

Vera

And so have I! I've just insured Morgan with M&S. My other three are insured with Direct Line on a policy that cover up to £6k per condition. I've claimed for Sapphi with them and they've paid for everything without question, if a little slow.

What I would say is make sure you look into everything fully. Its likely that once you've taken out your policy you'll have to stay with them forever if you're dog needs to go to the vet for anything other than routine vaccinations. I once looked at swapping Sapphi and I had to declare every visit to the vet and what it was for. It came back that she wouldn't ever be covered for diarrhea as she'd been to see the vet with it.  ::)

I'm going to try and swap Barney and Max onto M&S too if I can do so without them being excluded from anything. I've not made a claim for either of them, though they have been to the vets a few times.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
  • Can we go home yet.....?
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 10:38:46 PM »
You get what you pay for in my eyes with insurance.  Check out Petplan - a little more expensive (but not much more  ;)) but worth it I think.
Happy shopping!
Harry the Sprocker - crossbreed I know, but still gorgeous !

"Don't walk in front of me - I may not follow.
 Don't walk behind me - I may not lead.
 Just walk beside me & be my friend." (and STOP PULLING!!)

Albert Camus

Offline AnnieM

• Site Member
  • Jazmin
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 08:25:46 AM »
Is anyone with healthy pets?  What is their cover/service like in comparison with M&S?  I have the girls insured with M&S, but to insure Archie with them will cost me more than I am paying for both of the girls together, he is covered by his 6 weeks free petplan insurance at the moment.

**DALEMSTAR COCKERS**

Offline charliesmum

• Site Member
  • pretty charlie pup
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 10:23:23 AM »
thanks fior the replys and advice it seems  m&s are one of the better comapnys to go with for pet insurance.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 12:16:25 PM »
Just to let you know that sometimes M&S can be slow paying.  That was my experience anyway ;)
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Wightpaws

• Site Member
  • Wightroche Magical Knight
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 03:43:05 PM »
We're with Healthy Pets, Gold Policy, couldn't recommend enough, they process payments and are really helpful when sorting claims in a friendly way and responsed to emails almost immediately.  However, as IWLass says it is best to shop around to find the one that suits your needs, I know it took us ages to finally decided on which one to purchase.

Good Luck
cheryl, owned by Snops, Rocks, Pebbles and Ruby Roo

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 04:31:47 PM »
And Healthy Pets Gold policy covers £5k of vets' fees, M&S covers £7k.  Provided your dog is in the majority and never develops anything major and never gets seriously injured, then the difference in cover won't make much difference to you.  But if......

I was with M&S last year but the premium hiked from about £160 to £260 this year, so I've gone with Halifax - they get good write ups and the £6k vets' fees was the trade off - but otherwise their cover is very similar to M&S - £14.62 pcm and no interest or other charges for paying by monthly direct debit - so £175 pa -v- M&S at £260. 

Denise

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 05:19:58 PM »
Jasper is covered by Sainsburys who paid up really quick for us last week but I know others have not had such a good experience.  Their quote for Louie was higher so we were lazy and left the insurance with the kennel club policy.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline charliesmum

• Site Member
  • pretty charlie pup
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
Hi everyone , many thanks for advice on pet insurance , I 'vie just insurance charlie , £169 per year with a no excess policy.
Thanks charlies mum :D