Author Topic: Halifax Insurance  (Read 5537 times)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
Halifax Insurance
« on: November 15, 2007, 09:14:28 PM »
Hi, I know there are loads of discussions about insurance.   I've been doing online quotes with M&S, Petplan and Halifax.   M&S and Petplan are over £30 each per month for our new puppy and Halifax are £11.64 who offer lifetime cover of £6000 vets bills per year.   The difference in quotes seems ridiculous and wondered whether there is something I am missing with regards to the Halifax Insurance.   I've read the cover and it seems good, what I'd really like to know though is if any of you have the Halifax Pet Insurance and have you made any claims and were they paid without any quibbling.   Theres no point me going with a cheaper insurance if they try to avoid paying out or are slow in paying.    Any advice on the Halifax would be really appreciated.    :-\

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
Re: Halifax Insurance
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 09:24:25 PM »
Can't help with Halifax, but suggest you get a quote from Healthy Pets too. (Go for the Gold option). I have had no problems so far with them.

http://www.healthy-pets.co.uk/
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline Aearoniel

• Site Member
  • Callie
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 09:33:19 PM »
We have Callie insured with Halifax, no problems so far but we haven't made a claim yet. The policy ticks all the right boxes including a good price!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 09:34:04 PM »
Halifax is one of the Insurance Companies that have written their policy in such a way that if you chose not to have your dog vaccinated their whole policy can be invalidated - so that may be a consideration for you  ;)

I assume you are referring to the Halifax eXtra policy - the basic Halifax policy cover only provides £1000 a year in fees cover, wheras the eXtra covers £6000 a year, M & S is £7000 a year  :-\  there are big differences in the amount you can claim from Halifax for Behavioural intervention compared with M & S,  and M & S offer twice the amount of third party liability cover than Halifax.

The accidental damage cover offered by M & S is for damage to your own property, whereas the Halifax cover specifically excludes your own property. I've never seen the point of any accidental damage cover that excludes your own property tbh - because the third party liability element of the insurance covers damage to other peoples property anyway, so it is basically a gimmick to make cheaper policies look "as good" as more comprehensive cover  ;)

You get what you pay for - if you pay a lower premium, the cover is less; it just depends whether that element of the cover is something you feel is worth paying for or risk doing without  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline niqnet

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 11:34:42 PM »

Healthy Pet Insurance here also!!
Nicole xxxx :-)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 09:55:39 AM »
Healthy Pet here too. Good deal for two dogs. My priorities were vet bills and causing road accidents. Advertising for missing pet cover is already covered by his special tag with Missing Pets Bureau which also has microchip and dna samples .
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 11:04:41 AM »
Halifax is one of the Insurance Companies that have written their policy in such a way that if you chose not to have your dog vaccinated their whole policy can be invalidated

Its stupid isn't it to think that may be a broken leg in a road accident could be equated with vaxing!
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 02:16:35 PM »
I've just looked at Healthy Pets and it seems to cover £5,000 per incident (Gold - which is the top one)  and not £5,000 per year so if she was to have something wrong with her which needed ongoing treatment, I would only be covered for £5,000 over the course of her life for that one incident.   Am I reading that right?   Hopefully I would never need to claim that but want to be prepared for all eventualities as then wouldn't be able to change insurance policies as she would be excluded against that illness/treatment.   Does anyone think £5,000 would be enough to cover her for one incident per life.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 03:53:14 PM »
Does anyone think £5,000 would be enough to cover her for one incident per life.

I don't think it necessarily would, which is why I chose M & S  ;)    Conditions such as dry-eye, diabetes or many other chronic conditions will need treatment for the rest of the dogs life - and £5000 won't necessarily cover all the examinations/medication/surgery required  :-\
Oldies Club

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 04:01:25 PM »
Thats what I thought to be honest, i wouldn't want to be stuck paying vet bills after this limit has been reached.  I've seen quite a few insurance companies who only cover an amount per incident and its not always clear until you read the small print which is why I had narrowed it down to M&S, Halifax and Petplan who all cover for life.   Thanks for your previous comments about Halifax.     The lifetime vet bill cover is more important to me than an amount per claim (for my own peace of mind). 

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 05:40:12 PM »
just an aside, my M&S policy also has no excess to pay, therefore I can get all my vet bills paid in full.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 05:47:55 PM »
just an aside, my M&S policy also has no excess to pay, therefore I can get all my vet bills paid in full.

I have heard, but don't know for sure, that M & S are no longer offering the "no excess" option to new customers  :huh:
Oldies Club

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 05:59:43 PM »
M&S do not offer no excess to new customers. it was either £75 or £80.00.

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 06:07:03 PM »
I didn't know that !

When I got my renewal last time, April I think, I thought at first that I had lost the 'no excess' but on reading through it was added on (typed in) at the end of doc.

In that case , they'll probably find some way of taking it away from existing customers as well I suppose  :-\

Offline JackieandCasey

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 06:23:29 PM »
Hi I'm with M&S and yes they've removed the No excess option. This also applies to excisting customers at next renewal.

I kept Casey with them even though it costs me £45 a month for her(she's 10 and half) mainly because of the No excess but i think i might shop around at renewal.
I have to say they are a fantastic company to deal with though and never any problems when it comes to claiming and i've certainly put in a few thousand pounds worth of those for my other dog    :'(
Jackie and Casey